Any Bosses Here w/ Curmudgeon Employees?

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Botox Barnacle, Feb 28, 2015.

1. Botox Barnacle

Botox Barnacle Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    About 5 months ago, I took over a crew of about 22 people with the company I work for. They wanted to embed me into a complicated and problem area that has morale and efficiency concerns, observe the structure and workflow, and then clean shit up.

Going into the 6th month, my focus is honing in on a small group (5) of curmudgeons that have been with the company the longest, and over the years have fallen out of love with what they do for a living and their own dead end futures. These five guys have all become bitter, worn down, anti-social, and worst of all: They have spread negativity and have become a cancerous influence to the younger, greener, and fresher employees on a daily basis (usually done behind the scenes).

I believe this to be the root of the problem within this area. Horrible morale within the department that has been seasoned over the years by these Bringers of Disease.

Any experiences with these types of negative employees out there and how you eventually dealt with them? Negativity is such a complex and cloudy reason to get rid of someone (especially when it's not blatantly done in the open), but it's real, and it's there.

2. Butcher

Butcher ?

Reputations:
    Many times. How is their performance?

3. Botox Barnacle

Reputations:
    Mediocre and average. I think this is where the focus will be for getting them out. They aren't horrible, but they aren't rockstars.

kingship and 1Vegasgirl like this.
  4. Butcher

Butcher ?

Reputations:
    Have a 1:1 with them. Set expectations. Set a specific timetable for improvement (60 days). Give ongoing feedback then put them on paper if they don't perform. They'll either shape up, or retire (voluntarily or involuntarily).

5. Botox Barnacle

Reputations:
    I thought about hitting them up with the paper and timetable immediately to send a complete shock to the system, but verbal expectations might be the way to go first. Again, they are not under-performing - It's just piss poor attitudes.

6. Butcher

Butcher ?

Reputations:
    Yeah, HR these days needs a paper trail before anything happens. Attitude is enough to deliver a warning but it's hard to quantify sometimes for HR purposes.

7. Botox Barnacle

Reputations:
    Yeah. As sinister as it sounds, I can probably drum up concerns based on their performance. Can't get rid of all 5 at the same time, but I can work on the weaker ones of the pack (2 of them are not as talented and delivering as consistently as the others). I'm thinking, cut 2 off at the knees, and watch how the other 3 react.

8. Butcher

Butcher ?

Reputations:
    That message will spread quickly. Plan it and deliver the message this week while we're still in the 1st quarter.

Botox Barnacle likes this.
  9. Botox Barnacle

Reputations:
    I like how you think, Butcher.

1Vegasgirl likes this.
  10. Butcher

Butcher ?

Reputations:
    I had one guy nose to nose one time threatening to stomp me into the ground. He was 6' 450 lbs. I stood my ground. I won, he lost.

You have to run the business and they need to know who's the boss. You'll win the respect of the others on your "team" as well. They know these guys are a cancer too.

11. Botox Barnacle

Reputations:
    I'm looking forward to destroying their sense of entitlement that has built up over the years.

kingship, 1Vegasgirl and smichal like this.
  12. Butcher

Butcher ?

Reputations:
    Jesus. Sounds like we work for the same company :shitbricks:

Pussy Tendon and Botox Barnacle like this.
  13. Quedee

Quedee Wise Ass Extraordinaire

Reputations:
    Been in your situation. You are on the right track. You need to document the poor performers and get them out. This will send a wake up call to the others and hopefully get them to change. If they don't eliminate them one by one.

Botox Barnacle and Butcher like this.
  14. smichal

smichal A1 Dick Game

Reputations:
    if you do this, they will band against you.

are you able to break up the team - swap people from other teams?

I worked in a place like that. A lot of people had been there for over 10 years and were so miserable, lazy, etc.

15. Walrus

Walrus Active Member VIP

Reputations:
    Problem is that by doing that you are putting them in a group of good performers. For some reason people like these under performers always seem to infect the people they work with. I work with a person that is always sitting around doing nothing. The problem is newer people look at him and think he has already completed his work and then go ask him for advice. It never fails, you can walk around the corner and he's always chit chatting with a new employee.

I worked at a place that had a team of "problem employees." My company actually asked all the managers if a few of them would mind being "the most hated group of managers in the building." They wanted to move problem workers to their teams as a way of letting people know they had 6-8 months to get their ass in gear. One day you'd be sitting at your desk goofing off, the next day the manager would tell you "Hey, tomorrow I need you to move your stuff over here for the next few months." People got the message. They either improved dramatically or they started looking for other work on their downtime. Most of them were still with the place after I left. They moved them back to their original groups and word spread about the "special group." If I ever become management in a cubicle farm you can be damn sure I'm going to look for managers that don't mind being hated and put them in charge of the boneheads that slow everything down and just come to work to goof off.

16. Pussy Tendon

Pussy Tendon Wet! CUNT!!!!! Gold

Reputations:
    I manage a group of about 20, but do it with mainly remotes (I'm remote, too). A couple good firings seem to wake people up. Having the support of the HR department is critical. A guy who doesn't report to me thinks he's Gods gift to networking but is a total fuck to work with - he has a toxic attitude and threatens he could get a new job tomorrow. Well fucker, it's about time to call that bluff. If he worked for me he'd already be gone. His boss is so terrified the skill loss will be a problem-- I think the improvement in morale will more than make up for it. Oh well, can't run it all.

Botox Barnacle, smichal and Quedee like this.
  17. Beths Arab

Beths Arab Well-Known Member VIP Gold

Reputations:
    Is it a decent job with decent pay,benefits, etc or are they all just sick of getting fucked over and treated like shit?

18. Quedee

Quedee Wise Ass Extraordinaire

Reputations:
    Another approach that may be a good 1st step is to seek out the "leader" is and have a heart to heart with him. Air it all out and let him know what your concerns are and why you were brought in to head up the department. If you can get him to change, the others will usually follow suit.

Gusbuss, Alisonsbankacct and Mlaw like this.
  19. King Schmaltz

King Schmaltz Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Put the worst of them or the ringleader on a personal improvement plan. This will start the paper trail for HR to fire them or early retirement. It will also set goals that you have created for the associate to meet and improve upon. The plan also lets you have the documentation for poor performance and attitude and helps establish that you're in control of the department not them. I had to do this at my work and the other's straighten out quick when the ringleader was put in the plan and had benchmarks to reach or she'd be fired.

20. SorryBoff

SorryBoff Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    It is impossible to get someone to fall back in love with an employer, these guys probably have a negative feeling for the day's work ahead of them before they walk in the door.

The loudest mouth has to go, if you cannot find a way to get rid of him for his performance or attendance, you have to egg him into a confrontation, whether you ride his ass for awhile, criticize his performance in front of others, whatever you have to do to get him to scream and cuss you. From there it's as simple as termination for insubordination.

Not the prettiest way to go but these other guys, even the ones whom you've already targeted as problems, know the loudmouth was a cancer. Morale does improve once the dust settles. Sometimes these other problem employees have just been friends with the loudmouth so long that they fall into a routine with the complaining, maybe they're not as far gone.

I had to go this road about ten years ago, my HR guy didn't approve the termination for insubordination, instead suspended him for a week w/o pay. a few weeks later the loudmouth went over my head and when that didn't go the way he wanted it to, he started screaming at the plant mgr, then he was gone.

Good luck.

OV, Botox Barnacle, smichal and 2 others like this.