Any Windows 3.1 users here?

Discussion in 'The Bar' started by crazypreacher, Dec 12, 2015.

1. crazypreacher

crazypreacher Hey yo

Reputations:
    Fire up Prodigy and let's discuss.[​IMG]

RenchFries and Gomez like this.
  2. Capn Crud

Capn Crud The Pride of Cucamonga VIP Gold

Reputations:
  3. crazypreacher

crazypreacher Hey yo

Reputations:
    CRT monitors had a manly heft to them.

RenchFries likes this.
  4. Mike

Mike 'Merica Gold

Reputations:
    I thought about making this thread.

5. gwartney

gwartney Unafilliated Gold

Reputations:
    I held out going to Windows until I pretty much had to.

6. Nickthedick

Nickthedick Absotutely

Reputations:
    I still have a laptop running 3.1...i was blown away when i powered it up and it actually booted.

RenchFries likes this.
  7. Nickthedick

Nickthedick Absotutely

Reputations:
    windows 2000 was the best

8. DryOatmeal

DryOatmeal Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    2000 pro

i used 3.1 back in 94 came with my $5000 60 mhz pentium machine packard bell

i had to have the first pentium and was all pissed when a week later the 66 mhz chip came out

9. DryOatmeal

Reputations:
    i still have a Dell tower from 2002 running xp pro 24/7

it's noisy

10. Nickthedick

Nickthedick Absotutely

Reputations:
    did those turbo buttons do anything?

11. Tranquil

Tranquil Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I remember when I was a young kid my dad gave me my first computer, it had windows 3.1 on it, I used to play Sim City on it, was fun as hell.

12. DryOatmeal

Reputations:
    i have a whole sealed plastic bag of 3.1 somewhere in this house that came with my packard bell in 94 or 95 (my first PC ever)

i fell away from computers for a brief short time which is why i never got a PC earlier than 3.1. i was preoccupied with other things when i turned 21 like work, gambling and twinks 24/7 i was probably 21 22 23 ish

actually i got back into computers inadvertently. one of my twinks wanted the new play station (the first one) and we ended up going into a game store at the mall that sold 99% games for PC and i just happened to ask the boy working there what the fastest computer currently was and he told me about the new pentium chip that just came out so i went over to Sears and they had Pentium systems on sale for $4500 so i said fuck it and got one

but, before that i can remember using the "world wide web" for the first time ever from my Atari 800 over an acoustic modem. you had to dial into this company called "digex NJ" and from there you could access the WWW

text only and you needed to know Unix commands to use it. i only knew one person with an email and he worked at AT&T. i loaned him one of my Atari computers to use at home and we would email and FTP files to each other just to fuck around with the technology it was much easier to just pick up the phone and talk lol

that wasn't till the very early 90s tho

i got the atari 800 when it first came out probably around 79 or so. i ended up with 3 or 4 Atari computers 800 800xL 1200XL and for the hell of it a 600XL that i found at the mall at wall to wall sound and video at a ridiculous clearance price so i got that for my sister to get her into computers. i got her a modem too so we could type to each other from our bedrooms :geeks: :geek: :nerd: :nerds:

i would dial into BBS (bulletin board systems) i got this book from this little computer store called "the computer phone book" that had a listing of every "current" BBS running in the world

i always wanted to get an auto-answer modem and multiplexer and set up my own BBS but never got around to it

the first "network" i ever dialed into was Dow Jones and that was only because they came to my hs and wanted our library to put their computer online (still no web yet)

nobody in the whole school knew anything about computer modems so they asked me if i could bring my modem in and help the Dow Jones guy to the demo for the library, the principal and vp's and the whole business department of teachers (most of them knew me anyway) one of them gave me an award at graduation that i wasn't expecting at all with a nice new hundred dollar bill inside. i used it as a bookmark for a while. my parents were rich and bought me anything i wanted anyway

i stole the Dow Jones guy's password and started using it at home and because he came in every day for a week i figured out that he only changed one digit at the end of his password every day so i kept using it at home for a year or so then Compu Serve came out then prodigy then AOL

i can remember when they charged by the minute for that shit and in the early years a lot of them were long distance calls to boot

my "responsible" mom would yell at me and i'd ignore her and did what i wanted anyway

13. DryOatmeal

Reputations:
    my mom took me into a real apple store in the mid to late 70s in Princeton (nothing like the shit stores they got today)

i was like a little kid in a candy shop

14. RenchFries

RenchFries Official Dawgshed Dutch representative Gold

Reputations:
    :lol: I forgot about the turbo button that computers used to have.
    Very stable OS... basically XP without the media features.

I like windows 10 the best of them all, honestly. Great features, and very fast and stable.