Anyone else ditch cable and home phone?

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by check1, Sep 22, 2013.

1. check1

check1 VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    It occurred to me a while back that I can get anything I want to see by other means, so I ditched my cable TV. Don't miss it a bit. Now I pay 7.99 a month for Netflix instead of over 100 for digital cable and the useless 700 channels.
    Cable companies of been way too slow to adapt and if they don't very quickly, the likely be extinct in 10 years.

Home phones next.

2. Obi Drunkenobe

Obi Drunkenobe VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    No home phone. Just wish on Netflix or Apple TV you could buy cable channels ala carte. When they do that I'm there day 1.

3. check1

check1 VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    That would be perfect. That's exactly what the cable company should've done five years ago if they wanted to stay competitive. All the extraneous channels and packages to complete bullshit. If I could call my cable company up and get the channels I actually want, that would be great. Out of those 700 or so channels I'd probably take 10 and pay a couple bucks each a month happily.

4. Spazzmatazz

Spazzmatazz Band Member Banned User

Reputations:
    I've been looking at getting rid of the home phone. I was looking at the Magic Jack Plus. Most the user reviews on the Plus have been a lot more positive than their last model. $75. Then $30 a year after that? I get to keep my phone number? Very tempting.

Anyone here have any experience with it?

5. Obi Drunkenobe

Reputations:
    There have been rumors forever about an apple television. I think they are the only company big enough to pull of an ala carte television. If they're smart that's what it will be.

6. Quite Frankly

Quite Frankly Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Not to sound like Hanzi, but the cable companies know exactly how fucked this all is- and they have a monopoly that will not be touched. They'd be fucked if people had the liberty of only choosing channels a la carte.

Same thing as the pre-internet music industry charging $17 for a CD with one good fucking song on it...

7. yippeekyaa

yippeekyaa Moved forward. VIP

Reputations:
    dropped cable tv 3 months ago. with netflix and amazon prime we haven't missed anything.

8. Obi Drunkenobe

Reputations:
    The problem with cable holding onto their monopoly is technology is moving at a much faster rate. I think we will see ala carte sooner than people think.

9. Crazy Marcus

Crazy Marcus Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    i use Ooma, it's slightly more expensive at $4 a month but it works a lot better than magic jack did for me and the customer service is a lot better. they sell them on amazon and costco.

10. cygnus2112

cygnus2112 In The Prep Room

Reputations:
    Yes, all I have is internet at home and a cell phone. I Use Netflix and Hulu for TV shows and movies and anything new on TV can be watched usually a day later on a channels web site (ie. CBS.com, NBC.com, etc.) My cablevision bill is 29.99

11. check1

check1 VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Guaranteed the cable companies will figure out a way to give people a la carte channels. Also guaranteed that it will be a few years too late.
    Anyone under 35 that I work with doesn't have cable or a home phone. I think a lot of them don't even understand why you would in the first place.
    Really, it's just purely out of habit for me. No more!

12. Roberticus

Roberticus Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Netflix and cellphones (and a digital broadcast TV antenna for NFL games) here. But I might get a landline if I have to do work calls from the house.

13. check1

check1 VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Yes, that too. Going to get another digital antenna for my main TV.
    I have one in my backyard office and I pick up about 10 channels on that too.
    Digital antenna + Netflix/Hulu + streaming sports + the odd download to hard drive and I'm set for under $10/ month.
    It's liberating! My wife pays the bills so I guess I wasn't really aware of the price of cable. I came across one a couple months ago and could not believe it.

14. Marty

Marty New Member Banned User

Reputations:
    Check out the roku

15. Goods

Goods Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I've been using an OBi100 for a home phone for about 3 years. It works with Google voice and there's no monthly fee.

16. Dream Theater

Dream Theater DAWGS E-BULLY Squad Gold

Reputations:
    Live sports is the only thing keeping me tethered to cable. And if the Giants keep playing like this that might not be an issue anymore. :facepalm:

17. check1

check1 VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    That's a huge part of what slowed me down on the decision.
    It's still the week point in the whole plan, but I think I can manage with streaming.

18. chuk

chuk Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    You can usually get a basic "lifeline" plan that gets you the local networks in HD for around $10 a month.

19. R.P. McMurphy

R.P. McMurphy Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    ...i could do a obi100 for the phone but id have a really hard time without cable tv. i grew up on cable tv, i like to be able to switch over to cnn to see a story as its happening anywhere in the world. i have a site that has lots of good tv on it and i can hdmi into a large flat screen but im so use to the way things are set up. i guess i could have one laptop tied to the tv and one to surf on....maybe its the remote control that keeps me paying outrageous monthly bills for cable. id hate to lose the real time interaction with my tv.

20. threat45

threat45 Member

Reputations:
    2tb hard drive, air video hd Apple TV & full movies on YouTube & Vimeo & tv shows

A