Apple questions?

Discussion in 'The Bar' started by fenderbaum, Apr 15, 2012.

1. fenderbaum

fenderbaum Active Member

Reputations:
    Apple Gaming questions?

So I have been wondering why Apple has not taken their technological domination into the lucrative gaming market? iPlay, or iGame have been rumors that never surfaced, and sure I know they had a failed attempt with the Pippin back in the day, but they are light years ahead now from where they were in 96. Also, why not venture into home and vehicular entertainment? Apple TV is pretty cool, and I know they are supposed to be releasing an actually flat screen TV with Siri included soon, but what about our cars?

Steve Jobs did not want to stray from the main objective which was computing, and now that they have topped the industry it may be time to diversify?

Last edited: Apr 15, 2012
  2. fenderbaum

fenderbaum Active Member

Reputations:
    I have always hoped that someday Apple acquire SiriusXM and actually make something of it. SiriusXM has done nothing new in years.

3. fenderbaum

fenderbaum Active Member

Reputations:
    I doubt that, I mean just look when Nintendo, or Sony release a new console there is madness. Just imagine if Apple entered this market? The results would be phenomenal.

4. Schmoopy

Schmoopy Shit Mult Hunter

Reputations:
  5. fenderbaum

fenderbaum Active Member

Reputations:
    My friend Dink M brings up a cool point in his Microsoft Sync thread that Apple should consider approaching car manufacturers with an in dash iPad. One that is removable so when they come out with new ones all you need do is pop your new iPad in and bob is your uncle.

Also having internet in your dash is a good thing. Oh the possibilities.

6. fenderbaum

fenderbaum Active Member

Reputations:
    Get back in here Lurch.

How are you pal?

7. fenderbaum

fenderbaum Active Member

Reputations:
    Imagine driving down the road you Apple stereo (iPad?) in the dash, you have a hankering for some Willie Nelson, so since you are subscribed to the new iTunes* you simply tell Siri which song you want to hear, or have her play randomly? How cool would that be? You need movie times you say, but you are cruising down 95 doing 70 and have no time to stop? No problem just ask you car and it can even purchase the tickets for you, send the e-tickets to your iPhone and give you directions to the theater. Once you arrive you scan your barcode on the iPhone, and you are enjoying your film.

* this new Itunes is not yet available, just wishful thinking on my part for now.

8. gwartney

gwartney Unafilliated Gold

Reputations:
    What's the word on an Iphone with 4G? I think I have about 5 months on my current contract.

9. fenderbaum

fenderbaum Active Member

Reputations:
    While the car is in motion only the verbal (Siri) functions would work. Until you jailbroke that rascal that is.

10. fenderbaum

fenderbaum Active Member

Reputations:
    Rumor is October.

11. newcastlefan

newcastlefan גֵּרְשֹׁם VIP

Reputations:
    Apple gets 30% of every game purchase from the appstore, without having to do any development work at all. that is far more than they could make actually developing games.

12. fenderbaum

fenderbaum Active Member

Reputations:
    Agreed. It will be cool, but even in the city where they say the 4G is done, it is not complete. Too many slow downs and reverting to 3G regardless.

13. gwartney

gwartney Unafilliated Gold

Reputations:
    DFW is saturated with 4G. A guy I know has a 4g Droid(not sure which) and I have a 3G DroidX. His is easily 3 times faster than mine.

14. newcastlefan

Reputations:

i have AT&T 3/4G on my iPhone 4s and LTE on my iPad: LTE blows the doors off of 3-4G. I regularly hit 16Mpbs download and a constant 5Mbps upload in the tristate area here.

15. fenderbaum

fenderbaum Active Member

Reputations:
    I wonder where we will be technologically in 10 years? I mean imagine if someone told you 20 years ago that someday you can put your entire music catalog and then some on your phone which is also a computer and a camera? You would have thought them to be crazy.

16. nserafini

nserafini Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    This, plus the fact they would have to break out into a marketplace where MS / Sony / Nintendo already have lucrative and some exclusive rights with 3'rd parties. Developing the HW is easy, lining up software houses to develop new launch titles, and lock in exclusive agreements is not easy.

Watch the Wii U sink when it arrives, btw -

17. newcastlefan

Reputations:
    in 10 years? i bet paper and pencil will be "in" much as analog watches replaced digital.

18. fenderbaum

fenderbaum Active Member

Reputations:
    Good points, but I believe with their reputation for making quality products with easy interface they could capture a sizable market share on name only.

19. tomtom

tomtom Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Apple is smart, they know it would be hard to break into a market that is already dominated. The computing market took them years to grab a foot hold and the only thing that helped that market flourish was the ipod and iphone sparked interest in their products.

That said steve jobs and apple didn't invent many of the products that people think they invented. :facepalm: Howard credits him with too much stuff. A listener tried correcting him on the touch screen precisely and howard cut him off and the phone call ended.

20. fenderbaum

fenderbaum Active Member

Reputations:
    All true, but why stop there? I mean nothing ventured noting gained, but I guess nothing lost either. Even if it fails their gaming division could be kept totally separate from their computing.