Anybody go to college here aka pay student loans?

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by artful dodger, Mar 2, 2014.

1. artful dodger

artful dodger Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    do i have to continue paying these bills?

somebody told me don't pay and settle for thousands less?

somebody told me certain agency can knock off good percentage?

somebody halp pls thanks

howard stern related because howard invented college isn't that right robin?

robin?

here's a picture of beth

[​IMG]

2. sheet metal wor

sheet metal wor Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Dont worry about your taxpayer gift. We will do some overtime for you

3. dawg

dawg In The Dog House Staff Member

Reputations:
    Student loans are not like regular loans. Don't listen to that idiot. If you don't pay you will be in deep shit. Are you dealing with Sallie Mae? If so, they are more ruthless than the Nazi party. Yo better pay bro and on time.

4. artful dodger

artful dodger Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    what gift? i pay bills out the ears mate

indeed dawg they are ridic man - there must be a way to reduce the loan without paying all at once thus eliminating interest.. ? ugh

5. nearly.normal

nearly.normal Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    There are income based repayment plans. If your debt is high compared to income.

I'll admit I skipped out on the last $3900 of a larger loan for about 3 years. Fess sent it much higher during the period of course. I ignored everything they sent me.

Once I got a decent job I contacted them and said I have $3000 now to give you, not sure when I'll have more and they took it as a settlement.

This was 20 years ago. Probably wouldn't try that today.

6. NyMarkNy

NyMarkNy VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    My Wife had 250k in student loans when we met (she's a doctor). I immediately took a home equity loan at 3.5 percent and paid it off.

Her private bank loans were at 4% but accounted for only 30 grand. The rest were government loans at 6.5%. What a joke.

7. ElRexican

ElRexican Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    my buddy filed for bankruptcy but still has to pay back his student loans....

so i don't know but that seems like you're stuck with them.

but hey, at least you be edumacated now!

:mexican:

8. scoobyla

scoobyla Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Actually, the gov makes a profit from student loans, thereby having to collect less tax from you.
    He will work overtime to pay the interest.
    I want you to thank the OP, for his taxpayer gift to you.

9. peterfonda

peterfonda Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Fortunately, I'm old enough to have gone to college when tuition was $40 per credit. I used to work summers on a loading dock to pay my tuition for an entire year. 32 credits a year came to $1,280. I did take out loans for law school, though, and owed the banks $25,000 when all was said and done. I graduated into a recession and couldn't get full time employment for over a year after I graduated. The loan company hounded me by phone every day to start paying, even demanding that I get money from friends and relatives. Shitheads. I finally paid off my last loan in 2000.

10. TehLivingDeath

TehLivingDeath New Member Banned User

Reputations:
    The days of going to college and telling the Government to "fuck off" when the student-loans come due are long over. If you value your credit score, pay them. If you don't value your credit score, then you're a fucking moron.

11. Lester

Lester Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Student loans are the only loan that won't go away. Even if you declare bankruptcy. The interest rate accrues almost daily too. I finally paid mine off. Sent them a check for the final amount, and still owed $35 because more interest was applied from the day I sent the check and the day they cashed it. Sallie Mae is worse then a loan shark.

12. azman5103

azman5103 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Student loans are fucking terrible. As others have said, they don't go away, and the interest accrues pretty much daily.

To give you an example, I am fairly lucky in that I have less than 20K in loans (it took another 10-15k out of pocket to get through school...but thats another story).

I have been paying ~$250 bucks a month for the last 2 years, and my principal has not gone down one penny. I asked the Sallie Mae person when I started this "payment plan" when the loans would be paid off at this rate...and the answer was basically never.

My best advice would be to set up a low monthly payment plan...make payments to make sure they are all in good standing...and then try to get a conventional loan from a bank. I have never tried any of the "services"...although I know people that have. While this might seem crazy, a bank will set you up with a loan, a payment plan...and most importantly an END DATE. You will actually know when your loans will be paid off, and that at least gives you some piece of mind. Then...whenever you have spare money...put it with your payment. If you can afford to send in an extra payment every few months, you will take quite a chunk out of the principal.

Also, if you have any more schooling to do...try going directly through your school. They will usually have a payment plan. It will be much shorter, but will be interest free.

To sum it all up, college is horseshit. You pay a lot of money to get a piece of paper that allows you to get certain jobs... that's it. You will learn more in the first 4 days once you actually get the job than you did in the 4 years it took to be "qualified".

13. stripes

stripes Active Member Banned User

Reputations:
    i worked my ass off thro college 20yrs ago & had small debt that i paid off first year. then married, bought houses & been miserable ever since.:facepalm:

14. stripes

Reputations:
    ya, all the required bullshit courses to get your degree, spose to make you well rounded, fucking scam. & profs boning all the coeds.

15. stripes

Reputations:
    the good news is you married a dr, the bad news is, you aint going anywhere. 250k? hope she's a surgeon.

16. stripes

Reputations:
    do you still practice or did you say fuck it yet?

17. NyMarkNy

NyMarkNy VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Fortunately for me my job is better :)

18. qb123

qb123 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    The government is worst than any loan shark when it comes to getting back their money from a student loan you are going to pay back every penny you borrowed and then some.

19. Rocinante

Rocinante Well-Endowed Member Gold

Reputations:
    Law school is a waste of time these days unless you go to a top tier school. Jobs are scarce and don't pay well when you are facing a six figure debt.

20. noname2

noname2 Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:
    People take out loans too easily now. I went to school awhile ago, but worked my ass off to get scholarships. I also worked through school and full time summers in a fucking factory. I see a lot of kids now that just take out loans, and think they can skip out on them. Meanwhile they are wearing designer label clothes and buying daily lattes at Fourbucks. Get a job, or two, Motherf'er.