Anyone interested in starting a Ketogenic diet ?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Getthepoisonout, Aug 6, 2016.

1. IfTheyOnlyKnew

IfTheyOnlyKnew Well-Known Member POTY The Bar Gold

Reputations:
    Scarlett Ohara and Donkeyboy2190 like this.
  2. Iroth

Iroth мудак 2010 OG VIP Gold

Reputations:
    On my second day back on the grind after an extended carb filled break :jj:. So far a little grumpy but overall ok.

3. Gus

Gus No strings attached

Reputations:
    Update: Now I’ve lost 55 pounds! I need some new clothes.

4. iceguy

iceguy Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I just finished cleaning out my closet. I got rid of 90% of it. All that's left are the clothes I've bought over the last couple of months.

IfTheyOnlyKnew and Gus like this.
  5. Gus

Gus No strings attached

Reputations:
    I threw out a ton of clothes too. I still have a bunch that are too big but I don’t want to be without enough clothes. I kind of don’t want to buy clothes now because I might get even smaller in a few months so I suppose I’ll wait until then.

My work uniform is huge on me now, I did put in a request for some smaller shirts.

IfTheyOnlyKnew and iceguy like this.
  6. iceguy

iceguy Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    That's why I waited. My weight hasn't changed for just about 8 months now. Wanted to make sure I was stable.

IfTheyOnlyKnew likes this.
  7. Tickle Shits

Tickle Shits Soul Satisfying and Deeply Nourishing Gold

Reputations:
    So I accidentally put myself in a state of Ketosis and I don't like it. I've pretty much went carb free this week and man do I feel like shit. It's crazy I like the 6 pounds I needed to loose, mostly water weight I'm sure... I'm gonna ride this out for another week then just tweak it to be a maintenance diet.

8. iceguy

iceguy Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Keto flu.

https://blog.kettleandfire.com/keto-flu/

Tickle Shits and IfTheyOnlyKnew like this.
  9. IfTheyOnlyKnew

Reputations:
    Ever since the first time I lost a ton of weight (>85 lbs) I have been buying clothes at the thrift store. Believe me, there was a time I would not be caught dead in a thrift store, but in the past few years, I have become a total convert. Plus, the ones around here that I like to go to are all in really nice neighborhoods, so the things that are donated are in good condition and a lot of times they are designer brands.

I mostly buy jeans. I have never paid more than three dollars for a pair of jeans. At the one thrift store I go to, the jeans are three dollars every day, but every week they do a different "sale." One week it was jeans, buy one get one free. I bought six pairs of jeans for nine dollars.:cheer:

A couple of weeks ago, I was at the Goodwill near where I work, where I go every week, sometimes several times a week. My New Year's resolution was to only look at things that had the half-price color of the week tags. A couple of weeks ago, I got a pair of Jones New York Jeans for three dollars, and a pair of Gloria Vanderbilt jeans for three dollars.:yes:

Every once in a while, I will look at the tops, but like I said, mostly just jeans. My tops I can get away with wearing through different sizes, thanks to my in enormous rack. :p
    Pants, however, look goofy when they are too big.

I guess I should point out that I do buy new clothes at the store like a normal person, too. But, when I am losing weight, I hate to spend a lot of money on clothes that hopefully won't fit me for very long.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
    Gus, Scarlett Ohara, iceguy and 2 others like this.
  10. IfTheyOnlyKnew

Reputations:
    OK, I forgot the actual reason I clicked on this thread. :p

I came across this recipe and decided to try it today. I just whipped up a batch and stuck it in the fridge. I'll try to remember to come back later tonight when I taste it and let you know what I think.

https://lowcarbyum.com/dairy-free-coconut-chocolate-fudge-recipe/

I really have been struggling this week. It was Paczki Day on Tuesday, plus Mr. ITOK's birthday on Tuesday, and Valentine's Day on Wednesday. My sweet tooth is in overdrive. Yes, I have cheated this week. :oops:

But, I need to get back on track, which is why I was looking for a keto treat I can make to try and curb my cravings.

Scarlett Ohara, iceguy and rpeezey like this.
  11. rpeezey

rpeezey Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Ugh I've been all the way off the rails.... Mr. Rpeezey missed fruit.... then we added back oats. All fine and well but then comes the junk like white potatoes and tortillas. Oh and of course beer. I'm working on trying to find our happy medium. Maybe one day ill find it.... Hope so at least...

12. Tickle Shits

Reputations:

I'm so glad I was sick this week because I love Paczkis and would have had a hard time with this. My wife even brought home junk food and I was too sick to eat. I'm back to be goal weight already 206 to 195 in a week an a half.

Although my wife made the comment that I lost a lot of muscle and my arms feel "squishy". :crying:

IfTheyOnlyKnew likes this.
  13. IfTheyOnlyKnew

Reputations:
    :console:

I'm sorry you've been sick, I hope you're back to feeling 100% soon.

Scarlett Ohara and Tickle Shits like this.
  14. IfTheyOnlyKnew

Reputations:
    Hi, guys! :hw:

OK, so I pulled the fudge out, and cut it into 16 squares, just like the recipe called for. I only ate one so far. It's not horrible. Ok, I would even go so far as to call it good. :)

If you like the mouth the feel of coconut oil, you would probably like this. I'm talking about putting solid coconut oil in your mouth, and letting it melt. Truthfully, it's one of my favorite ways to get coconut oil in my diet. The "fudge" melts in your mouth just like coconut oil.

I would have liked a little bit more shredded coconut, but that's just me. My only issue has to do with the fact that the only kind of powdered sweetener I had in my house was Splenda that is made for baking. The chocolate had a bit of an artificial sweetener aftertaste. Not horrible, just artificial. I definitely will be finishing the rest of the batch, I may even make the recipe again. But, maybe I will try and look for some other type of sweetener first. Overall, I think they are tasty little fat bombs, if you are looking for that type of thing.

In the interest of full disclosure, I will tell you that I completely melted the coconut oil in the microwave, and then used a whisk to blend in the cocoa powder, almond milk, sweetener, and vanilla. I used a rubber spatula to stir in the coconut. It just seems way easier than dirtying my blender. I put it in a plastic container very similar to the one the woman used in her post. I also lined it with parchment paper, so it popped right out.

If anyone else tries out the recipe, I would love to hear what you think.

Scarlett Ohara and iceguy like this.
  15. iceguy

iceguy Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I've been using a blend of erythritol and monk fruit for "sugar". Easy to find at most local health food stores or online. It tastes really good in anything I put it in, I can't tell the difference in taste between it and sugar. It doesn't dissolve as well as sugar, so I always put it in the vitamix and powder it, like icing sugar, dissolves perfectly after that.

rpeezey and IfTheyOnlyKnew like this.
  16. IfTheyOnlyKnew

Reputations:
    Awesome, thanks for the info. :)

iceguy likes this.
  17. IfTheyOnlyKnew

Reputations:
    OK, I know nobody really cares, but I'm going to share it anyway. :p

So, I have sort of been drinking bulletproof coffee in the mornings for a couple weeks. I say sort because I am just using coconut oil, not the Irish butter. It is way out of my budget right now.

Anyway, I used to put coconut oil in my coffee years ago just because I liked the flavor, and it gave me the benefits of the coconut oil. But I would just stir it in then. The layer of oil would sit on the top of the coffee, which truthfully, I did not mind. Plus, my lips always look like I had on lipgloss. :D

When I started doing it again a few weeks ago, I would use a mini whisk to whisk it into my coffee. It would mix fairly well, but as it sat, the oil with slowly come to the top again. I knew I needed to get a blender to actually emulsify it. But, I hated using my big giant blender to make a cup of coffee, so I never did it.

I went and bought myself a little personal blender the other day at Walmart. I didn't need anything fancy since I will probably only use it for the coffee. I got a little Hamilton Beach one at Walmart, it was around $15. IMG_1332.JPG I finally broke it out this morning, washed it and made my coffee with it. Holy crap, what a difference! (I know all of you already know all this, so forgive me for boring you.) My coffee completely changed color, as if it had cream in it. And, the flavor was completely different. It actually tasted like it had cream in it. I am surprised only because I didn't use butter, only the coconut oil, which is not dairy, obviously. It was freaking awesome! I'm about to go make another cup right now. :)

iceguy, rpeezey and Tickle Shits like this.
  18. Tickle Shits

Reputations:
    I need to change up my coffee. My biggest gripe with this Keto diet was to drink black coffee. I miss the tiny bit of sugar that I used to put in it :(

This is a tough time my wife brought home 4 boxes of thin mints :bigcry:

iceguy likes this.
  19. IfTheyOnlyKnew

Reputations:
    Well, I have taken my coffee black for several years now. But, back in the day, I used to take it with extra cream and four Splenda. Then I cut all artificial sweeteners out of my diet, and I just decided I would leave the cream out, too. It's a little odd to be drinking coffee that has a dairy flavor to it again.

iceguy likes this.
  20. IfTheyOnlyKnew

Reputations:
    I'm sorry about the thin mints, by the way. :(

But, I guarantee if you go online you can find a recipe for a fat bomb that is chocolate mint. I posted here about some keto fudge I made. It called for vanilla extract, but I am sure if you added peppermint instead, it would be pretty decent.

iceguy and Tickle Shits like this.