Entertainment Anybody else skipping "Hateful Eight"?

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Fillmore Fingers, Dec 26, 2015.

1. Fillmore Fingers

Fillmore Fingers Sandy Vag Banned User

Reputations:
    QT lost me after Kill Bill. The fact that he allowed the Weinsteins to cut it so they could make 2x the money in DVD and ticket sales was bad enough.

Then he had to release two more PONDEROUS movies. I thought Django and Basterds were shit.

2. mrhoss

mrhoss Active Member

Reputations:
    I have to see it at least once. Django was alright, but it's the only Tarantino movie I watched only one time. That was enough.

3. nearly.normal

nearly.normal Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    So dont watch it ... wgas

You act like watching his movies is required by law and you are some rebel outlaw not watching it

Horff, Skipnoid, Dave Jones and 14 others like this.
  4. nearly.normal

nearly.normal Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    and just finished it.. funmovie

5. Tranquil

Tranquil Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I liked it, kinda slow but I was entertained the whole time.

6. GivRodnyachance

GivRodnyachance Overt Racist Banned User

Reputations:
    Django was pure fiction. From what I have read, slaves were treated quite well and many in fact wanted to continue on as slaves even after the emancipation proclamation because they got a place to stay and three square meals a day. I got through about half of "Hateful Eight". It was just too long and boring. The guy needs to edit his movies better.

7. tempetoro

tempetoro Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Hateful eight was okay. Long buildup and fun payoff but doesn't need to be watched again. Tim Roth seemed to be doing his best christolph waltz impression which I found annoying.

8. Ta Ta Toothy

Ta Ta Toothy Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    The woman who edited all of his movies died in a freak hiking accident a few years ago. Whoever is editing his films now doesn't believe in the old saying "Less is more".

I haven't seen Hateful Eight yet. If a theatre near me shows the roadshow version, I'll check it out. Otherwise, I'll wait for the blu-ray to come out.

I love all of Tarantino's films. Personally, I think he's another liberal douchbag with his "all cops are murderers" rant, but I can separate the jerk from the artist when watching his movies.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2015
  9. Fillmore Fingers

Reputations:
    Thats my main beef. He thinks his every word needs to be filmed. Pulp fiction was brilliant but I don't understand why people still kiss his ass.

10. funnymoney

funnymoney Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    No wai doo. I'm seeing it as soon as it comes to my theater. The only Tarantino movie I didn't really like was Death Proof when it was part of a double feature, released as Grindhouse in theaters. I haven't tried to watch it since, I might have not liked it from being fatigued sitting there so long, not to mention they added a "Missing Reel" moment in the movie and it seemed short and disjointed. Tarantino is just about as good, original, and consistent as a writer/director gets.

11. EmperorsNewCaps

EmperorsNewCaps Member

Reputations:
    Pulp Fiction is a long-ass movie with a lot of superfluous scripting/dialogue, too, I don't know when the last time you've watched it was.

I'm just tired of the spaghetti westerns. The second half of Kill Bill went spaghetti western. Inglorious Basterds took WW2 iconagraphy and filmed it like a spaghetti western, Django was a spaghetti "southern," and this new one... yet another spaghetti western.

12. EmperorsNewCaps

EmperorsNewCaps Member

Reputations:
    Granted, I didn't see it in theaters, but Death Proof was just as tedious as you're describing watching by itself.

and I like Tarantino, he's good and consistent like you say, but uh... original? Not really. He samples different films like a rap producer samples different records. You seek out the original releases he bites and it's straight scenes/shots he lifts bit-by-bit.

DinnerSocks likes this.
  13. Fillmore Fingers

Reputations:
    It was at least fresh.

He needs to do a biopic or a TV series because I think he's in a rut.

JFK likes this.
  14. EmperorsNewCaps

EmperorsNewCaps Member

Reputations:
    Any different genre and I'd be psyched.

ScottBaiosPenis likes this.
  15. EmperorsNewCaps

EmperorsNewCaps Member

Reputations:
    Oh, and it mostly annoys me that he started replaying soundtrack selections film to film at one point.

Like the main theme for Inglorious Basterds was some Ennio Morricone titles theme he already used a bunch in Kill Bill.
    Django had a couple tracks he already used in Kill Bill as well.

I used to look so forward to his music selections, now I just sit and count how many I've heard him use before.

16. Shithead

Shithead Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I'd like to see him do one season of "Fargo"

Roadie, RenchFries, inlimbo76 and 4 others like this.
  17. funnymoney

Reputations:
    Well you are right, Tarantino's movies are not original in that the basis of the tone, style, and basic story ideas are strongly inspired by cool cinematic shit from the 60s and 70s. Honestly, everything in cinema is derivative to a certain extent unless it's avant garde, and who wants to watch that? I probably misused the term in my post, but I think I mean "original" more in terms that each story is meaningful, it is not something exactly like 10 other major movies we have recently seen, it's basically self contained in a 2 and a half hour or shorter movie (excepting Kill Bill - which should have been edited into a a single three and a half hour movie and screw the people who wouldn't sit there that long.) There is a certain moment or many moments that everyone can take away from the movies and remember years and years after they saw it, as if it was burned into their minds.

I am pretty biased though, I even went back and read the Tarantino scripts that he didn't direct (True Romance and Natural Born Killers). Those movies would have been classics had Tarantino been given the opportunity to direct them. Maybe not everyone is a big fan but I think basically everything he's made is worth watching even for the unacquainted.

18. funnymoney

Reputations:
    That is a good point. I haven't really waited for the soundtrack since Kill Bill vol 1.

Edit: and the music was just as important as anything in his first four films, it did wane after that.

RenchFries likes this.
  19. funnymoney

Reputations:
    Good point about his editor. I think she made the movies she worked on much better than they would have been.

As far as Tarantino's views towards police, I think he has been railroaded to a large degree. His comments were practically rewritten and taken out of context in headlines, his dad he never met was curiously put on TV and that was heavily reported on, and the whole thing was blown up in an effort to destroy his career. Did he really say "all cops are murderers?" I can't find that quote, it doesn't seem to exist. After reading his original comments at the rally that I can find and listening to his interviews on Howard and Opie with Jimmy, I can understand his basic argument. The 24 hour news cycle has gotten into the business of creating outrage for their own ratings, it's really silly.

20. goldphoenix

goldphoenix Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    As much as I like his movies, I just can't sit in a movie theater for over 3 hours. You get there a little early to find a seat, then 20 minutes of trailers (which most people have already seen on line) and then the movie has a 2 hour and 45 minute run time. I will wait for Blu-Ray.