Apple TV vs Google TV?

Discussion in 'The Bar' started by Ridic Too2, May 15, 2012.

1. Ridic Too2

Ridic Too2 New Member Banned User

Reputations:
    I am gonna buy one of the 2 this week.

2. gwartney

gwartney Unafilliated Gold

Reputations:
    I'm not sure if Google TV allows you to stream video or audio from your home pc/network. Apple TV does for sure.

3. StrokeBalla

StrokeBalla Member

Reputations:
    I think this is tough to tell. Apple TV is a storefront for renting and buying movies, TV Shows, and music. Apple TV's newest update has Netflix on it too, as do most new TV's and Blu-Ray players. Also, as above, you can stream anything you can play in iTunes on your computer to your TV wirelessly through the Apple TV box. This is good.

Google TV allows you to browse the web, and reportedly to access almost any TV content, like Hulu, through it, and also to integrate your cable box, DVR and live TV if you have them. I haven't heard from anyone yet whether or how well any of this actually works.

I have an Apple TV and I use it for renting and/or streaming pretty frequently. If I have "downloaded" a movie, I'll convert it to Apple format, throw it in iTunes on my computer and stream it if I want. But I also have a Blu-Ray player with Hulu+, Netflix, and Vudu on it, so I can find just about anything I want.

I will probably hold off on Google TV until I hear real-world reports about how great it is. So far, Google has oversold a lot of stuff that hasn't panned out so well, though some has. I think if I didn't have any of this stuff, I would probably think about a brand new Blu-Ray player that has Internet and Apps - these are great.

But please give us a report on the Google TV if you go with that. My arm wouldn't take much twisting to pick up a box if there were even the slightest reason to!

4. DrivenByDemons

DrivenByDemons Spinoff Jesus Staff Member

Reputations:
    I use Windows Media Center and fucking love it.

5. DrivenByDemons

Reputations:
    What do you use to convert your "downloaded" content to something Apple cooperates with?

6. StrokeBalla

StrokeBalla Member

Reputations:
    I use Handbrake, and usually set up any conversions to run overnight in a batch, though it can do many of them pretty quickly. Not sure if iTunes will accommodate any other formats these days, but I don't do it so often any more. To be honest, I'll pay a few bucks to rent most stuff.

7. DrivenByDemons

Reputations:
    I do too, same with music. I just got sick of trans-coding to whatever I needed. Apple shit can be picky so I wondered what you were having luck with.

8. Shine

Shine 2012 rookie of the year VIP

Reputations:
    i have apple tv. i got baseball and netflix through it as well as buying shit on itunes. works well and was only $99. can use it via wifi but i recommend plugging it in directly to router

9. Butch

Butch Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Can you use apple tv to mirror what is on your ipad, like make the tv a bigger monitor? Can i look at pics on the ipad and stream it to the tv? This would be good if you could stream HBOGo from the ipad to the tv. Xbox lets you do that now, but have been curious about apple tv.

10. StrokeBalla

StrokeBalla Member

Reputations:
    Definitely. All of the above. Using Airplay. You need to be sure all your firmware is fairly up to date, but with I think iOS 4.3 and higher and a second or third generation Apple TV it's a piece of cake, even streaming from a third part app on the iDevice. I have a first generation Apple TV in my bedroom, but I will probably throw it out at this point and get another newer one for 99 bucks.

11. Butch

Butch Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Thanks for the reply. I dont really need one for streaming vids. Pc is all tied into home theater set up already. Ipad has become the default pic viewer and would be nice to share with others on the tv.

12. Stjtoday

Stjtoday Active Member

Reputations:
    Google TV cannot access Hulu. Its been blocked by most of the streaming sites.. sucks. You can access paid subscription sites, but other than Youtube there is not much streaming content it can access.

13. StrokeBalla

StrokeBalla Member

Reputations:
    I feared something like that. My Samsung Blu-Ray didn't have a Hulu app for a long time, but it finally came to be with one update. Even so, it is Hulu Plus only. It's all a tricky business with many warriors yet to battle it out.

14. Peau de Soie

Peau de Soie Edit Button? Thanks LaserTilt!

Reputations:
    Because of the ridiculous hide and seek with streaming sites, it always comes back to the fact that the most compatible video player is a PC. Lots of people are building small units for that purpose, but they're usually $200 or more.

15. Daveindiego

Daveindiego Confirmed Internet Legend Gold

Reputations:
    I have an Apple TV, and use it all the time when I am home.

I stream my iTunes library through my stereo, and I can stream the videos too. I use it all the time.

16. Ridic Too2

Ridic Too2 New Member Banned User

Reputations:
    I like the idea that you can integrate a cable box into Google TV. Is that no a feature with Apple TV? I have too many remotes as it is.

I do like that I would be able to view my iPad on my TV with Apple TV.

I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO!!!!!

17. Daveindiego

Daveindiego Confirmed Internet Legend Gold

Reputations:
    There is an app called Remote, it turns your iphone or ipad into a remote to control the Apple TV. Works great.

I don't know nuthin' bout integrating no cable boxes.

18. Crazy Marcus

Crazy Marcus Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    love my apple tv's but it would basically be worthless to me without jailbreaking it and using xbmc. if you just want to stream stuff a roku is a better box.

19. DrivenByDemons

Reputations:
    build a pc, run Windows Media Center, and get one of these for FOUR cable tuners using an M-card from your cable co. I use this setup and it's fucking butta... (but expensive up front)

[​IMG]