Anybody here use Crashplan? Or have recommendations?

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Chimney Portions, Apr 30, 2013.

1. Chimney Portions

Chimney Portions I drink cum Banned User

Reputations:
    I nearly lost a Tb of data today. I didn't, thankfully, but the risk of it scared the shit out of me. I'm now seriously thinking about an encrypted cloud backup, but I have no experience with this.

Has anybody used Crashplan? So far it seems the best for what I need. The price is great and there's unlimited storage space and file size. I understand that moving a few Tbs of data is going to be slow as fuck, but I can live with that.

From your knowledge, is there any:
    -Unforeseen downsides?
    -Risks?
    -Better alternatives?
    -Unmentioned limitations (other than speed)?

Any info and opinions are appreciated.

2. Ipokesmot

Ipokesmot Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:
    No, I'm not sending my stuff to some god-knows-what remote server. I just use 3 hard drives and manually backup important stuff.

3. InstigatinMofo

InstigatinMofo Active Member

Reputations:
    backing up terabytes to the cloud doesnt make much sense to me, seems very impractical.
    buy a couple of external HDs, they are very cheap these days

try somethiong like this. http://www.2brightsparks.com/syncback/sbpro.html

Last edited: Apr 30, 2013
  4. Goods

Goods Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    My Drobo lives inside my gun safe and is hardwired to my server.

5. cia212

cia212 Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    I have a hard drive dock, it's easy to just pop the drives in, do the backups, then put them back in the safe. I haven't used Crashplan, but some storage software can be a nightmare to use...it either hogs resources or is full of adware.

6. NotMyBro

NotMyBro VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    I have all of my data on Crashplan. I'm happy with the service. Never rely on a single point of failure.

My primary go-to backup is my TimeMachine server which has incremental backups that are up to few minutes old. It continually backs everything up automatically. I then back that up to Crashplan servers once a week (it's also automatic). Unless it's something extremely important, I think once a week is good enough. Otherwise it would chew up through gigs of bandwidth quickly.

I used this to upload my initial backup: http://support.crashplan.com/doku.php/feature/seed_service

Basically, they send you a 1TB drive, you encrypt and upload your data to it and you FedEx it back. That saves you a ton of time & bandwidth and you can do this initially if you have a lot of data.

I've used TimeMachine twice so far to get a backup (2 years ago when my HDD failed and 7months ago when my SDD failed). Never used Crahsplan to recover anything (didn't have to) but I sleep well knowing that it's there if need be.

Word of advice: stay the fuck away from manual solutions! Before TM, I used all kinds of utils to manually backup but would always forget and leave it for tomorrow. I ended up not doing it often enough. Stick with your OS-provided automatic solutions as a first line of defense. Use Crashplan/Mozy as a second line.

7. Chimney Portions

Reputations:
    Sweet, thanks. That's exactly what I wanted to hear.

8. chuk

chuk Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Ditto. The initial seed may take a long time (weeks), but it's no big deal. After that, you are just doing incremental files and it is fast. I highly recommend Crashplan. You can get a free year by using this link:

https://www.crashplan.com/carboniteswitcher/

In regards to this:

"Unless it's something extremely important, I think once a week is good enough. Otherwise it would chew up through gigs of bandwidth quickly."

I don't understand. Why not just do it every day (or hour). You are either sending 10meg 7 times, or 70 megs one time. Still the same amount of total bandwidth.

9. Skyway

Skyway New Member VIP

Reputations:
    Drobos are great. I think they're striped RAID 5 so even if a drive goes bad you won't lose any data.

I just don't do backups as often as I should.

10. HooHoo

HooHoo Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Another vote for the free 1-year subscription to crashplan, @chuk beat me to it! https://www.crashplan.com/carboniteswitcher/

Its meant for people switching from a competing service, but they dont bother to verify (and have no way to) so off ya go. I've already signed up a few friends on this - dummies that I know dont do backups and I dont want to get the panic calls when a harddisk dies so this is perfect.

Last edited: May 1, 2013
  11. SouthernListen

SouthernListen I don't follow the crowd. Sorry about that. VIP

Reputations:
    Just print an extra copy of everything on your inkjet printer and shove it in the fireplace you never use.. $138,000 and 24 years later you should have a nice safe backup of your data.

12. NotMyBro

Reputations:
    I download a lot and a lot of time I'm on 4G which is expensive so I don't want to risk it. When I connect to my home or office network, my backup is initiated automatically.

Oh, and those of you on SSDs, you MUST continually backup! When SSD crashes, recovery is next to impossible (some companies offer it but it's unreliable and extremely costly). Once my SSD died (and they used to die after 2 years of use), I was able to plug in a new one and restore from TM in under 2 hrs and was back to working like nothing happened. So backup those SSD devices!!!

And worst thing about SSDs, you get ZERO indications that your drive will crash! No clicking, no slowdown, no SMART checking… they'll just die all of a sudden.

Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2013
  13. Chimney Portions

Reputations:
    I didn't even consider this option. Thanks!

14. DrivenByDemons

DrivenByDemons Spinoff Jesus Staff Member

Reputations:
    Use truecrypt to create a secure container first if you have sensitive stuff.

15. HooHoo

HooHoo Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    John Hein says truecrypt gives you plausible deniability.

God only knows what manner of filth he's got squirreled away on his drives.

16. nicksgt

nicksgt Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Crashplan? Is this another thread about that thing in Afghanistan Monday?

17. NotMyBro

Reputations:
    No need to wonder. I think we can all make a guess :D

[​IMG]

As for Truecrypt, the issue is backup. It has no way of incremental backups. You have to mirror whole partitions. http://www.truecrypt.org/docs/?s=how-to-back-up-securely

I use FileVault 2 on my main laptop and my TM backup and I feel confident that it will stop most from getting anything off it if I get robbed.

18. Chimney Portions

Reputations:
    Thanks again for the info/feedback guys. I went and started my free trial month yesterday. I think I'm going to be happy with this, but holy shit...I'm now backing up a 500gb external drive and, in 17 hours, I haven't even cracked 8 gigs. It'll be August before I back up all my drives. It's not really inconvenient, but it just sounds crazy to think of it in months. I'll probably opt for the seed service when I start my Crashplan+ plan and want to back up my TB drives.

19. TelegramSam

TelegramSam I love Sam's cock Banned User

Reputations:
  20. NotMyBro

Reputations:
    That's why I paid for that "seed service" :) Wish i had fiber.

Single point of failure. Your house catches fire, or your data gets corrupted, and you're fucked. You should have a second line of defense. "Cloud" backup is just that.