Anyone else do the doorbell thing on Halloween?

Discussion in 'The Bar' started by PullMyFinger, Oct 26, 2011.

1. PullMyFinger

PullMyFinger Hors d'oeuvre Addict VIP

Reputations:
    I like giving away candy down the store, especially since I'm not the one who actually has to give it out, but when I get home I disconnect the wires from my doorbell. Does this make me a Halloween grinch?

I tried filling up a basket with candy and leaving it out on the stoop a couple times. I put a sign on it that said "Take 3 pieces per person, please.", but both years, they emptied it out like every 10 minutes and would ring the bell to have me refill it, so I gave up.

2. k4D3t

k4D3t Reverse Apache Master VIP

Reputations:
    You're only a Halloween grinch if you leave your porch light on and then not answer the doorbell.

The worst Halloween candy I got was a Peep from an old lady--this was in like 1980, when Peeps were only sold during Easter. It was hard as a rock. The lady meant well--kind of pathetic in hindsight, actually

3. hockeygrl

hockeygrl Cancer hand Gold

Reputations:
    You sir, are a Halloween grinch. :mad:

4. Vyb

Vyb serial chiller Gold

Reputations:
    Whaaaaaat? You'd never get away with that here. Trick-or-treat looks like Mardi Gras. Folks everywhere. A doorbell that isn't getting the proper response would only lead to pounding on the door.

5. Spazzmatazz

Spazzmatazz Band Member Banned User

Reputations:
    I live out in the sticks. The little bastards wouldn't dare come out here! :ujj:

6. hockeygrl

hockeygrl Cancer hand Gold

Reputations:
    I am always disappointed with the number of trick or treaters I get. Currently, my road is closed for construction, so I'll be lucky to get one.

7. mattyfishrip197

mattyfishrip197 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    cut the crapola...hand out some candy for fuck sake.....set up a video camera...tell them to open their bag...put a pulley system in play ..like assebly line or hay going up a loft...

when they open the bag or ring the bell....pause the dvr....pull the rope....when they leave...hit play back to tv

8. k4D3t

Reputations:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2014
  9. Vyb

Vyb serial chiller Gold

Reputations:
    "The Doorbell Thing," like it's an actual thing. :jj:

Who's to know? Maybe it is. : oy:

10. PullMyFinger

Reputations:
    I grew up in a mostly German neighborhood and they didn't give much in the way of quality Halloween treats.

Lots of corned candy, one piece of Bazooka and loose change(always pennies).

One year, some Egyptian people moved into the neighborhood and when we rang their bell, they weren't familiar with the holiday.

The guy asked us to explain it and we informed him about the whole trick or treat thing, but he said he didn't have any candy in the house.

Then he asked if he could give money instead, to which we responded, "But of course". He then proceeded to slip a $5 bill into each of our bags.

It was quite the windfall, but he got smart by the next year and gave out M&Ms.

11. PullMyFinger

Reputations:
    Oh noes! Should I expect a visit from the ghost of Halloween past?

12. mattyfishrip197

Reputations:

13. PullMyFinger

Reputations:
    We would egg houses that wouldn't answer the door when we were kids, but kids in this neighborhood have it too good to worry about candy.

14. Vyb

Vyb serial chiller Gold

Reputations:
    Iowa, huh? I'm picturing Children of the Corn anyway.

[​IMG]

15. PullMyFinger

Reputations:
    I get a ridiculous amount of them, but most are from outside the neighborhood. They come here because they figure they will get better candy.

16. Vyb

Vyb serial chiller Gold

Reputations:
    That's our situation. It's like they bus "those people" in.

I'm speaking of course of the Irish.

17. mattyfishrip197

Reputations:

18. PullMyFinger

Reputations:
    :fuck:

19. ChuckZ

ChuckZ You're so pusillanimous, oh yea.

Reputations:
    Won't be home.

20. k4D3t

Reputations:
    Read this on Cracked.com not long ago--not sure of the veracity, but it is interesting -- he was on a list of people who screwed something up for everyone:

5 People Who Screwed Things Up for Everybody
    Paul K Pickett
    People complain about a lack of accountability in today's society -- politicians and bankers alike escape from scandals with no consequences beyond a stint in rehab and a nice book deal. Well, we at Cracked are all about finding the people who have made our lives just a little bit worse. Things didn't have to be as messed up as they are now, and it only takes a few assholes to ruin life for the rest of us.

#5. Ronald Clark O'Bryan Ruined Halloween

If you grew up in America, odds are pretty good that you've donned your costume and done your Halloween rounds just like millions of other children. You may cherish the memories of getting home from a long night of trick-or-treating, pulling off your ninja mask and dumping a huge-ass sack of candy onto the carpet. You may also remember, rather less fondly, waiting for what seemed to be a light-year (concepts of time and space weren't your strong suit) for your parents to finish searching said candy for deadly poison.

If you asked them what they were doing, they'd tell you stories of evil people all across America inserting poison or razor blades or some other horrifying object into the candy they hand out to children. A policeman may even have shown up at your school to lecture you about it, or you may have seen public service announcements on television, warning you to only accept candy from people you knew, and only treats that still had their wrappers intact.

What is it about Halloween candy that turned normal grown-ups into over-protective zealots? It's such a bizarre, improbable thing to worry about, like not letting you jump in the ball pit at Chuck E. Cheese's for fear there might be snakes in there. How many poison-dealing mass murderers can there be in the Western world, anyway?

Actually, it all traces back to one person. The man in question is Ronald Clark O'Bryan, an almighty dickhole who poisoned his own 8-year-old son with cyanide in order to collect on a $40,000 life insurance policy, and who we will exclusively refer to with irreverent nicknames from now on because, seriously, screw that guy.

Asshole O'Bryan slipped the poison into a bunch of Pixy Stix, which he then stapled shut. Yes, we said a bunch -- one just wouldn't do, because following some strange logic accessible to only the criminally insane, Shitbricks O'Bryan decided to poison every child his son went trick-or-treating with. Through either a miracle or, more likely, the fact that Pixy Stix suck balls, none of the other kids were harmed. O'Bryan was caught, found guilty and executed, but the case was widely publicized and so the damage had already been done.

And that is how even now, close to 40 years later, a trick-or-treater has to write off every piece of candy with a hole in the wrapper. Which is really sort of unfair, as although there have been a couple of other isolated incidents of poisoned candy since Dick O'Bryan set the trend, not a single one of them has been the doing of a random poison-maniac with a grudge against kids in cheesy costumes.

So, we guess the moral of the story is: If someone is going to poison your child's Halloween candy, chances are it's going to be you.