anyone in the shed own their own small business? advice needed

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by shitbird14, Jan 19, 2015.

1. shitbird14

shitbird14 Active Member

Reputations:
    huge fan of this site- a lot of smart people on here. Looking for advice on running small business. Sales oriented but any walk of life would suffice. Hired two employees to start the year and help expand sales efforts. Im worried that I am trying grow quick while just getting ahead myself financially. Not howard related- and the Bar frightens me. any advice or things to consider would be cool.

Caffeinated, TeeDonkey and smichal like this.
  2. Beth Onostrosky

Beth Onostrosky Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Get ready to work really long hours for what amounts to minimum wage or less. There will be many days when you regret it but hopefully if you're successful it can be the best decision you ever made. Most importantly don't hire any family or friends that you want to keep, because there is a good chance it will turn out bad.

3. oski

oski Jump For Cock

Reputations:
    Do you have significant experience in this area or is it a completely new venture? When you said you hired them to spur sales that was a red flag to me. You should be able to sell it yourself, if it's a needed product, till the revenue gets to the point that you can justify hiring someone else.

Droog, I invented that and ppm like this.
  4. Omen

Omen Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I had a succesful small biz for over a decade
    Best advice I can give:
    1. Never try & make a good business deal, always try & make a GREAT one.
    2. Staff is who represents you. If someone does not share your business POV they should not be there (even if they are a good worker)
    3. Honesty is the best. Trying to get over backfires too much.
    4. Try to be semi-amicable with any competitors. Too much mudslinging goes on with the internet & fake reviews, etc

Biff DiBiase and Captain like this.
  5. shitbird14

shitbird14 Active Member

Reputations:
    been in similar sale for 10 years… distributing products now instead of working for a big company. Hired people with relationships in markets (not my own) to invest in them being as successful as I have been in the market I sell in. hope that makes sense.

6. BethSucks

BethSucks Well-Known Member Staff Member

Reputations:
    I own a commercial landscape maintenance business. Obamacare did in my employees, so now I act more as a general contractor, scheduling the subs and making sure jobs get done on time, handling billing, marketing etc. if you don't have the luxury of operating at a loss for a couple of years be careful to not grow too fast as you just mentioned and keep excellent records

SouthernListen and TeeDonkey like this.
  7. oski

oski Jump For Cock

Reputations:
    Makes sense to me, but obviously seems very risky. I'd think a top salesman in that area would think twice about going to a start up

8. BethSucks

BethSucks Well-Known Member Staff Member

Reputations:
    Number 4 is a good point, obviously my work is different than sales but we tend to help each other out a lot. Getting involved in a business organization of similar businesses has been a help as well.

TeeDonkey, Biff DiBiase and Omen like this.
  9. Hatfield

Hatfield Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Start with WHY - do not get a partner.

watch this - if you're interested in being extraordinary

10. ppm

ppm Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I'm in my 7th year of owning my own business. It can be very scary especially the first couple of years when you're never sure if you're going to get another project/client. I have over 500 clients now. I will do anything in my power to never have to hire employees. I don't trust anyone elses work ethic is like mine. I wish you good luck.

11. oski

oski Jump For Cock

Reputations:
    That's how I feel as well. It was just me and my secretary for my first couple of years and I knew I had reoccurring revenue coming in.

Biff DiBiase likes this.
  12. ppm

ppm Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    so far I've been lucky and most days I can handle the business I have. Congrats to you :derp:

13. Divorce Chicken

Divorce Chicken white punk on dope VIP

Reputations:
    My wife had a digitals sales and marketing company. Really didn't make much money the first 3 years. Late last year, her largest client hired her and bought her company. Always be open to a good offer.

ppm likes this.
  14. ppm

ppm Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I had a dream once that Fedex bought my business :jj:

15. skinvy

skinvy Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    sounds like a great idea if the new "hires" are mostly commission based; if so, your downside should be mostly covered. not a sales guy myself, but I do own a small business, and have 2 sales people on staff who are paid mostly on a commission basis. their contacts and relationships in the industry have proven to be invaluable. small business people tend to play things pretty close to the vest (often too much so) , which can really limit your upside. best of luck. no matter how things go for you, there's nothing like not having a boss to answer to.

16. Dump Button

Dump Button Former Mall Security Guard

Reputations:
    Try to make a big sale then provide no service or product to the customer and if the customer complains tell me u will piss on them. Take the money and move to the next town and repeat similar sale.

17. skylarbrie

skylarbrie VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    massage parlors are extremely successful, it has produced seed money for other Asian owned businesses...

18. OV

OV Rapscallion

Reputations:
    I once hired a smart business friend who couldn't cut it-had to do the inevitable. No longer a friend. Don't mix biz and personal. And strive to deliver the best bang for the bucks. Always elicit referrals from happy clients.

Biff DiBiase, BethSucks and ppm like this.
  19. scoobyla

scoobyla Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    employee loyalty is critical for a small biiz

therefore i recommend xmas gifts, perhaps giftsubsciptons or a calender with your wifes pics
    or throw a small party. even if u do this already, make them aware that this is now their xmas gift and bonus as well. they will be very appreciative and give many years of service,

HowiesWhorse likes this.
  20. R.P. McMurphy

R.P. McMurphy Well-Known Member

Reputations: