Apple patents tech to let cops switch off iPhone video, camera and wi-fi

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by dawg, Aug 22, 2013.

1. dawg

dawg In The Dog House Staff Member

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

Police forces around the world have had the problem that when their officers get a bit carried away and start pepper spraying tied captives there is someone on hand filming the event on their mobile phones.
    While six police lay into prone grannies on the floor with long batons, the pictures can be on the net in seconds, meaning supervisors have to answer embarrassing questions.

But they may not need to fear scrutiny much longer - Apple has patented a piece of technology which would allow government and police to block transmission of information, including video and photographs, whenever they like.
    All the coppers have to do is decide that a public gathering or venue is deemed "sensitive", and needs to be "protected from externalities" and Apple will switch off all its gear.
    The police can then get on with the very difficult task of kettling protesters without having to worry about a few beating anyone to death.

Apple insists that the affected sites are mostly cinemas, theatres, concert grounds and similar locations, but it does admit that it could be used in "covert police or government operations which may require complete 'blackout' conditions".
    According to RT it could also be used to prevent whistleblowers like Edward Snowden from taking pictures and broadcasting them on the interent.
    Apple said that the wireless transmission of sensitive information to a remote source is one example of a threat to security.

But it said that this sensitive information could be anything from classified government information to questions or answers to an examination administered in an academic setting.

Apple patented the means to transmit an encoded signal to all wireless devices, commanding them to disable recording functions.

The policies would be activated by GPS, and wi-fi or mobile base-stations, which would ring-fence ("geofence") around a building or a "sensitive area" to prevent phone cameras from taking pictures or recording video.
    Odd that the company made famous by its 1984 Big Brother video can't really see what it is doing. Perhaps its own secretive culture and an overzealous security treatment of its staff have fostered sympathy for Big Brother after all.

[video=youtube;R706isyDrqI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R706isyDrqI[/video]

2. SouthernListen

SouthernListen I don't follow the crowd. Sorry about that. VIP

Reputations:
    Another reason to keep a "dumb" phone or camera handy. Today I realized that Google updated its navigation app not to improve service but to route every place you input in an integrated fashion so apparently there is a record of it somewhere. I guess some Federal computer has a program running to check for patterns of people going from the fertilizersupplier to a fuel oil supplier.

3. landfill

landfill Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    This is one fucked up scary society we live in.

4. Vashier

Vashier VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Gee why would they want to be able to shut off all cell cameras?

[video=youtube;REbuE9Ir82E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REbuE9Ir82E&feature=player_detailpage[/video]

5. Douchebag 007

Douchebag 007 New Member

Reputations:
    Can you imagine if they could force gun manufactures to install this? America would implode

6. Vashier

Vashier VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    They are trying to pass a law to chip guns, not sure if it is a MA senator, or a senator from MA. so I'm unclear if it's a state or national bill.

7. PSU Shower Room

PSU Shower Room Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    good for you apple.

you can keep that patent. google may be willing to hand over all my stuff to the government, but at least my camera still works when i need it to.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
  8. Bob Loblaw

Bob Loblaw Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    HaHa the jokes on them. I have Sprint, so anytime I'm in an area with more than two Sprint phones on the same tower I can't get service. I always know if Im at a concert, sporting event, theme park or even on a crowded street that I wont have service. They can't transmit shit to my phone if I have no connection.

You Verizon people are fucked though.

9. Chimney Portions

Chimney Portions I drink cum Banned User

Reputations:
    There have been politicians who want to "chip" guns for nearly two decades. It'll never happen. The uproar would be tremendous and all gun laws would have to be changed first. It'd be a de facto registry and it'd mean that traditions like taking your son hunting or teaching your wife to shoot would have to cease. Of all the potential gun control ideas floating around, that one scares me the least.

Anyway, this Apple news is scary shit. What scares me even more is that we have a SCOTUS who could go either way when it comes to the notion that police have the right to use the technology.

I saw a video today of a cops tazing a non-violent, unarmed man on the roof of a building and then strangling him to death after he fell. I can picture a time when cops literally wait until they hit their Phone Kill Button before doing whatever the fuck they want with impunity (even though it seems they have impunity even without that tech.)

[video=youtube;9Z4e3XoBUjA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Z4e3XoBUjA[/video]

10. PSU Shower Room

Reputations:
    what'sss that?

11. HS Cult Leader

HS Cult Leader Elite Member Gold

Reputations:
    Yup, those pesky cameras keep interfering with official police business especially when they record those "isolated incidents" of police abuse and over reaching. Time to go back to the old way of it being your word against the cops.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
  12. HS Cult Leader

HS Cult Leader Elite Member Gold

Reputations:

Damn that video!

What really happened was he had a weapon and lunged at the officers and in fear for his life he hit him with the taser. The crazy drugged out man then threw himself off the roof at other officers who were in fear for their lives, they then utilized their police training at took him into custody. But the man was still fighting requiring two officers to take medical leave from their injuries. It appears he died from all the drugs he was on. That's the official report and all officers interviewed agreed that's how it happened.

Case closed, all officers involved acted properly. :golfclap:

13. blottomsup

blottomsup Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    yes.

14. blottomsup

blottomsup Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    If this technology existed 50 years ago, there would be no Zapruder film.

As it was, the conspirators were only able to shut down the Dallas police radios and the White House communications.

Food for thought.

15. PSU Shower Room

Reputations:
    or pentagon papers.

16. newcastlefan

newcastlefan גֵּרְשֹׁם VIP

Reputations:
    most people have droids so i doubt this is a big deal. since droids are open, anything google adds to it, someone else can remove.

17. Chimney Portions

Chimney Portions I drink cum Banned User

Reputations:
    Pretty much.

Rialto, CA cops were forced to wear mini-cameras on their person. The result? Use of force dropped over 60%. Surely just a big coincidence.

http://www.informationliberation.com/?id=44427

18. SleepingWarrior

SleepingWarrior Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    And people looked at me funny when I told them I've never owned a cell phone let alone a smart phone.

19. Turtle Man

Turtle Man Hello Darling Gold

Reputations:
    They may shut my iPhone and camera .. Log my emails and my Internet use

but they'll never take my fredommmmmmmmm

are ye ready for a war!!!!

20. EndOfLine

EndOfLine PLATINUM SPONSOR VIP

Reputations:
    You keep telling yourself Google is looking out for you. The only reason they haven't done this yet is they haven't had time to copy it yet.

Here's the patent: http://www.google.com/patents/US8254902

Looks like its intention is to enforce no cameras at concerts, etc... - but just like anything else, there's certainly room for abuse.