Anyone interested in starting a Ketogenic diet ?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Getthepoisonout, Aug 6, 2016.

1. Bubbleguts420

Bubbleguts420 2 word review, shit sandwich

Reputations:
    Anyone else been making the “crack slaw”?
    It’s great to make and throw in the fridge. My favorite easy dish.

hsdramaqueen likes this.
  2. Gus

Gus No strings attached

Reputations:
    Thanks, will do!

ShutUpSitDown and IfTheyOnlyKnew like this.
  3. IfTheyOnlyKnew

IfTheyOnlyKnew VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    No...recipe please! :)

ShutUpSitDown likes this.
  4. Bubbleguts420

Reputations:
    This makes a giant pot and I don’t really measure.

3lbs of meat (ground beef, chilli meat, ground pork, ground chicken, ground breakfast sausage). Whatever you like or is on sale.

2 bags of cole slaw mix.

Garlic, soy sauce (or aminos to cut extra carbs), siracha, chili paste, red pepper flakes, sesame oil, sesame seeds, green onions.

Cook the meat, drain it, season it, dump one bag of slaw, mix real good, season It again, add about 3/4 of the other bag of slaw. Add more of your seasonings (soy, siracha, splash of oil, the seeds). Cook on low til all the slaw mix wilts up.

It tastes like a stir fry bowl. Think of it like the inside of an egg roll.

Sorry for the lack of direction. I’m not a big recipe guy.
    If you google it you will find something more precise.

I bring it for lunch a couple meals and eat it for dinner a few times a week.

hsdramaqueen and IfTheyOnlyKnew like this.
  5. IfTheyOnlyKnew

Reputations:
    Hey, has anyone else tried these? They are Aldi brand.
    IMG_0706.JPG
    I'm addicted!!! They absolutely satisfy my sweet tooth. And only 2 net grams of carbs! :up:

Aldi has several low-carb bars that are really good.

hsdramaqueen and ShutUpSitDown like this.
  6. IfTheyOnlyKnew

Reputations:
    Oh my gosh, that sounds amazing!!! :drool:

Thank you! :hug:

ShutUpSitDown and Bubbleguts420 like this.
  7. Bubbleguts420

Reputations:

Let me know if you try it.

I usually do a 1lb log of the breakfast sausage and a 2lb pack of lean ground beef.

8. IfTheyOnlyKnew

Reputations:
    I will! I'm not big on breakfast sausage, I'll probably do all ground beef.

ShutUpSitDown and Bubbleguts420 like this.
  9. Gus

Gus No strings attached

Reputations:
    Started keto today!

Had a nice breakfast with eggs and sausage.

10. Bubbleguts420

Reputations:

That’s my go to dinner at least once a week. When I don’t feel like cooking.
    Frozen sausage patties. No carb, 1 minute in the microwave. Boom, done.

11. Gus

Gus No strings attached

Reputations:
    I have some of those, they were on sale at Costco.

12. hsdramaqueen

hsdramaqueen It takes horns to hold up my halo Gold

Reputations:
    Good luck!
    Enjoy- it's awesome!

Don't forget your electolytes if you start to feel crappy, nauseous, lethargic all of a sudden. Get some magnesium, or some low salt mixed in water...or have a boullion cube broth. It took me a while to realize this was happening to me...thought I was getting sick but it was the Keto flu.

Right now I'm doing zero carb... it's been two weeks now (meat, eggs, cheese butter, fish and water) (ok...and vodka, you guys don't think I'd give up that did you?? Let's not get crazy :p)

But anyway, I was shocked how I got knocked down by the electrolyte thing two weeks ago and last week too. Because I thought I knew what I was doing! I was a mess for a day or two...one day I couldn't even get off the couch, and could barely hold my phone. and then it hit me, it was the carb flu. Didn't think I'd go through it again, because I have been so low carb for so long (over a year) And I didn't think I would go through that just dropping vegetables! The nausea was really bad. And I take magnesium and potassium every day. And put low salt on everything. So I had to double up on those and add in 2-3 bouillon cubes a day...I think I'm starting to adapt now and it's getting easier.

ShutUpSitDown, Gus and IfTheyOnlyKnew like this.
  13. IfTheyOnlyKnew

Reputations:
    Yikes! I'm sorry you had to go through that :(
    Glad you're feeling better. :hug:

ShutUpSitDown and hsdramaqueen like this.
  14. Gus

Gus No strings attached

Reputations:

Great advice, thanks!

15. hsdramaqueen

Reputations:
    Hello Keto friends. I kind of want to comment on my zero carb experience but I'm also a little leery. Even in a Keto thread!
    I realize I am going against the grain, even here.
    Did I say grain??? Lol.

For some reason I felt this pull to give up vegetables and go all meat/animal products and water. The amount of gas and ummmm other stuff going on was making me feel like... is this right???
    I felt like at times things were going right through me. And I was still getting a "crash" after a high veggie meal. And I never got that whole Keto buzz...the fullness and mental clarity. So I decided to experiment and do 30 days of just animal products. And occasional vodka. :p Or...OV.

I have two interesting things to report...my allergies are SO MUCH better without vegetables. Wacky...I have had HORRIBLE dust mite allergies forever. So today I cleaned out my whole mudroom-getting ready for winter..going through all the shoes, gloves and hats from last winter. They have been packed away, and are sooo dusty, normally I take a Zyrtec before I ever clean anything. But especially this time of year, just getting out all the winter coats and sweaters my allergies are out of control and I always have to take a Zyrtec every day. The fall is always rough for me. I have had a problems with dust mites as far back as I can remember...about 10 years old.

Anyway, today I cleaned and shook out all that dusty stuff. I did not take a Zyrtec. Which I always usually do BEFORE I do any type of cleaning because if I don't, I am a mess afterwards. For hours. Mostly itchy eyes and sneezing. So I clean out this whole mudroom and I didn't sneeze ONCE. NOTHING!! No teary eyes...no coughing! It was crazy. The entire night!!! And I realized, I have not taken a Zyrtec in many weeks...

I also decided to take my blood pressure tonight. I usually take it in the morning because I read somewhere, much like your weight, thats when it is the best. Today, even in the evening, it was lower than it has been in many many months!!!
    116/73
    :eek:

I took it again and it was 120/77
    :yay:

Hands down the best numbers I have gotten this year.

So I am thinking, for me, an animal product based diet with no vegetables may have many benefits.

I do sometimes miss variety. But I find that I'm ok with it too. I like not having to think about it. A few nights I'm looking for something else, but honestly with 2-4 teens here at any time, still cooking for them, and everything tempting in my house, there's just nothing else I really want but red meat. I don't even want chicken thighs or pork which I love...just red meat. It's weird!

Edited to say I am also eating eggs, cheese, fish, butter and drinking coffee.
    I know nothing can be totally zero carb, as eggs and meat do have a tiny bit of carbs in them...
    I'm thinking I will add in some vegetables again some day, maybe a few times a week. But for me, it will never be the thing I eat the most, I think they are just too inflammatory for me.
    Oh- and my Keto rash is GONE. So going too low carb was not what was triggering it. My wacky theory? I eliminated everything in my diet but animal products and vegetables, and something in the vegetables was giving me that rash...and maybe throwing off my microbiome.

Also, if you are hung up on the fiber thing, there are SO MANY things out there about how we don't need fiber. People on the SAD do, just to push things through. Just do a google search on low carb and fiber.

That's all I can report right now. I haven't lost any more weight. The people who I've been with here, know I have 10 pesky pounds. Sometimes15. They continue to illude me, despite exercising a few times a week. But I'm over 50 and I feel that's not a big deal. Most days. Still- I'm not sure if it's because I workout with weights or my age. Or maybe that I cheat on the weekends with alcohol and other stuff. I've read a lot that zero carb people don't lose a lot of weight, but lose inches. So we will see. I haven't been counting calories, or macros or anything. I may at some point. It was an adjustment with the electolytes and everything, much like Keto in the beginning, so I've just been concentrating on that. I do feel like I'm eating a lot less. I am still taking magnesium twice a day instead of once like I was before. I do feel like that's um, helping things move along, so to speak and I wonder if I'll feel dependent on that like some do on fiber?

I do feel like my face is less bloated. But I'm not sure.

:clap: Yay to all of us for being here at all and bio hacking ourselves instead of waiting for the "experts" to figure it out.
    Keep calm and Keto on!!

:facepalm: I should just write a blog. :jj:

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
  16. IfTheyOnlyKnew

Reputations:
    This is so awesome!!! I'm glad it is working out the way you had hoped.

Things are still moving really slowly here. I know part of it is definitely my age and the whole menopause thing. However, the biggest difference between this time and last time is that I am not exercising. I realize that if I could get my big butt to the gym, I would be losing so much faster.

However, that being said, I am down 21 pounds now, and I feel fantastic, so there's that :p

I've reached the point where people are noticing finally. Two different people at work asked me on Saturday if I had been losing weight. We all know what an awesome feeling that is. :D

ShutUpSitDown and hsdramaqueen like this.
  17. hsdramaqueen

Reputations:
    :yay: That is awesome!!! 21 pounds is a big deal- especially without exercising!!!!
    And feeling fantastic is so key!!

18. hsdramaqueen

Reputations:
    Full disclosure I had to take a Zyrtec last night :jj:
    So maybe my allergies are not completely cleared up
    :facepalm:

But my BP continues to be good. Going to try and not obsess on that and go back to checking once a week.

19. Gus

Gus No strings attached

Reputations:
    Been in ketosis for a few days now, already lost 8 pounds.

20. hsdramaqueen

Reputations:
    :lo5: Excellent! Congrats!!

IfTheyOnlyKnew, Gus and ShutUpSitDown like this.