Anyone have problems with streaming on the phone and ATT?

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by joyceface, Apr 20, 2012.

1. joyceface

joyceface Queen of Everything VIP

Reputations:
    Good GOD I hate ATT already. But anyway, I have unlimited data and I use the phone to listen to the Howard most of the day. They are always threatening to charge me more or throttle the data. How is that "UNLIMITED"?? I'm ready to find another provider but I'm sure its the same everywhere. :facepalm: Very hard to fight with the phone company.

2. BrulesRules

BrulesRules Just grab 'em in the biscuits VIP

Reputations:
    Don't got to Sprint unless you like 3G downloads speeds of .3 mbps down. It's not unlimited data when you are limited by shitty sownload speeds.

3. joyceface

Reputations:
    True - which is EXACTLY my point when I talk to ATT. They say that its because of congestion on the network (which I told them was their problem not mine) but somehow the congestion will go away if I can cough up $50 a month.

4. racerx

racerx New Member

Reputations:
    why not 4g?

5. BrulesRules

Reputations:
    you know why! Iphone 4s, but people on AT&T are getting 3G download speeds of 3-4mbps down compared to .3 with Sprint. Verizon customers are getting between .8 - 1.5 mbps down on 3G.

6. joyceface

Reputations:
  7. joyceface

Reputations:
    I just found his website is pretty cool - he has posted EVERYTHING he used to sue them and win !
    http://taporc.com/

8. You Knew!

You Knew! Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    This guy fought and won. http://www.phonenews.com/att-sued-o...ing-and-loses-in-la-small-claims-court-19879/. Here's a couple paragraphs:

AT&T Sued Over Unlimited Data Plan Throttling and Loses In LA Small Claims Court
    By Humberto Saabedra on February 24, 2012

A man in California has successfully sued AT&T Mobility in a Los Angeles area small claims court over the carriers actions against customers that are still paying for the long discontinued unlimited data plans that were eliminated in 2010 in favor of tiered data plans following the launch of the iPhone 3GS. At issue was the fact that the customer was being throttled well below the threshold for the current tiered data plans with defined limits of 3GB per month on the device or 5GB with the capability to tether.

As the customer claimed that AT&T was throttling access between well below the threshold for the current data plans at 1.5 GB per month despite being on a no longer offered data plan that did not explicitly specify transfer or speed limits, AT&T would have been found guilty of making false claims about their service and the judge agreed, awarding the man $850 for damages incurred as a result of the loss of service quality and reliability despite admitting to using his iPhone to tether his iPad, which is not allowed under the old unlimited plan and had forced an automatic switchover to the tiered plan with tethering after he was caught by AT&T’s system.

Even though he was using 5GB in a given month, which was ironically the old unspoken limit for unlimited data, the customer complained to the carrier and the old plan was reinstated, which led to him filing the suit in small claims court after he noticed the instances of throttling. AT&T has long been the most customer hostile carrier regarding data access for those with older data plans, as it does not adequately spell out how much data is too much before hitting the 5% threshold to trigger throttling on the old iPhone unlimited data plans and actively refuses to state such limits publicly.

9. racerx

racerx New Member

Reputations:
    im tech clueless. but i just tested my sprint and it was 6.75mb

10. SouthernListen

SouthernListen I don't follow the crowd. Sorry about that. VIP

Reputations:
    I've lived in various places and had different carriers. Verizon seems to be the most reliable. They recently had a promotion for 4G of data for $30/mo, and more for $50 including tethering.

If you listen constantly and watch movies a lot they don't want you as a customer anywhere, probably, considering you a data vampire.

11. BrulesRules

Reputations:
    yes but that is 4g..iphones do not do 4g. I just didn't want to turn this into an android vs. iphone debate.

12. Peau de Soie

Peau de Soie Edit Button? Thanks LaserTilt!

Reputations:
    I know this is a tangential answer, but it's a lot more effective to just download the audio you want to listen to. No streaming cut-outs, the ability to pause, no data cap issues, etc.

Of course some of the other things you can do are use WiFi more, try to find a lower bitrate stream, get a second wireless account, or change carriers. Sprint's pseudo-"unlimited" might suffice. Even with throttling you should have enough bandwidth for an audio stream.

(AT&T sucks, but everybody knows that.)

13. joyceface

Reputations:
    They've sucked for quite a while now.
    Let's All Call up AT &T and Protest to the President March

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2014
  14. suckemnuckledus

suckemnuckledus Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I have the same ATT plan, my sportester replay finally died after 6 years! Sirius wants $180 to transfer my lifetime! F That! I have been using music dock for the last 3 months, Howard from 6 til noon, then Ellis til 3:30 everyday, no problems with ATT so far! I get the your a data hog text but I can still hear Sirius, and trade stocks all day on my phone!

15. Dlist

Dlist Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Every time I make a call and it gets dropped, I have to apologize and say "sorry, I have ATT"

16. pylod

pylod Member

Reputations:
    ATT is a shit company.
    I feel for ya.

17. joyceface

Reputations:
    I have the sportster original model in my car and I can tell it's on it's last legs too. lol So you just keep ignoring the data text they send you? the original ones I got said they were going to raise my rates these just say throttling now.

18. Obi Drunkenobe

Obi Drunkenobe VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    I use the same app and it seems to have improved with the latest software update from good to great reception.

19. Phil A Sheo

Phil A Sheo Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I get usually between 2-3 mbps on my verizon iphone. Streaming is usually not a problem. 4G isnt available yet out on eastern Long Island....C'mon Verizon!!!!

20. newcastlefan

newcastlefan גֵּרְשֹׁם VIP

Reputations:
    AT&T "4G" is their crappy 3G service masquerading. Their LTE service on the new iPads is totally different. i get 16mbps down on AT&T LTE, but my iPhone 4s "4G" is a joke.