Anyone have FIOS?

Discussion in 'The Bar' started by ohnoes, Jul 4, 2011.

1. ohnoes

ohnoes New Member Banned User

Reputations:
    Verizon is offering a sweet triple play deal with a locked in rate (lower than the advertised new customer rate...supposedly a reward for being a longtime customer :rolleye:) for two years.

I'm hesitant having read a lot of stuff online about what a nightmare the installation is and how much the price skyrockets once the initial contract expires.

Do any of you have any Fios stories/opinions to share? Is it worth it? :dontknow:

2. Vyb

Vyb serial chiller Gold

Reputations:
    I've got AT&T U-verse, and I love it.

3. Vyb

Vyb serial chiller Gold

Reputations:
    Installation took like 4 hours tho.

4. GSD

GSD Active Member

Reputations:
    At least one person in my family has it and they seem to like it but they pay a fortune each month

I like this site for tech info. Good source for reviews on stuff too

http://www.dslreports.com/comments/2568

5. Bye You!

Bye You! The n word guy Gold

Reputations:
    my dad has Fios, and i ficking HATE it

when i go visit the 2 deaf people known as mom and dad, the TV is BLARING!!!

and the stupid Fios RC is designed that you can't just hold the volume control button down. you have to press it TWICE for each increment you want it to change.

what moron designed that?????????

6. PullMyFinger

PullMyFinger Hors d'oeuvre Addict VIP

Reputations:
    I've had it about 10 months now. I'm still under that initial contract, so I don't know how much the rate will change, but Time Warner jacked my rate up after my initial contract and so did DishNetwork when I had that years back, so anyway you go, you have to figure on taking a hit after the contract expires.

The installation wasn't that bad. I was the first on my block to get it, so the technician had to put some kind of splitter in the line running on the poles. He said that took an extra 45 minutes or so, but the overall installation took about 3 1/2 hours. That was for the phone line, the modem and 6 boxes. The converter for the DSL is a fairly big box that needs to be hung outside the house close to the main power line. It's a gray box maybe 16" x 12". My neighbor was bitching about his being unsightly, but I have no problem with mine being there. They also install a battery backup inside the house. That way if you lose power, your phone will still operate for roughly 8 hours.

As for the things I've found better than Time Warner:

1.The battery backup. When I had Time Warner, if my power went out, my phone went out with it. Even if it wasn't cordless.
    2.NFL Network. Not sure if Time Warner has it yet, but when I switched they didn't. That was a major reason I did switch. I know with a lockout it may not be as big a reason to switch, but even during the off-season there is some awesome content on it if you are a die hard football fan.
    3.Connection Speed. My connection speed is consistently above 4 Mbps with FIOS. With Time Warner, it varied between 2-2.5 Mbps and I lost my connection a lot.
    4.Multi-Room DVR. With FIOS, I only have a DVR in one room, but I can watch anything I DVR on any tv in the house. With Time Warner, I could only watch DVRd shows on my tv with the DVR box connected to it.

The one kind of let down with FIOS is they don't have as many HD channels as Time Warner did. But its not really the movie or sports channels, so I can deal with not being able to watch something like E! in HD.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2011
  7. ohnoes

ohnoes New Member Banned User

Reputations:
    Thank you for your opinions everyone.

Bye can't you run the tv through a receiver and leave it at a pre set volume? I'm no tech wiz but I have a couple of friends who do that and it doesn't seem too complicated. :dontknow:

I agree with you Pull. TWC sucks ass that roadrunner shit is always crapping out on me and I know it's the connection...not my PC. As much pron as I'm watching I'm extra secure. :jj:

Dish network sucks too. They draw you in with inexpensive packages then steadily jack up the rates. So far I'm leaning towards getting the Fios. If it sucks or becomes a financial burden one can always switch again in 2 years.

Anyone else with Fios experiences feel free to chime in. :cmon: