WTF Anyone Ever Buy a TV From PC Richard & Son?

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Famous, Mar 16, 2016.

1. Famous

Famous Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Curious if anyone bought a tv from them, and if so, was it a good buy? Did it last well?

They're apparently the largest family owned chain of electronics in the country. However, I'm reading horror stories about people buying lemons, and then going through hell on Earth to get it rectified (they do not allow returns once the box is opened).

Any insight from anyone here would be great.

2. reno

reno VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Are they still in business?

lovetalkradio likes this.
  3. Famous

Famous Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Yeah. They had a pretty great deal on a tv, so I ordered it online. However, now I'm reading more and more stuff (I like to cause myself worry). I'm kicking myself because I could have gotten Target to price match.

Then again, I'm also reading positive reviews too. Obviously the more angry you are, the more likely you are to post. It just doesn't seem like too small of a number to just wave off, and PC Richard seems to have a MO when electronics don't work. They seem to just keep sending people over, over and over again. I wish they didn't have the "no return" policy, because if something is not working right within the first month, it's probably a lemon tv.

Also read a few people saying that PC Richard sold them obvious refurbished items, so that REALLY bothers me.

4. Dick Fitzwell

Dick Fitzwell Opinions are like assholes ... and so am I

Reputations:
    I'm pretty sure the reliability of a TV doesn't have much to do with where you buy it.

bdbx18 and fredrogers like this.
  5. floplop

floplop Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I did 40 years ago. worked out ok.

lovetalkradio likes this.
  6. Famous

Famous Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    It does if they are knowingly refurbishing stuff without letting people know. I read an ex-employee even said that "they sell lemons", though he didn't specify if that was on purpose.

They've been in business for so long that I'd like to think that they aren't shady. However, just in my cursory glances, it seems that there are more complaints about them having lemons than more nationally known chains. Then again, I think it's because the national chains are more apt to making it right via quick exchanges, so people are probably less likely to complain about bad tvs in those cases.

I don't know. I'm probably worrying myself for nothing.

ETA: Just so I'm clear, maybe it's not fair to talk about tvs specifically. Actually most of the horror stories I've heard have been about refrigerators and the like. Again, I think it's the way that they approach things afterward that sucks.

GIRLY likes this.
  7. Dream Theater

Dream Theater DAWGS E-BULLY Squad Gold

Reputations:
    Yup... PC Richard will send his sons over to tie you up and gay rape you if you call and complain, especially if you are a wordy faggot.

GIRLY likes this.
  8. ScottBaiosPenis

ScottBaiosPenis Well-Known Member

Reputations:

never heard of Crazy Eddie Antar eh?

9. Skippy

Skippy Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I'm on Long Island and they are huge here. A ton of stores here (one in my town) and a large distribution center near me.

I've bought a ton of stuff from them over the years. Since I'm in my current house (9 years), I bought a receiver, CD player, refrigerator, home theater, camera, video camera, bbq and 2 TV's. The first tv I bought was back in 2007. It was a Samsung DLP. I somehow let them talk me into buying a super expensive hdmi cable and power strip. That was my fault for not being educated at the time on the proper cost of these things. I will admit I got a good price on the tv. They are usually willing to price match other stores and websites, which is the main reason I shop there. I bought the extended warranty on the tv, which was good because something crapped out in the tv a few years after I bought it. The guy from PC came and fixed it but didn't put the mirror inside the tv back properly.

Second tv was an LG 3D tv. I came in looking for something else and the sales guy talked me into this one for a few $$ more. Having my iPhone I was able to check prices and reviews in the store and saw I was getting a good deal, even though I was being upsold. I didn't buy the extended warranty on this tv and now it's giving me a bit of trouble, but that's lg's fault, not PC's.

If I'm making an electronic or appliance purchase, I usually check with them and Best Buy and see who will give me the best price. Some of their salesmen are shady but I've never had a major problem with lemons or making returns with them. They also have good financing deals, like 1 or 2 years with no interest. I find they are willing to price match or throw in some free stuff if you purchase, like a grill accessory set when I got the bbq.

10. DogStar69

DogStar69 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

they have a cool boat shaped building in Artie's hometown on Route 22

Mr Cachexic likes this.
  11. OV

OV Rapscallion

Reputations:
    When I read reviews on Amazon, tripadviser, vitals (if I can't get a credible referral) or elsewhere I immediately disqualify the extreme positive and negative 20% as either company related planted hyperbole or those with or without lemons having axes to grind. Then I make my assessment based on the cumulative mean average, providing the sample size is reasonably large to work from. Generally that works out pretty reliably for me.

GIRLY likes this.
  12. OV

OV Rapscallion

Reputations:
    However, if you can buy from Costco, their TV prices are competitive always and deep sometimes and you get a 2 year warranty without having to pay extra. Beyond that, their policy of merchandise return beyond warranty period is the most lenient in retailing.

Scarlett Ohara likes this.
  13. Box of Rox

Box of Rox Turgid member VIP

Reputations:
    They're old school..the second you walk in there you have some sleazy used car type salesmen follow you around (evidently they still work on commission). If you like having to haggle a negotiate for your goods then this is the place for you. If not avoid it like the plague.

Turtle Man likes this.
  14. fredrogers

fredrogers Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I usually buy most of my home electronics stuff from them. Tv's, Xboxes, Blu Ray, a little portable electric fireplace ect .... I've never had one issue. Plus, if you use your pc card, you usually get interest free for a certain amount of time.

Skippy likes this.
  15. Turtle Man

Turtle Man Hello Darling Gold

Reputations:
    Bought a toshiba lcd when they first came out from pc, I do t shop there much anymore because the salesmen are like vultures.
    Anyway could not kill the telly. Was on night and day, I ended up giving it to an ex to shut her up.
    Had it 8+ years , it probably still works.

16. unclefreddy

unclefreddy Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Can I interest you in a AM radio console, Victrola or rotary dial telephone?
    [​IMG]

17. Dream Theater

Reputations:
    I remember when that was The Wiz!

DogStar69 likes this.
  18. Dream Theater

Reputations:
    @baltimore mike

19. yaddc

yaddc Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Go to costco and get a good deal VIZIO I have a samsung 60in my self pretty good t v [smart tv]

20. DogStar69

DogStar69 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I bought my first VCR at that Wiz. It was Beta, top loading and a floor model cost me about $400.

Dream Theater likes this.