Anyone subscribe to MLB.TV?

Discussion in 'The Bar' started by nicksgt, Feb 7, 2012.

1. nicksgt

nicksgt Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Couple of questions.

1. How is the quality? I have read a lot of reviews online where people complain about freezing and the picture not being that great, but it seems like older reviews, dont know if it got any better.
    2. Right now I have DirecTV's extra innings, and I tape the games I want to watch and then watch them after the family goes to bed, could I do this with MLB? It seems like I would have to wait until the games are over and then be able to watch them.

2. pheelios

pheelios Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    do you have a dvr?

3. Little Joey

Little Joey Member

Reputations:
    The quality is very good. It's like watching on your television set, minus the High Definition. Make sure you have a fast internet connection like Cable or DSL. (Here's the link for anything relating to the service: http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/help/faq_index.jsp ) I've subscribed for the past 2 years since it's my only access to out of state ball games because of satellite t.v. connection problems.

MLB does have strict local blackout restrictions, so before purchase know what those restrictions are in regards to your favorite club. For instance, I live outside the Boston market (Iowa) so accessing live Red Sox games, with exception to televised games on national television, (Fox, ESPN & TBS) are not a problem. But I can't watch live Cubs, White Sox, Twins, Royals, Brewers and Cardinals games. (Iowa is unique because 6 teams have territorial claims to the state, though last year I was only restricted from Cardinals games only) Be known that if you live within the t.v. area of your local team, you will be subject to a blackout during the live telecast. Here's MLB's map http://www.bizofbaseball.com/images/MLB_Blackout_Map1000x733.gif

Regarding watching games after the fact, it can get a little tricky depending on when you want to watch the games. Usually the games are back on line, or "archived", to watch about 90 minutes after completion of the game. However, it can be frustrating at times because there have been numerous occaisions (about 20-25% of the time) where it can take much longer.

The beauty of watching the archived games is that you can go from inning to inning, or batter to batter. It's a great way of saving time if you want to watch certain portions of the game or certain batters. Also, as a added bonus, you can watch any team's game at any point during the season. Basically, you can watch a game from April in September, nationallized game or not, between any MLB team.

If given the choice, I'd rather have Extra Innings than MLB.tv, but it's an excellent alternative if you can't get Directv. And you can access MLB.tv from several different mobile devices to boot. The MLB.tv package is also slightly cheaper than MLB's Extra Innings. But the big kicker for you might be watching those local games in real time if you live within your favorite team's territory, and watching those games immediately after the games have ended. If that's the case, stick with Extra Innings.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2012
  4. nicksgt

Reputations:

awesome response, thank you very much..funny you mention the red sox this is why i get the extra innings package, but i live in central ohio...i have a roku box so this should be pretty easy to set up

i think you sealed my decision though, because you mentioned the exact thing i am worried about. typically games start at 7, so i will start the recording and then when my toddler goes to bed go down to my theater room and watch them..i usually work while watching the game, so i dont want to wait until after the game is over to be able to watch them

however i travel a lot for work, so maybe it would be worth having both?

and pheelios, yes i have a dvr, any advice you can provide?

5. Little Joey

Little Joey Member

Reputations:
    Your welcome. Anything for a fellow Red Sox fan. (especially after that huge September collapse. Ugh, spring training can't come soon enough.)

Regarding MLB.TV, it's only about $100 per year but there are a few web sites that usually offer the game for free. However, not every game is on line and it's often not the best visual quality. It just depends how often your on the road. They do offer just an on line audio package that's significantly cheaper. I also believe you can buy the on line video or audio package on a monthly basis. Additionally, for potential customers, they offer the first week's regular season games for free as a trial basis.

By the way, what's a Roku Box? And how does that help you watch the game? May be that'll help my watching experience. Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2012
  6. nicksgt

Reputations:
    i probably couldnt do it justice trying to explain it, it's kind of like apple tv if you are familiar with that..check out the site http://www.roku.com/

its basically a media streaming device, hooks to your tv via hdmi, and you can download apps to fit whatever you want to watch, some are free, some are monthly fee and some are one time fee, just like apple apps...you can get the cheapest roku for $50 and there is no fee for the roku service but they are awesome, highly recommend it

7. Little Joey

Little Joey Member

Reputations:
    I'll go check it out. Thanks, Nicksgt.

8. Lumpy

Lumpy Active Member

Reputations:
    I love it. Quality is great. Even good on the iPhone.