Anybody know a lot about Gibson guitars?

Discussion in 'Music' started by kelliejean, Sep 20, 2012.

1. kelliejean

kelliejean Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I have a 67 Gibson es 330 cherry color with original case, but I was wanting to sell it to get money to get my dad a 58 rickenbauer 325 replica. Does anyone know about how much they are worth? I got it restored and it is in great shape with original case. The case isn't in perfect condition but definitely good.

2. RH Goatcabin

RH Goatcabin Notable Member VIP

Reputations:
    Gibson > Rickenbacker. Give him the Gibson.

3. jonpow

jonpow Tennessee Jed VIP

Reputations:
    See if there's a similar one on ebay and what it's gping for (sells for, not what they're asking)

4. HeinousMark

HeinousMark Creepy-Ass Cracka VIP

Reputations:
    JonPow ninjered me... Yes, I would study ebay for a few days, see what people are getting for those. You'll probably find dozens of the same model; just make sure the ones you look at aren't reproductions. Gisons are pretty awesome, but a Ricky has a certain chime that nothing else sounds like. Off the top of my head, I think the 325 was favored by Lennon (and Harrison?) and also John Fogerty...

5. RH Goatcabin

Reputations:
    Gibson > Rickenbacker

6. kelliejean

Reputations:
    Thanks I looked around and it is very strange, I've seen them go for 2 to 10 thousand.... I don't know enough to know the difference in the ones I looked at.

It's the guitar Lennon used for the first few early years, and Harrison had a little later model I believe. The Lennon replicas are like 7000 grand so I couldn't imagine what an original goes for. I think rickenbacker has such a distinctive sound, and my dad has always wanted one.

The Gibson I have was his first guitar he got in 67 so probably couldn't get rid of it if it came down to it, but my dad has thought about trading it in before he gave it to me so I was just curious.

7. kelliejean

Reputations:
    Heard you the first time ;).

8. HeinousMark

Reputations:
    After waking up a little, it occurs to me that you're looking at an immense downgrade, at least in terms of lasting value. IF the guitar you have is really a Gibson (not an Epiphone, or some other brand clone), and IF it was really manufactured in 1967 (not a modern re-issue of a '67 model), and IF it has not been significantly modified...then you have something worth a whole lot more than a Ricky re-issue...and I would not jump into anything too quickly or desperately if I were you.....

Here is a cursory sample of what's on eBay right now. None of them is a 67 model, but there are a few mid and late 60's 335s in there......just to give you an idea what you MIGHT be looking at......If it is a legitimate vintage Gibson, there are people out there who'd fuck you over in a heartbeat, especially pawn shops and guitar stores, and me, if you lived nearby....;)

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?LH_I...=&_catref=1&_nkw=gibson es 335&_ipg=200&rt=nc

Contrast those with a Ricky 325 '58 Re-issue, which is apparently no longer in production:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=rickenbacker 325c58

The Ricky is a very good instrument, and very different from a 335, but it's a big step down in value, from what I can tell. Google it up, do a little research, look at guitar auction sites (not just eBay), and educate yourself.......OR, I can give you $100
    cold hard cash right now for it :smile:

9. HeinousMark

Reputations:
    I understand your dilemma a little better now, but if it was me, the fact that it was my dad's first guitar, as well as a damn fine vintage instrument, would leave no room for debate......but I'm selfish, too, and it sounds like you want to do something really special for your dad.....

10. kelliejean

Reputations:
    It is an original and I don't think I could get rid of, it's my dads bday soon and he has talked about the rickenbacker guitar since as far back as I can remember.

I remember my dad and I watching the Sullivan show and all he talked about was that guitar and how it defines the early beatles sound.

I don't know how to post pics but this is the website of the closest match I could find. It even has a similar case to the one I have with the orange lining. It is
    also original but not in as good shape as the guitar.

http://www.google.com/search?q=67 G...Q&biw=1024&bih=690#biv=i|38;d|RgRsrEfAuDLUWM:

It is the red one in the orange lined case that is sitting on the oriental rug. On my search it is next to a pic of some young girl.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2012
  11. R.P. McMurphy

R.P. McMurphy Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    ...pm me a pic or 2 and how much you want.

12. HeinousMark

Reputations:
    Hmmmm, I couldn't determine which pic it was, but that search is for a 330...is yours a 330 or a 335 ??????? Do you know the serial number? The Devil is in the Details, as the old saying goes.......

13. kelliejean

Reputations:
    It is a 330 es. I will give you the serial number when I get home.

14. kelliejean

Reputations:
    I don't know how to post pics and like I said I don't know how much to ask and prolly couldn't sell it if it came down to it... I have gotten a few p s where people are calling crazy for even thinking about selling it. I was just curious about it bc I don't know too much about it.

15. HeinousMark

Reputations:
    I'm inferring that your daddy plays guitar, but, do you also? Or why would he give such a thing to you? Just drunk and curious.

16. kelliejean

Reputations:

He is a great guitar player, he has tried to teach me but I have never been able to pick it up and we usually get into a fight bc he doesn't understand why I can't do it. Haha. He doesn't play his electric much anymore. He has an acoustic that he plays sometimes but he doesn't play like he used to. I have a pretty big music collection, just stuff like albums, books, a couple of guitars, that I have on display in my computer room. So he gave to me to hang on my wall, he knows I will take good care of it and when he wants to play it I live down the street and take it to him.... But that doesn't happen very much. Also it is still in the corner of the room I haven't hung it up yet and have had it for awhile!

17. RH Goatcabin

Reputations:
    Played an ES 330 yesterday, it would be an act of insanity to swap one for a Ricky.

18. HeinousMark

Reputations:
    Personally, I would not hang up a vintage semi-acoustic (much less acoustic) guitar. It needs to be kept in it's case, and a humidifier and hygrometer in the case with it. I learned about this the hard way....:nocheer:

All in all, I'm jelly, though. I fuckin' love guitars, though I can't play worth a fuck, even after decades of trying. I always compare it to sex: I'm embarrassingly horrible at it, usually do it by myself, but I can't seem to stop...

19. newcastlefan

newcastlefan גֵּרְשֹׁם VIP

Reputations:
    you use them to play music, right?

20. kelliejean

Reputations:
    The guy that did a little restoration on the back of it told us would be fine as long as the room stayed at a consistent temperature and not too hot or cold. But for know it stays in the case where it has been for almost 50 years, with exception of when it is being played and it still sounds great.