WTF anyone ever try "smart drugs?"

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by MilkyDischarge, Oct 10, 2016.

1. MilkyDischarge

MilkyDischarge Se suelto el diablo Gold

Reputations:
    Here's a Harvard Business Revue article about issues with people getting an advantage at work with them, as students do.
    Is it cheating?
    (Full disclosure- I take them before posting here)

Like It or Not, “Smart Drugs” Are Coming to the Office
    May 19, 2016

IMG_4980.JPG

You’ve managed the same team for the past five years — then one day you find out that your most successful employee uses cognitive-enhancing drugs on the job.

This scenario may not be hypothetical for long. The unauthorized use of prescription drugs such as the ADHD medications Adderall and Ritalin and the narcolepsy drug Modafinil is now common among American university students. They use these drugs not to escape work and avoid responsibility but to be able to work more and better.

Up to 20% of Ivy League college students have already tried “smart drugs,” so we can expect these pills to feature prominently in organizations (if they don’t already). After all, the pressure to perform is unlikely to disappear the moment students graduate. And senior employees with demanding jobs might find these drugs even more useful than a 19-year-old college kid does. Indeed, a 2012 Royal Society report emphasized that these “enhancements,” along with other technologies for self-enhancement, are likely to have far-reaching implications for the business world.

And yet aside from anecdotal evidence, we know very little about the use of these drugs in professional settings. The Financial Times has claimed that they are “becoming popular among city lawyers, bankers, and other professionals keen to gain a competitive advantage over colleagues.” Back in 2008 the narcolepsy medication Modafinil was labeled the “entrepreneur’s drug of choice” by TechCrunch. That same year, the magazine Nature asked its readers whether they use cognitive-enhancing drugs; of the 1,400 respondents, one in five responded in the affirmative.

Meanwhile, the world of management remains stunningly silent. But sooner or later executives will have to confront the issue of these drugs. And before making up our minds, we need to understand how these drugs work (or don’t) and ask ourselves some serious questions about what taking them means.

The Drugs
    First off, overwhelming evidence suggests that smart drugs actually work. A meta-analysis by researchers at Harvard Medical School and Oxford showed that Modafinil has significant cognitive benefits for those who do not suffer from sleep deprivation. The drug improves their ability to plan and make decisions and has a positive effect on learning and creativity. Another study, by researchers at Imperial College London, showed that Modafinil helped sleep-deprived surgeons become better at planning, redirecting their attention, and being less impulsive when making decisions.

It’s easy to imagine that these benefits would be welcomed in some organizations. The U.S. military has already started experimenting with Modafinil, including with controlled use for Indian air force pilots.

We know that at least some of these drugs are medically safe. According to Anna-Katharine Brem, a coauthor of the Harvard-Oxford study, Modafinil has “vanishingly few side effects” when used in a controlled environment. After the study was published, media reports began to refer to Modafinil as the world’s first safe smart drug.

And the drugs are not terribly difficult to get, depending on where you’re located. Modafinil has an annual global share of $700 million, with high estimated off-label use. Although these drugs can be purchased over the internet, their legal status varies between countries. For example, it is legal to possess and use Modafinil in the United Kingdom without a prescription, but not in United States.

The Big Questions
    Because these drugs are — for the most part — safe, effective, and easy to get, they pose several ethical challenges for both workers and organizations.

Is it morally wrong to use these drugs? Should we compare smart drugs to doping — in other words, to cheating?

Yes, according to a new policy at Duke University, which says that the “unauthorized use of prescription medicine to enhance academic performance” should be treated as cheating.” And no, according to law professor Nita Farahany, herself based at Duke University, who has called the policy “ill-conceived,” arguing that “banning smart drugs disempowers students from making educated choices for themselves.”

For Malcolm Gladwell, “the thing with doping is that it allows you to train harder than you would have done otherwise.” He argues that we cannot easily call someone a cheater on the basis of having used a drug for this purpose. The equivalent, he explains, would be a student who steals an exam paper from the teacher, and then instead of going home and not studying at all, goes to a library and studies five times harder.

Another moral concern is that these drugs — especially when used by Ivy League students or anyone in an already privileged position — may widen the gap between those who are advantaged and those who are not. But others have inverted the argument, saying these drugs can help those who are disadvantaged to reduce the gap. In an interview with the New York Times, Dr. Michael Anderson explains that he uses ADHD (a diagnosis he calls “made up”) as an excuse to prescribe Adderall to the children who really need it — children from impoverished backgrounds suffering from poor academic performance.

Either way, if more and more people use these types of stimulants, there may be a risk that we will find ourselves in an ever-expanding neurological arm’s race, argues philosophy professor Nicole Vincent. But is this necessarily a bad thing? No, says Farahany, who sees the improvement in cognitive functioning as a social good that we should pursue. Better brain functioning would result in societal benefits, she argues, “like economic gains or even reducing dangerous errors.”

Should the use of these drugs be encouraged at work? As a manager at a hospital, would you want your surgeon to be under the influence of these drugs, provided there was clear evidence that they improve his or her work? As the CEO of an airline, would you prefer to have a pilot on drugs if it decreased the probability of accidents?

Companies already know a great deal about how their employees live their lives. With the help of wearable technologies and health screenings, companies can now analyze the relation between bodily activities — exercise, sleep, nutrition, etc. — and work performance. With the justification that healthy employees perform better, some companies have made exercise mandatory by using sanctions against those who refuse to perform. And according to The Kaiser Family Foundation, of the large U.S. companies that offer health screenings, nearly half of them use financial incentives to persuade employees to participate.

Sure, today it seems unlikely that companies could mandate drug use. But then again, if companies can penalize people with poor health, why couldn’t these companies, at least in theory, incentivize the use of drugs if it’s safe and it makes the firm more productive and profitable?

https://hbr.org/2016/05/like-it-or-not-smart-drugs-are-coming-to-the-office

icypussy and sstressed like this.
  2. Chigs

Chigs The finest in the Nation VIP

Reputations:
    All the regular drugs I do seem to have a pretty positive impact :dontknow:

3. Ganggreen87

Ganggreen87 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I did and actually my wife got so pissed at me I thought she was gonna divorce me.

I tried some of my sons ADD medication to see what it would do because I didn't want him taking it unless I experienced it. I ended up doing like 10 of them over the span of a couple weeks and they fucking work, I'll tell you that. I was laser beam focused and efficient for the whole day with tons of energy. I thought about asking my doctor for some.

Long story short opening them I spilled them onto the counter and knocked my coffee over at the same time wrecking them all and was busted. She is still pissed about it. Bad news

4. Calloused Shins

Calloused Shins Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Of course. Read my posts. I'm an avid supporter

RenchFries likes this.
  5. wife is a whore

wife is a whore Stripped of POTY for butthurting staff VIP

Reputations:

tl/dr, but this story is about meth, right? It has to be about meth.

Only other acceptable work drug is cocaine, but that is only for sales guys.

6. Tranquil

Tranquil Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Not reading it either, but if it has no withdrawals, perfectly healthy, not addictive I'll try this out.

sstressed and wife is a whore like this.
  7. MilkyDischarge

MilkyDischarge Se suelto el diablo Gold

Reputations:
    If your wife wasn't upset, would you have continued, assuming you can get a legit prescription? Where they that good?

8. BethSucks

BethSucks Well-Known Member Staff Member

Reputations:
    The politics forum posters might want to consider this.

9. Daveindiego

Daveindiego Confirmed Internet Legend Gold

Reputations:
    I really can't get any smarter. :dontknow:

icypussy, Bababoey31 and Jayla like this.
  10. Ganggreen87

Reputations:
    I'm in sales, show me a sales guy and I'll show you someone with ADD. So for me they did help and they were a game changer. If I could get a prescription I would do them. The issue would be one coming off them was nasty and the real trick is to take them the days you need them and not every day and I bet I would take them everyday

But yes I would do them. They work and they made a difference to me

Bababoey31 and MilkyDischarge like this.
  11. somedude61

somedude61 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Go get some more. Take some and then divorce the wife. You will be focused enough to cut through the emotional bullshit and cut the bitch out of you life quickly and efficiently.

12. somedude61

somedude61 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    They don't make you any smarter, only more able to focus on what you are doing. Which, in the business world, is all you really need. Intelligence doesn't win the game as much as producing results and back stabbing your colleagues.

13. Ganggreen87

Reputations:
    Okay I'll do it tomorrow and let you know how it goes
    Great idea!

RenchFries and MilkyDischarge like this.
  14. JameGumb

JameGumb We're all out of toner!

Reputations:
    Aside from an occasional toke from a good J, I'm all about the vodka.

GLguygardner and RenchFries like this.
  15. DaTenses

DaTenses Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Sounds like the "laser focus" had worn off :hilarious:

16. Biff DiBiase

Biff DiBiase Philanthropist and accountant at Larry, Inc. POTY Stern Forum Gold

Reputations:
    I have done every drug except Crack, Meth and Heroin. That makes me smart.

Brokenbad, RenchFries and JustLurking like this.
  17. AmishGirl

AmishGirl Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    I just wish they'd bring back Black Beauty pills (Dexedrine, I'm told) .... :hersh:

Brokenbad, yaddc and wife is a whore like this.
  18. Drungle

Drungle VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    They do work as far as keeping you focused, alert, and positive, but you can counteract these effects with a little weed.

19. lovetalkradio

lovetalkradio Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Crack is whack.

RenchFries and Biff DiBiase like this.
  20. idiotbox

idiotbox Looking for a dime and found a quarter. VIP

Reputations:
    provigil is the brand name of modafinil and has the been a silicon valley secret for a long time. a coworker takes it for narcolepsy and let me try one. one word, wow. it actually scared me how well it worked and i could see it being a habit if i were to take them on a regular basis. did it make me any "smarter"? no, but it did give me intense focus. if i would have had these in high school, i'd be something today.

Shoes, wife is a whore and sstressed like this.