WTF Anyone ever record an older relative for posterity like Howard did with his parents a few years ago?

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by FlatTimmy, Aug 5, 2016.

1. FlatTimmy

FlatTimmy Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    My mom’s cousin is in her late eighties and she’s been asking me for a couple of years to visit and go through her old photos. Her kids and grandkids won’t do it, so I guess I’ve been nominated family historian. I am interested in her story and while mindful of her age, I’ve been putting off visiting because I’m not sure about the best approach. I’m afraid that I’ll forget most of what she tells me, so I’d like to record it. Anyway my Mom just hit me this evening with taking her down to see her cousin tomorrow afternoon (Mom is infamous for springing surprises like this on us). So now I feel unprepared. I wish I’d had a few days to think it all through and plan a little. I can record it on my phone, assuming she’s cool with that. But I’m wondering if anyone here did something similar. What worked? What didn’t? What did you fuck up or forget to do that you’d like to redo? Any suggestions would help.

2. larryluncg

larryluncg Empty VIP Gold

Reputations:
    Hello dere

3. goldtopper

goldtopper Well Known Heterosexual Gold

Reputations:
    When my Mom was diagnosed with serious cancer, I bought her a book that asked questions like "when I was a little girl, my favorite book was_____"
    It covered every aspect of life from food to entertainment to thoughts on life itself.
    She diligently filled it out and I treasure that book.

4. Rod-Stroker

Rod-Stroker Streptococcus Gingivitis Halllllllllllllitosis

Reputations:
    My dad and I drove cross country 16 years ago on a whim, he died 4 years later. those tapes are a treasured possession for me the rest of the family don't have a clue that I* have them, I should transfer them to a sturdier media as those could go to shit and I'd have nothing.

jon1972us, kingship and goldtopper like this.
  5. slipkid69

slipkid69 AKA...Dick Delicious VIP

Reputations:
    I wish I would have interviewed both sets of grandparents when they were still alive. I know some of their life stories but I wish I would know more.

goldtopper likes this.
  6. walterHwhite

walterHwhite Heisenberg

Reputations:
    No

AmishGirl likes this.
  7. crazypreacher

crazypreacher reDragon Gold

Reputations:
    Cheaper to have em stuffed.

AmishGirl likes this.
  8. Time Bandit

Time Bandit Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I thought about doing it with my grandparents..met at a barn dance, came to calif in a horse drawn wagon..they saw poncho villa's boys hang china men from telegraph poles..I didn't do it because no other family member seemed interested or cared..fucking assholes..I'll carry the memories to the grave

honestmaxx and Franklintown1 like this.
  9. Father O'Blivion

Father O'Blivion Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I wish I had.
    When I was little, my Grandma would read me Br'er Rabbit stories, and do a different voice for each character. Oh, how I wish I had a recording of that. That was back in the reel to reel recording days.

Penelope likes this.
  10. Penelope

Penelope VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    That's awesome. My Greek uncle from the Old Country used to read me the Sunday comic pages and try to use (what he thought) the voice of each character would sound like. Such a great memory.

Father O'Blivion likes this.
  11. somedude61

somedude61 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    It is a good idea. But make sure you get whatever you record onto long lasting storage media. There is some stuff that lasts a very long time. Google it. I wish I did that with my parents and grand parents. Then I could sit here now and laugh at all the stupid ideas they had. I had some crazy fucking parents and grand parents.

FlatTimmy and AmishGirl like this.
  12. Stork

Stork Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I would have loved to do it with both sets of grandparents. However, as I came to learn later, it turns out they barely liked each other, much less loved each other.

The WWII generation laughs at the sissy country we've become, but will never admit their shortcomings

Penelope likes this.
  13. Hamster

Hamster Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Both my grandfathers died in the early 70's when I was very young. Then the widow grandmothers both made it well into the 2000's. They saw me get married and were at the christening of my children. Neither spoke good English but they are captured on video wishing us well and later holding the babies. Priceless.

14. JameGumb

JameGumb We're all out of toner!

Reputations:
    Dafuck? No I'm not a weirdo like Howard is with his family.

15. AmishGirl

AmishGirl Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    One member of the family did for my Grandmother & never shared the tapes w\the rest of us. Whatever. :ucoffee:

16. somedude61

somedude61 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    That is probably because the grandmother shared something the person making the recording doesn't want anyone else in the family to know. Maybe that person isn't really a blood relative. Or maybe the old lady had a fortune stashed somewhere and wanted it share with the whole family but the person making the recording is keeping it all for themselves.