Anyone here have panic attacks?

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by cia212, Nov 18, 2013.

1. cia212

cia212 Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    I had a panic attack yesterday - thought I was having a heart attack. Called 911, went to the ER, my pulse was 154! They got me under control, checked out my heart and set me home. Holy fuck that was scary. Now, I'm on Xanax.

Anyone else ever have one?

2. gd9tsd9tas9sa9

gd9tsd9tas9sa9 New Member Banned User

Reputations:
  3. Metalheavy19

Metalheavy19 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I had one or two in my life pretty scary stuff, much like you I was certain I was dying of a heart attack. I am grateful I don't have to deal with that daily like some folks. I mean anxiety is one thing but I can manage that with booze fairly well.

4. Dump Button

Dump Button Former Mall Security Guard

Reputations:
    yup and they suck

5. AuntDolly

AuntDolly Musculature Gold

Reputations:
    Once, about 2 years ago when I lost my job and was temping. It happened in a parking lot in Target. A guy walked up to me and offered to call 911 and I said please don't, I don't have any insurance right now. Scary as hell. It took me a while to get it together enough to drive home. Xanax (I use the generic version) is a life-saver.

6. Dump Button

Reputations:
    This works every time

http://breathing-deeply.blogspot.com/2008/11/relaxing-breath-4-7-8.html

[h=3]The Relaxing Breath: 4-7-8[/h]
    Practicing regular, mindful breathing can be calming and energizing and can even help with stress-related health problems ranging from panic attacks to digestive disorders

Andrew Weil, M.D.

The 4-7-8 (or Relaxing Breath) Exercise

This exercise is utterly simple, takes almost no time, requires no equipment and can be done anywhere. Although you can do the exercise in any position, sit with your back straight while learning the exercise. Place the tip of your tongue against the ridge of tissue just behind your upper front teeth, and keep it there through the entire exercise. You will be exhaling through your mouth around your tongue; try pursing your lips slightly if this seems awkward.

Exhale completely through your mouth, making a whoosh sound.

Close your mouth and inhale quietly through your nose to a mental count of four.
    Hold your breath for a count of seven.

Exhale completely through your mouth, making a whoosh sound to a count of eight.

This is one breath. Now inhale again and repeat the cycle three more times for a total of four breaths.

Note that you always inhale quietly through your nose and exhale audibly through your mouth. The tip of your tongue stays in position the whole time. Exhalation takes twice as long as inhalation. The absolute time you spend on each phase is not important; the ratio of 4:7:8 is important. If you have trouble holding your breath, speed the exercise up but keep to the ratio of 4:7:8 for the three phases. With practice you can slow it all down and get used to inhaling and exhaling more and more deeply.

This exercise is a natural tranquilizer for the nervous system. Unlike tranquilizing drugs, which are often effective when you first take them but then lose their power over time, this exercise is subtle when you first try it but gains in power with repetition and practice.

Do it at least twice a day. You cannot do it too frequently. Do not do more than four breaths at one time for the first month of practice. Later, if you wish, you can extend it to eight breaths. If you feel a little lightheaded when you first breathe this way, do not be concerned; it will pass.

Once you develop this technique by practicing it every day, it will be a very useful tool that you will always have with you. Use it whenever anything upsetting happens - before you react. Use it whenever you are aware of internal tension. Use it to help you fall asleep. This exercise cannot be recommended too highly. Everyone can benefit from it.

7. Dump Button

Reputations:
    watch the Xanax intake but i assume you doctor or shrink will monitor

definitely a short term remidey

8. LaserT

LaserT You have to have fun. Gold

Reputations:
    Yeah had them for a bit when I was travelling a lot a couple years ago. Magnesium helped me get rid of them. Don't take it now but don;t have them anymore.

9. itpdude

itpdude New Member

Reputations:
    Had one in April of 2012. It was pretty fucking disturbing. I thought it was a heart-attack, too. Didn't call 911. Heart rate was very elevated. Managed to calm down and was pretty worried about it happening again for probably six months.

I did go to the doctor later and they couldn't detect anything wrong and racked it up to being pretty stressed out at that time along with excessive caffeine consumption and not enough sleep. I tapped the brakes on caffeine and let myself have a real weekend with zero work and felt much better. Doc suggested some head-meds but I refused them out of principle BUT did resolve if another one occurred soon thereafter, I'd go on head-meds.

And I'm pretty dogmatically against head-meds. That's how much the panic-attack disturbed me.

I've felt them come on here and there a few times since but take a step back and breath steadily, take a walk if I can, and do anything to distract myself. Haven't had anything full-blown like that since.

10. Bungzilla

Bungzilla Active Member

Reputations:
    "I dont know why people dont read Dr. Sarno's book Robin"

11. larryluncg

larryluncg Empty VIP Gold

Reputations:
    I've had a few in the past. Were you drinking booze prior? Is this your first one?

Different things can set them off. Don't get started on the Xanax. It's one of the most addictive drugs out there.

12. boomer1976

boomer1976 Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    one bad panic attack but lots of irrational anxiety. On a little small dose now and it has helped greatly.

13. hoodwink

hoodwink Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I used to.. they got really bad when I flew.. went to the doc's, they gave me paxil.. Those fucking panic attacks got worse and worse (this was at the millennium in Vegas).. when I got home, I said fuck it and threw that shit out.. been fine ever since :) And I fly once/twice a week now so...

14. MyLazyHand

MyLazyHand Russia and France Know What to Do

Reputations:
    I had them when I was a kid, but only once in a while these days.

You weren't allowed to be sick in my house, so I just suffered quietly and waited for death.

15. Shamrock12

Shamrock12 Bouncy... Bouncy...

Reputations:
    I had one before... thought I WAS dying...took me maybe 30 minutes to calm down. some people will get them at work from time to time and I am very sympathetic

16. cia212

cia212 Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    No alcohol...and I'll definitely have to watch the Xanax.

17. The Snork

The Snork Well-Known Member VIP Gold

Reputations:
    who tol you dat?

18. knu3421

knu3421 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Panic attack fever it's driving Me crazy!!!

19. broccoli rob

broccoli rob thanks for the memories DW3

Reputations:
    I've been having panic attacks for almost 10 years. If you have bad anxiety, DONT drink. Your life will become a living hell. I don't know what your diet and exercise routine is, but definitely look to lose weight if overweight and get into some cardiovascular activity. It helped me a lot, despite having a drinking problem.

I have terrible anxiety coupled with a tendency to beat myself up about the smallest things.. I try to be as physically active as possible & eat well, that seems to limit my attacks. Taking Lorezapam or Xanax is TOO relieving to me. I wish I had a script but I feel it would just be a huge dependency and I beat myself up already about my periodic over drinking. Wish ya luck man, it definitely sucks. My advice is fitness and pussy, avoiding alcohol, marijuana, and caffeine.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2013
  20. isabella

isabella VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    panic attacks are terrifying...i've had a few in my life.

most have been drug associated except for the time many years ago when i was going down into the subway station and as i got to the next landing i started to sweat and then get the chills until i thought i was going to go crazy. i ran up the stairs and got a cab to take me home to brooklyn heights.
    then there were times that although i wasn't totally out of pills, i was anticipating that i wouldn't be able to get any the next day or day after....either i couldn't find a doctor to write me a script or that a pharmacy had me on some kind of blacklist. nights of my heart racing and not being able to sleep. i don't ever want to feel that way again. there might have been more (a few times smoking pot and getting paranoid, also terrifying), but none that i remember. it always had something to do with drugs in some way or another.
    since i got sober, there are times i'll get anxious but nothing close to when i was drugging.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2013