Anybody quit the 9-5 and started doing something they love?

Discussion in 'The Bar' started by SixShooter, May 16, 2012.

1. SixShooter

SixShooter Member

Reputations:
    I thought when I was in college that I would have the time of my life working 9-5 because of all the money I was making but nobody told me how crappy working full time is. I have NO freedom. I get home from work tired and the weekends I just do chores and relax and when Sunday comes, I'm full of dread of another week of hell. When I was in school, I was making so little money but had tons of freedom and a lot of fun.

I was reading Steve Jobs speech http://news.stanford.edu/news/2005/june15/jobs-061505.html
    and I think he had the right idea. Life's too short to do something you hate. I googled how to find what you love and found this http://briankim.net/blog/2006/07/how-to-find-what-you-love-to-do

I got some ideas out of it and have two ways of getting out. One is going into another career and the other is a business idea to pursue but because of the economy, I don't know if it's wise to make a big move. Anybody here actually have the balls to quit their job and do something they love? How did it turn out? Do you regret your decision?

Wainegro and AmishGirl like this.
  2. Shivvy

Shivvy 100k Post Club

Reputations:
    Clit Eastwood?

3. BleedingGums

BleedingGums Fesh Fox Faggot VIP

Reputations:
    :be:

4. DrivenByDemons

DrivenByDemons Spinoff Jesus Staff Member

Reputations:
    good idea, take all your cash and start a business. it'll all work out, don't worry.

5. deidler

deidler New Member

Reputations:
    Lots of people do it.

6. HaroldJackson

HaroldJackson Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Sometimes you don't love it anymore. and sometimes youre still here at 11:30 still.
    and sometimes you shouldaleft by now but you fucked around on the computer too much today.

7. SixShooter

SixShooter Member

Reputations:
    True. Guess you have to be really disciplined for it to work.

8. VarmintSam

VarmintSam Well-Known Member VIP Gold

Reputations:
    I was sick of the 9-5er and I switched careers started my own biz doing what I loved. I never worked longer or harder in my life, Starting out I was working 13-14hr days 7 days a week, no vacation and a lot of times bringing my work home with me. Long story short its not a good move if you're married or in a relationship because it WILL take its toll. At least with the 9-5 racket its a steady paycheck, benefits and when you go home you leave all the work shit at work (in most cases anyway). Make a list of all the pros/cons and go from there.

9. SixShooter

SixShooter Member

Reputations:
    Damn. Good thing I'm single. I expect the beginning stages to be tough but there is a payoff right? Are you still in the work your ass off stage or are you beginning to reap the fruits of your labor?

10. AlbertoDelRio

AlbertoDelRio Active Member

Reputations:
    I worked in a SEXY scarf shop from many years. After learning so much about the SEXY scarf business, I decided to take my knowledge to the world of professional wrestling. I started out wrestling in the six sided ring in Mexico under various names. My most famous alias in Mexico was "Dos Caras Jr". In 2009, I signed with World Wrestling Entertainment where you I have become the SEXY superstar I am today: Alberto Del Riooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!

11. dawg

dawg In The Dog House Staff Member

Reputations:
    I am doing what I like to do but it's still a prison. Total freedom would be to have enough money to not have to work.

AmishGirl likes this.
  12. HAL

HAL HAM

Reputations:
    I'm gunna ass rape joo

13. Scott

Scott Masshole Staff Member

Reputations:
    As soon as my youngest is emancipated I'm cashing in my chips and moving somewhere warm and getting a retard job that gets me by.

DogStar69 likes this.
  14. SIPAWITZ

SIPAWITZ Bialy Whore Banned User

Reputations:
    I tell my kids all the time...find a job you love and never work a day of your life.

Signed: parking lot inspector

Thread rated

BaddFunn and RenchFries like this.
  15. VarmintSam

Reputations:
    Life is good now and the residuals are nice because I take care of my customers and as a result I get a shit load of referral business. The 1st 3-5 years were brutal and there were times that I worked my ass off for next to nothing, almost quit 50 billion times and thats why its not for everyone. I don 't care what industry you are in, if you start getting lazy because the fat paychecks start rolling in you will be hurting in no time. Starting your own business is like an airplane taking off: You will spend a lot of $$ starting up but after a while you will be at cruise control once things get going, still spending $$ but not as much since you will be established. A 747 will utilize about 30000lbs of fuel per hour during takeoff while reaching its desired cruising altitude, Once it reaches cruising speed it will drop to about 13000lbs/hr. Sorry not the best analogy but you get the idea.

AmishGirl likes this.
  16. VarmintSam

Reputations:
    I hear ya bro, everyone thinks that running a business is the be all end all for financial freedom. It takes a lot of $$ to get things moving and the payoff is not guaranteed.

17. Droog

Droog Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    This. Having money to work with is better than working for money.

I took advantage of an opportunity to go into business for myself. The company I worked for decided to fold the services part of my division. I cherry picked clients I wanted to work with and bolted. For someone ambitious, it would have turned into more. But I had no ambition to build a bigger operation. I bill out my time at the same rate the company charged but rarely work more than 20 hours a week and make more money doing the same work. I'm a dumbass for being lazy but I hate working. If I were smart, I'd be working more so that I can stop working earlier.

18. Dave

Dave Active Member

Reputations:
  19. Brokenbad

Brokenbad Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Job freedom for me wound up being a trap. I got laid off in the late 80's and thought I'd never work for anybody again. For 10 years I bought and sold anything like those guys on storage wars. Did industrial stuff also. Had good cash flow but lacked the self descpline to become really sucessful. Did whatever the fuck I wanted to do whenever I wanted to do it. Had a great run, learned alot about stuff from antiques to scanning electron microscopes. (pre internet days....... I believe I'd be rich today with the info on the webb)
    The biggest thing I learned was about myself and that I need the stucture of someone else being a good boss. I'm now a happy cog in the machine.

The points are...know thy self and freedom IS just another word for nothing left to loose. For me anyways.

GL

AmishGirl likes this.
  20. AlbertoDelRio

AlbertoDelRio Active Member

Reputations:
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHA......no you're not.

DEL RIOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!