Anybody installed a Hybrid drive into their laptop?

Discussion in 'The Bar' started by gwartney, Mar 24, 2013.

1. gwartney

gwartney Unafilliated Gold

Reputations:
    I have the OEM drive now which is a 5400 RPM SATA 1

I am trying to decide if I am going to see much of an improvement if I buy a SATA 3 Hybrid drive.

The motherboard is probably not capable of speeds much faster than 1.5 gb/s The Hybrids claim 6.

Seek time on the new hybrid drives is about 11.0ms. It's something like 12.5 on my old drive

This is kind of my last ditch effort to speed up my old laptop and get a year or so more out of it before replacing. Do you think I'll see some improvement?

I wish the SSD drives had a higher capacity. I know that would be lots quicker but I need more storage.

TIA and all that.:):shit::shit:

2. gwartney

Reputations:
    Real flippin techie crowd in here today.

3. Gomez

Gomez Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I have an old IBM ThinkPad
    seems to work :dontknow:

4. gwartney

Reputations:
    Did you install a hybrid or a full SSD? I was thinking you told me it was an SSD..

5. TelegramSam

TelegramSam I love Sam's cock Banned User

Reputations:
    I haven't put one into a laptop, but I have an old IBM/Intel server that I still use and put an SSD in. I would say it saw about a 30% increase in file transfer times. What I don't understand is why you want the hybrid; you can buy a Samsung 120gb SSD for $93 on Amazon and if you need more space than that just use an external drive.

6. walleye

walleye Active Member Banned User

Reputations:
    Fuck laptops. iPad is all I need. Got the latest Dell laptop a month ago. Windows 8. Couldn't figure out how to check the weather. Gave it to my daughter.

7. gwartney

Reputations:
    I already have a desktop with an SSD in it. I don't need another non-portable PC. I carry this one every day and use it in my car, office, other people's homes, restaurants, etc. Last thing I want to do it have to hook up an external every time I want to use it.

I have an iPad. It just can't replace a laptop. For one thing, I can type faster than the stupid thing can accept it. Not bragging, it's just a pain in the ass to have to stop and wait for it to catch up. Storage is another problem. Plus I use Photoshop and Publisher for work and there's no way an Ipad will work well with them. A couple of our applications at work are not compatible with the Ipad either.

8. HeinousMark

HeinousMark Creepy-Ass Cracka VIP

Reputations:
    G I thought I talked you into an SSD a year or so back :scratch:

Anyway, I still don't know what a hybrid is really good for nor why, but I know on my old SATA1 tower, it won't recognize a SATA3 drive; only up to SATA2. And yes, the SATA2 IS faster even though the bus speed (?) is only 1.5G....it's an old Mac, that might be part of it :dontknow: That's about the limit of what I can understand. but OWC has some very good SATA2 and SATA3 drives, reasonably priced:

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/SSD/OWC/

They got great customer service guys that can help you more than I can, too.

9. DarkFriday

DarkFriday Fired as a MOD...Twice. Gold

Reputations:
    TechnoGeek talk :chair:

10. HeinousMark

Reputations:
    I don't know about Windows laptops, but for Macbooks you can get an adapter to replace your optical drive with a second HD....

11. HeinousMark

Reputations:
    My technogeekese is like my Spanish......I know just enough to order food, find a bathroom, or get my ass kicked!!!

12. gwartney

Reputations:
    Yeah, you did talk me into the SSD. I am using one on my Desktop PC and it was like getting a new PC. Now I'm trying to get my laptop to work a little better. With my new job, I use it a lot more. The Hybrid drive has some solid state memory included but just enough to make a larger cache, which is supposed to make it faster than a normal drive but not as fast as an SSD. I read that some motherboards won't take a SATA 3 drive but that the hard drives are supposed to have dip switches or pins to throttle it down for that purpose. I hate to hear that you had a problem. I'll check that place out.

13. Goo For You

Goo For You New Member

Reputations:
    Tech-talk ftw.:yay:

If your goal is to have a snappier OS, you need not worry about the SATA I top speed limitation. The bottleneck is always the disk's performance with low file sizes, i.e. the 0.5 - 4.0 kb range, where "the OS resides".:grad:

[​IMG]

(^ Those numbers are for Samsung 840, one of the top models out there.)

Relatedly, it's my understanding that hybrid drives are shit in this regard. The technology keeps improving so fast that I would definitely fork out the extra to get the newest and the best "real" SSD.

If you have a SATA III disk in your desktop, try it out in your laptop to see if it boots. Googling for device specific compatibility issues is also a good idea.:thumbup2:

:hat: