Are African-Americans the worse tippers

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by MutteringJohn, May 8, 2015.

1. MutteringJohn

MutteringJohn Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Here is a couple of anecdotes from a Las Vegas cab driver from another message board. It borders on the unbelievable that people could be this cheap.

Been driving for awhile, and it gets quite frustrating when you don't get tipped well (if at all) no matter how good of service you gave them, how fast, courteous, answered any and all questions they had, and had them laughing and gave them a good time.

This happens constantly.

Last night (Monday May 4th), first ride I pick up at the Palms. Im on the nut (first cab in line), and see an AA get in the cab line. I pull up and doorman puts them in. They are going from the Palms to the Paris. So Im asking where they are from, how they are enjoying themselves, if they have any crazy Vegas stories yet. I tell them a couple of my stories before we get there which had them laughing, and they even stated I "was one of the best cab drivers they had so far in Vegas". The fare was a whopping $8.81... So I get out, and open the doors for them. The man hands me two $5 bills. (Thinking I was getting the change of $1.19 as a tip) I say "Thanks, have a good night in there and good luck the rest of your stay in Vegas". Then, the man says "Don't I get any change?" .... Seriously???? So I give him $1 back. He then says "What about the rest of it?".... "I explain to him I don't carry change, change... and none of the other cabs drivers in town carry actually coin change". He got really upset about that and quickly turned and hustled into the Paris.

Tips so far: $0.19

Second ride, I get in line at the Paris. I get up to first in line, and a couple of African-American females are first in line when I get to the front. So doorman puts them in. They are going from Paris to the Stratosphere. So I ask them if they want to jump on the freeway and get there quick, or take the Strip route. They said "The fastest and cheapest". So I jump on the freeway, making small talk, complimenting them on how they look, tell them some of the good food specials near them cause they asked. So I pull up and the fare in $12.90. They then tell me "The other driver charged us almost $18 to get to Paris!" So they were quite happy I got them there a lot cheaper. So the girls are counting money and such, then hand me a $5 and some $1's, which I don't count right away. I open the doors for them, and wish them a good stay. So as they are walking away, I get back into the cab and count it... $13.... a whole $0.10 tip!!!

Tips so far: $0.29

Since I was at the Stratosphere, I jump in line there. After waiting maybe 20 minutes, Im in the front..... low and behold, another African-American couple. Doorman puts them in, and tells me they are going to downtown Fremont. first thing they ask me when I pull off is "How much is this going to cost?" (Automatic red-flag when people ask that, it usually means little or no tip). I explain to them its about $12-14 depending on traffic. They seemed happy with that. So on the way there is the PAWN STARS Gold and Silver Pawn shop. They ask me if it would be all right to stop real quick so they can take a picture in front of the building. I say "Ok, and tell you what, Ill shut off the meter so it doesn't charge you while waiting"... So I pull into the lot, they get out, take a few pics, have someone take a couple of picks of both of them. It didn't take long, maybe a couple of minutes. So they get in, and I restart the meter (not even a thank-you). So I get them to Fremont Street. The fare is $11.56 .... He hands me a $20. I hand him $8 change, and he stands there frozen. After a couple seconds I ask "Is something wrong?", and he says "You didn't give me the correct change"... I say "They fare is $11.56, and I gave you $8 back" I then explain to him about how many rides I do, and if I had to carry change my pockets would be bulging with change, and that no one usually asks for coin change, they usually give it to the drivers and include $1 or 2 for a tip. then he says "I don't believe in tipping, I worked to hard for my money" ... So he then hustles his wife to his side and they waddle down Fremont street. $0.44 even after I told them the sights to see and places to go on Fremont, and even saved them a couple bucks by stopping the meter!!

Tips so far: $0.73

It practically went on like this all night. I did 24 rides total and brought home $27 in tips.... Luckily there are a few conventions in town, and those guys tipped pretty decent.

Ive noticed that African_Americans are the worst tippers in the Taxi Industry, when they tip $1, you get stunned and surprised that they did.

Is this the same for all tipped employed positions? (Waiters/valet/doormen/ect)? All the other races tip fine and usually above average for me.

2. SomerSky

SomerSky Obsessed with what I hate Banned User

Reputations:
    Duh.
    /thread

3. Nibbler

Nibbler heaven is in your mind Gold

Reputations:
    What Somer said.

4. Tipsey Russell

Tipsey Russell VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    people from the south tip better than people from the north
    Europeans are mostly every bit as bad as blacks
    and the French Canadians I've read on some other board are worse than all the rest combined

5. Domo Cup

Domo Cup Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Do you hate Uber?

monsoon and scoobyla like this.
  6. AmishGirl

AmishGirl Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    A co-worker of mine had a friend who drove a cab. Apparently one night some Cowboys got into his cab and said, "You're the man, Andy (or whatever the taxi driver's name was) -- Hookers & Blow!" :giggle:

7. Bentknee

Bentknee Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    There's a reason why they can't get a cab in NYC, and it isn't just the fear of being robbed.

8. chapped

chapped Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    This. ...

9. MutteringJohn

Reputations:
    Come on, how many people ask for coin change back from a taxi ride.

10. Ingens

Ingens VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    What is an "average" cab tip in Vegas?

11. MyLazyHand

MyLazyHand Russia and France Know What to Do

Reputations:
    I waited tables during college and if 1 in 5 black tables tipped you at all, you counted yourself fortunate.

12. Stew Nod

Stew Nod Hello VIP

Reputations:
    worst tippers, complain about everything.....lemme get some extra (insert whatever is free)

13. chapped

chapped Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    White ppl should have picked their own cotton

14. Robert Higgins

Robert Higgins Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Worse than the Jews? That's saying something

[​IMG]

15. Tipsey Russell

Tipsey Russell VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    regardless of color seniors are the worst
    i'm on a pension or some shit then they drive off in a lexus
    fuck those assholes
    greatest generation my ass

this is my obligatory conflict post of the week

16. Nick Manning

Nick Manning Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
  17. MutteringJohn

Reputations:
    This is from Ebony Magazine. It was from the same thread as the cab driver post.

It's no secret that Black people are generally thought to be bad tippers. Actually, "bad tippers" is being kind. If there was a scale listing every demographic from best to worst, we (Blacks) would rate last, and this stereotype seems to transcend class, station, and situation. If personal anecdote is any indication, the stereotype may be rooted in truth. I've witnessed numerous friends, family, and colleagues leave substandard tips when both the food and the service were on point, including the time a friend with a six figure income left a $1 tip on a $70 meal (and this Negro had the nerve to leave a smiley face next to the $1). While that's just one (extreme) example, I'd wager that a quick survey of bartenders, waitresses, and others in the service industry would tell you that behavior is more the norm than the exception.
    So, why are we such bad tippers? I have no concrete answers, but I do have a few theories.
    1. Insufficient education about tipping
    On the basis of the "Blacks are bad tippers" perception actually being true, perhaps this phenomenon is due to us just not being aware of proper tipping etiquette. Admittedly, I wasn't even aware you're supposed to tip bartenders until I was 25 or 26, and I suspect I'm not alone. It's not like there are any courses you can take on when to tip and how much to tip when you do, and it's not like bad tippers get corrected often. I doubt there are many servers out there who'll run out the restaurant and track down the cat who gave them a $4 tip on a $60 meal.
    It's possible that many bad (Black) tippers are just stuck in a cocoon with other bad tippers, completely oblivious to the world of the 20 percenters. What they fail to realize is that tipping isn't an option. It's a social requirement when dining out, and 15% is the baseline for just adequate service. If the service is so bad that you feel a tip wouldn't be appropriate, you need to contact the manager. Plus, many servers make less than $3 an hour, and tips are factored in as part of their income. If they're bringing food to your table, the least you can do is help them put food on theirs.
    2. People seek to confirm beliefs they already hold
    It's very possible that the perception is driving the stereotype, instead of it being the other way around.
    Basically, if I'm aware Black people are thought to be bad tippers, I'm going to be more sensitive to any example of Black people tipping badly---evidence that would confirm thoughts I already had. It's really no different than the person who swears all Black men are dating White women, and takes the three interracial couples they see at the mall as proof---ignoring the 25 Black-on-Black couples they also walked past.
    3. "Bad tipping" = "An opportunity to stick it to the man/feel superior"
    Of the theories presented today, I think this is the least likely to be true. But, it would be disingenuous to ignore the possible racial politics that could be at play here.
    Perhaps there are some Black people who look at tipping as a minor but still tangible way to thumb their noses at the establishment---represented in the form of service people who often happen to be White. Basically, whether it's race or class based (or both), it's an opportunity to assert some sort of dominance and/or receive "payback." The bad tip serves as a culmination of them making the dining experience as stressful as possible for the people unfortunate enough to be waiting on them, the final "Eff you!"
    4. We get less-than-good service because of our tipping rep
    Yes, it's no secret that Black people are thought to be bad tippers. You know what's even less of a secret? For the last, I don't know, 400 or so years, Black people have been on the receiving end of some pretty bad treatment. And, although you can no longer legally discriminate, this bad treatment has extended to restaurants and bars, where we still often get treated differently than our White counterparts.
    What ends up happening is a loop of circular behavior where Blacks have been traditionally discriminated against, Blacks expect to be treated poorly and treat servers with disdain, servers treat Black patrons with less care because they "know" Blacks tip poorly, and Blacks continue to tip poorly because they continue to get substandard service.
    How exactly do we solve this problem? Well, there are no easy answers, but we can start by...wait. Let me stop right there. That's a lie. There is an easy answer:
    If you do go out, tip. If you don't want to tip, stay home.

18. Rip mcdivvit

Rip mcdivvit Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Europeans dont get the tip. I've seen a waitress tell a guy to keep his tip at the airport. It was change on a dollar.

Scarlett Ohara and smichal like this.
  19. MutteringJohn

Reputations:
    This is because in Europe the tip is added onto every restaurant bill. Most people leave a few extra coins if the service was exceptionally good. If you are from Europe coming to the US you naturally assume the gratuity is built into the check.

20. check1

check1 VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    The worst. /