Apple Has Highest Quarterly Profit In Corporate History - $18 Billion

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by BethSucks, Jan 28, 2015.

1. BethSucks

BethSucks Well-Known Member Staff Member

Reputations:
    Apple just posted the best quarter in corporate history
    NEW YORK (CNNMoney)

Apple posted the biggest profit in corporate history last quarter after selling a record number of iPhones.
    Apple (AAPL, Tech30) sold 74.5 million iPhones in the last three months. That helped Apple's profit soar more than 37% to $18 billion. That's larger than Gazprom's $16.2 billion profit during the first quarter of 2011 -- the previous profit record posted by a corporation.

Apple also posted a stunning $74.6 billion in sales, up nearly 30% from the same period last year. That's not close to a global corporate record, but it's the best quarterly revenue Apple ever posted.

"Interest in Apple products is at an all time high ... shattering our high expectations," said CEO Tim Cook on a conference call with analysts. "This volume is hard to comprehend."

Shares of Apple soared 5% in after hours trading.

Mac sales grew about 15% to a record 5.5 million. Apple said iTunes sales also hit a record high, while iPad sales continued to slump, falling 18% to 21.4 million

But the story was the iPhone.

Cook noted that Apple sold an average of 30,000 iPhones every hour.

The iPhone is already the single best-selling gadget of all time. But this past quarter, the iPhone outsold some gadgets made by entire industries.

The whole TV industry sold fewer than 60 million televisions last quarter, according to IHS. The tablet industry sold just 54 million tablets, IDC reported.

In fact, the iPhone very nearly outsold the entire PC industry. Computer makers sold fewer than 84 million desktop and laptops last quarter, according to Gartner. That's every HP (HPQ, Tech30), Lenovo, Mac, Dell -- everything.

Apple had never sold more than 51 million iPhones in a quarter, which it accomplished a year ago. But that was before the deal with China's biggest mobile provider, China Mobile (CHL), which went into effect in the first quarter of 2014.

That deal benefited Apple in a big way last quarter. Apple's China sales soared 70% last quarter. For the first time, Apple sold more iPhones in China than in the United States.

Making such gigantic inroads in China was once believed impossible. Apple's brand did not hold the same cache as some Chinese smartphone makers, including Xiaomi, Lenovo and Huawei. And those brands heavily discount their phones, making them far more accessible to the masses than Apple makes the iPhone.

Apple also rolled out the new iPhone 6 to other countries last quarter faster than it had in previous years, helping Apple boost its iPhone sales. The iPhone 6 is available in 130 countries. Apple also said its supplier efficiencies helped the company manufacture 7 million more iPhones than it had expected to make last quarter.

But the iPhone's expected success isn't solely due to China,the global market or supply chains.

The iPhone 6 has proven extremely popular with customers who were holding out for a bigger Apple smartphone. The 4.7-inch screen competes much better with some larger Android smartphones, and the superior camera has helped some would-be defectors stick with the iPhone brand.

The new iPhone didn't just grow Apple's smartphone volume -- it also grew revenue by convincing customers to spend more money on their devices. The even giant-er, $100-more-expensive iPhone 6 Plus has also helped drive sales, accounting for about a quarter of all iPhones sold last quarter, Nomura Securites analyst Stuart Jeffrey believes (Apple doesn't break out iPhone 6 Plus sales separately).

Even better for Apple, Jeffrey expects that about half of all customers spent an extra $100 on their iPhone 6 and 6 Plus devices to upgrade to 64 gigabytes of storage -- four times the amount of the standard 16 GB model. Last fall, Apple doubled the storage size of its mid-tier iPhone. Previous editions had just 32 GB of storage, so customers jumped at a good value.

All the good iPhone news is why Apple posted a record quarter: About two-thirds of Apple's sales and earnings come from the iPhone.

But Apple has more potential billion-dollar products on the way. Tim Cook announced Tuesday that the Apple Watch will go on sale in April.

2. Ving

Ving Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Thanks Obama

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
    Gusbuss likes this.
  3. Mike2077

Mike2077 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I invented apples Robin.

Jayla, JameGumb and Honkey Donkey like this.
  4. Honkey Donkey

Honkey Donkey Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    That's a lot of marbles Robin

5. FishySausage

FishySausage Original Nuttah VIP Gold

Reputations:
    Damn. That's a lot of scratch

6. SillyOldMan

SillyOldMan Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I bought an Iphone 6+ in November upgrading from a 4s. I expected more from the battery and I really wasn't overwhelmed with anything because you get to upgrade the software on old phones (so it felt like the exact same phone to me, except bigger). Regardless, I think Apple does a lot of things right including the camera. I keep waiting for Microsoft to take a bigger chunk of the mobile pie but they just can't seem to get things rolling...... maybe windows 10 will help get more favorable momentum on the mobile side too.

7. Limo Wreck

Limo Wreck Aboard the great mothership Staff Member

Reputations:
    I also upgraded from the 4s to the 6. I love the 6 but hate all of the space ios8 takes up.

Birddog and Droog like this.
  8. Droog

Droog Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    I wouldn't be surprised if 32gb becomes standard on the 6s. They can fuck off charging $100 more for 64gb.

Boomer and Limo Wreck like this.
  9. Droog

Droog Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Tablet sales are dropping because they're worthless except for gaming. Phones have become large enough and fast enough that people don't use the tablets for browsing anymore. Doesn't matter how nice they are or how thin and light, I'm not going to carry one around. I just use my phone.

10. RenchFries

RenchFries Official Dawgshed Dutch representative Gold

Reputations:
    Gay

Jayla likes this.
  11. Shithead

Shithead Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    And yet their stock took a shit yesterday

tempetoro likes this.
  12. cg256

cg256 Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    I just wish that they'd take their huge profits, massive market share, and good will in the public to move manufacturing back to the US. If one company could take a stand, it'd be them. I'd turn into the biggest Apple fan boy.

Gusbuss likes this.
  13. PI Nate

PI Nate Disenfranchised since 1984... Gold

Reputations:
    Where are the lefties screaming about Apple paying their fair share? :lmao:

Joe, EndOfLine and CrucifiedAGT like this.
  14. cg256

cg256 Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Apple was actually one of the companies that pioneered the Double Irish Dutch Sandwich tax evasion scheme.

DuckDong and chapped like this.
  15. Scott

Scott Masshole Staff Member

Reputations:
    I think of my tablet as more of a replacement for my computer than my phone. I love it.

Shortwave98, CrucifiedAGT and reno like this.
  16. Beth143nacho

Beth143nacho Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Ving isn't bright enough to understand irony

17. Dick Fitzwell

Dick Fitzwell Opinions are like assholes ... and so am I

Reputations:
    I wonder how they get away with charging double for their laptops compared to similar Windows-based laptops, and people are willing to pay it. I understand the concept of getting what you pay for, but there's no way in hell it's actually worth the difference.

Droog likes this.
  18. Birddog

Birddog Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Have you used a Mac? I switched a couple of years ago and think it's worth it. Plus they hold their value when it's time to upgrade

GoshGeeGolly and CrucifiedAGT like this.
  19. markluke

markluke Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Except that the latest iOS on a 4s makes it run like a dog. A dog with 3 legs.

Shortwave98 likes this.
  20. markluke

markluke Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Plus you can run Windows on it in Boot Camp, Parallels or Fusion. I have the 2012 version (the last non-retina Pro) and did all of the component upgrades myself...can't see upgrading any time soon.