Anybody have Kids in College?

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Skipnoid, Mar 7, 2015.

1. Skipnoid

Skipnoid Lick Me!

Reputations:
    I have one.

Scarlett Ohara likes this.
  2. Newly OBrien

Newly OBrien Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Yup, two girls, and one more not too far off. ... I've been drinking a lot more lately.

3. Shithead

Shithead Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Collage is overated and too expensive and too many graduates out there competing for the same jobs.....Kid nowadays should learn a trade

4. Skipnoid

Skipnoid Lick Me!

Reputations:
    So, I guess we'll put you down for a "no" ??? :dontknow:

Scarlett Ohara and Shithead like this.
  5. Shithead

Reputations:
    My kids went to a local college for a year or two...It was the 13th grade for them

6. Newly OBrien

Reputations:
    You make a very good point. My oldest is a MIS major which is in a sense training as opposed to education.

7. Tranquil

Tranquil Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Yea, Junior Colleges are a big waste of time.

8. Tranquil

Reputations:
    Do you think it's the parents responsibility to pay for their kids college education? My parents gave me about 2 grand and the rest is up to me.

9. Skipnoid

Skipnoid Lick Me!

Reputations:
    It depends ... is the money in your little squirrel cheeks?

TeeDonkey likes this.
  10. Newly OBrien

Reputations:
    Community colleges seem to be indicative of a failing public education system. If a high school can't turn out kids that can count change or seamlessly move into a local low pressure job, then a community college steps in a provides those services for a relatively inexpensive fee.

I did my time in the service before college and worked my way through, but it was much less expensive then. My kids worked and saved. Instead of paying for school outright we invested their savings and took out a loan with an interest rate lower than they are earning. I currently have an MBA and am finally able to call some of my own shots. :yes:

Scarlett Ohara likes this.
  11. Tranquil

Reputations:
    Most of it, I do have to make room for my nuts though.

Skipnoid likes this.
  12. Shithead

Reputations:
    No, but i'm old school and that's how i was raised....If i had wanted to go to college {i didn't} my old man would of said, "go ahead, but i ain't paying for it"...I learned a trade, and it has treated me well and never paid a dime for college

13. Tranquil

Reputations:
    I went to a trade school and received a degree. That gave me a trade and I'm so glad I did, because before that, I was going no where in life, and would probably being doing construction for the rest of my life if I hadn't

I never knew what to make of my parents not helping me out more, not sure if I should be resentful; or accept it as, this was my choice to go to college, and they aren't obligated to pay for it. Looks like it is not something parents are obligated to do, but it's more like an added bonus in life, if they do pay.

14. Tranquil

Reputations:
    Right on, so with an MBA does that mean you manage people? Or is it more involved?

15. Shithead

Reputations:
    And what would've been so bad about that?
    At what point does the financial responsibilities for being a parent end?...My belief is 18...Being resentful after that is just being spoile

Last edited: Mar 7, 2015
    Newly OBrien likes this.
  16. Tranquil

Reputations:
    Nothing wrong with construction but I didn't have any skill, I worked at a place called Labor Ready and I just dug ditches all day long, it wasn't getting me anywhere in life. If you have a skill in construction it's great, you can make a good living.

Agreed, I know I probably came across as somewhat spoiled sounding. And I will probably make my self sound even worse here, but It's that my dad makes about 200k a year, his house is paid for and he has a ton of money, for him to pay off my loans wouldn't really be a big financial burden to him, but it would help me out tremendously. But, like I said I never have had a clear thought on the subject, and I've never once brought it up to my parents, because I think I may be in wrong, and I should let it go. I'm not perfect in my thinking a lot of times, which is why I like to discuss with others.

TeeDonkey likes this.
  17. Shithead

Reputations:

Sounds like dad has made it and probably did it on his own....There's a lot to be said about that

18. Tranquil

Reputations:
    Yes and no, he got the job through marrying my mom, because my grandpa (my moms dad) set him up with a nice spot in the company, he never went to college (so he never paid any student loans). He got his house because his dad gave it to him, bought and paid for (never had to pay a mortgage in his life). He never had to work hard to get where he is, it was sort of handed down to him. So it just kind of earks me is all; by the way I don't go around all day resenting him or anything, it's just something that from time to time I think about.

Just curious, do you think I'm in the wrong for even thinking this? I'm just trying to get some perspective.

19. Shithead

Reputations:
    Not wrong in thinking it, i guess that's normal but it would be wrong to expect it

20. Tranquil

Reputations:
    You know I think I may be one of those spoiled kids I always thought I wasn't, but I am. I definitely have some maturing to do, this I know, I will keep this mind. Thanks

TeeDonkey likes this.