Anyone interested in starting a Ketogenic diet ?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Getthepoisonout, Aug 6, 2016.

1. Getthepoisonout

Getthepoisonout I regret my username

Reputations:
    My wife and I are planning to start on Labor Day....reason we are waiting until then is that our kids will be out of the house and back at school so it will be easier to purge all of the carbs. I thought I would post now so if you are interested in joining us you can get yourselves ready.

What is a Ketogenic Diet:
    - This is a high fat, moderate protein, low carb diet. Approx. 80% fat, 15% protein, 5% carb.

Why would you do this diet?
    Heath Benefits
    - Improvement in blood glucose levels for those that are pre-diabetic, type 2 diabetic, or have insulin resistance.
    - Reduces inflammation (major cause of all kinds of diseases).
    - Provides amazing sustained energy.
    - Weight loss (if you also reduce total caloric intake). This can be very significant with little or no hunger.
    - Improved brain function.
    - Supposed to reduce odds of cancer, alzheimer's, dimentia, and on and on.

What do you need to get ready:
    - You should read this book: Keto Clarity by Jimmy Moore. Available for download on Amazon for $9.99.
    - I have read a number of books on Keto and this the best in terms of giving the information without getting too scientific or giving bad info.

Tools you will need:
    You need to buy a Keto blood tester. Here is a link to good info on where to by cheap.
    Here is a link on a place to get them cheaper (they are expensive). Make sure you get the Keto stips and not the Glucose.
    https://www.universaldrugstore.com/medications/Precision Xtra Ketones Test Strips
    Probably a good idea to get a cook book. There are lots of recipies on the internet but you can also look at Jimmy Moore's book, The books at Ruled.me and there are several others out there as well.

Anyway, I will post my progress when we start.

sumtexan and ShutUpSitDown like this.
  2. idiotbox

idiotbox Looking for a dime and found a quarter. VIP

Reputations:
    I did a ketogenic diet a few years ago. It takes me forever to get into ketosis but once there, I burn fat like a mofo.

I had a problem with actually burning too much fat and getting too lean if that's possible.

My body sure did run efficiently as hell on that diet however.

3. Getthepoisonout

Reputations:
    Cool. Sounds like you did everything right, I hope I get similar results but also am concerned about losing too much as I am really not overweight but have some other health issues I am hoping this resolves. I have read that if you are worried about losing too much you just need to eat more fat. I guess I will be spooning in the butter !!!

ShutUpSitDown likes this.
  4. Estocada

Estocada Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I'd be interested in contributing to the thread. Right now, I hope to be at my weight by the end of two months. I've eliminated alcohol, sugar, processed foods and am eating meat, cheeses, veggies and a little fruit. I'm going some weight and the 10k steps a day deal. It's working pretty well for me.

ShutUpSitDown and hsdramaqueen like this.
  5. Getthepoisonout

Reputations:
    Cool.

6. rpeezey

rpeezey Member

Reputations:
    I'd be interested in lurking in this thread, lol. Not much of a poster. Haven't read Jimmy Moore's book but am aware of him. Gotta check it out this weekend. Good luck yall

ShutUpSitDown and hsdramaqueen like this.
  7. Chief Macho

Chief Macho Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I've never done it but I do like Vinny Tortorich's podcast and book. He's not a keto guy exactly but preaches No Sugar, No Grains or NSNG. It's less strict and a move into a life long life style that seems more doable to me. Just avoiding as much sugar and grains as you can rather than worrying about being in keto. It seems to have all the benefits of keto too.

rpeezey likes this.
  8. hsdramaqueen

hsdramaqueen It takes horns to hold up my halo Gold

Reputations:
    Thanks for posting this. Trying to eat healthier the past few months, and seeing tons of good results. I'm not sure if I can commit to going on a full Ketogenic diet yet but I'm trying and reading up on lots of different things.
    I started listening to this guys podcast and I really like him.
    Thanks again. Good luck to everyone, I'll be lurking :)

cetiya and ShutUpSitDown like this.
  9. Estocada

Reputations:
    I'm doing more of a Paleo thing. Meats, veggies, cheese and a little fruit. Nuts for snacks. No grains, rice, pasta. As little sugar as possible. I'm doing the 10k step and mixing in a few 5k type runs and some weights. A little wine on cheats. It is working well.

hsdramaqueen likes this.
  10. hsdramaqueen

Reputations:
    :up: Similar here.. I'm trying to only drink on weekends and just vodka/seltzer.
    Good luck to you!

Estocada, ShutUpSitDown and rpeezey like this.
  11. Estocada

Reputations:
    Have you tried the zen labs apps for training for the 5 and 10k's?

I have found them to be useful. Although it is just a fancy timer.

12. rpeezey

rpeezey Member

Reputations:
    Yup, I second the vodka/seltzer deal. I'm still posting losses while being able to live with a few adult bevs on weekends!

13. ShutUpSitDown

ShutUpSitDown Your Moral and Intellectual Superior

Reputations:
    My wife and I have been doing this since Memorial Day and the results are incredible. She has gone hard core keto from the beginning and has lost 57 lbs. her A1C also dropped from 6.5 to 5.1 in 90 days. I started out moderate low carb (<50g per day) and now I'm shooting for the keto <20g per day (past two weeks have been in that zone). I've lost 70lbs and have to admit that I'm almost never hungry anymore. I had cholesterol of 153 before this started, and after ingesting tons of red meat and cheese the past three months it actually dropped to 112 and my resting BPM went from 68 to 59.

You will feel like shit for a few days when this starts and that is completely normal. It's called keto flu. The cure is salt and advil. Seriously, add salt to everything if your blood pressure is normal.

Here's another pro tip - for some fucking reason pre-shredded cheese usually has carbs, but the big blocks of the same shit don't. Lesson learned. Shred your own. Here's another tip - learn to like pepperoni and salami. They have almost the perfect ratio of fat/protein and zero carbs.

If you don't know what BMR and the Harris-Benedict equation are, google them. You have to know what your body is burning before you can set a realistic daily calorie goal. To lose two pounds per week, you have to create a daily deficit of 1000 calories (7000 calories = two pounds of fat). This doesn't account for exercise, which means you'll lose more if you work out.

Download My Fitness Pal and track EVERYTHING you eat. Even your daily multivitamin. It makes you accountable. This will also allow you to set your macros (percentages of carbs/fat/protein) to the appropriate level so that tracking is easier.

[​IMG]

Use this chart to figure what your daily intakes should be. Do what you have to do to hit protein. That is a MINIMUM. Fat and carbs are maximums. 100 calorie Muscle Milks make great snacks to sneak in extra protein, and are either 1 or 2 net carbs depending on what flavor you pick.

Any other questions - fire away. It's the easiest diet you will even be on. You never feel deprived. You sleep better. Your aches and pains disappear.

sumtexan, rpeezey and Estocada like this.
  14. ShutUpSitDown

ShutUpSitDown Your Moral and Intellectual Superior

Reputations:
    Gin and bourbon are excellent for this too. Tequila and rum not so much, so I understand.

rpeezey and hsdramaqueen like this.
  15. Estocada

Reputations:

Congrats to you and your wife.

16. hsdramaqueen

Reputations:

Hey! Good for you!!! And your lovely wife!
    :bigthink Hmmm you are motivating me to go for it.
    I might...I'm on a little break from running right now...my hip flexor is bugging me..so maybe it's a good time to try.
    Although I really enjoy running and am determined to get back asap.
    I had no idea about the cheese! Coincidentally I just bought a big block of Kerrygold cheese at Costco...a Parmesan I believe, and that's all we've been eating. It is so good.

And also thanks for advice about pepperoni and salami. I was on one of my road trips to take my kid to school and at the rest stop there was a snack container with salami and cheese squares. So that's what I chose. Normally I would avoid those meats.

It's so hard when you're traveling all the time. I gained about 12 pds the last two years from that and my metabolism slowing down I guess. (I blame all those pierogi in Pittsburgh! :c )
    I lost 10...so it's going good. Might try to lose 10 more. Not sure the hubby would like that lol...but my Bp is down..that's what really I really needed and what motivated me.
    Thanks again and good luck! :hug:

17. hsdramaqueen

Reputations:
    And I second the my fitness pal app! I really like it. I stopped after a while when I was running a lot and working out every day because it seemed I was burning a lot of calories and knew my stuff like clockwork. But I realize now that I'm on the road again I NEED to get back on there.

sumtexan and ShutUpSitDown like this.
  18. Donkeyboy2190

Donkeyboy2190 Never earned a dimes

Reputations:
    You need to get off this ASAP. We can't have you not looking like a stereotypical wrasslin fan

19. hsdramaqueen

Reputations:
    :giggle:

20. hsdramaqueen

Reputations:
    I have a question. I am eating a lot more chicken than red meat I think. Is this bad?

And I heard gin is not so good...paleo wise. I love love love it. Does anyone know any info on that