News Are you a digital hoarder? Do You Hate To Delete files?

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by HS Cult Leader, Oct 10, 2015.

1. HS Cult Leader

HS Cult Leader Elite Member Gold

Reputations:
    I'm no whack job like this guy, but I hate to delete movies, photos, and shows after I get a hold of them. So I'm always burning data discs of everything, I clean the files off my drives, but I've endded up with a cabinet with a few thousand data discs on those bulk containers.

[​IMG]

The digital hoarder: Man takes 1,000 photos a DAY and spends 5 hours organising them - foregoing sleep, cleaning and leaving the house

• Unnamed man, 47, hoards pieces of paper, bike parts and digital photos
    • Takes millions of landscapes shots but cannot bear to throw them away
    • He has now begun treatment to delete lesser quality snaps
    • Until now, no scientific papers on digital hoarding have been documented
    By Madlen Davies for MailOnline

Published: 13:06 GMT, 9 October 2015 | Updated: 22:17 GMT, 9 October 2015
    A hoarder with millions of digital photographs spends up to five hours a day organising them, preventing him from sleeping, cleaning his house or going outside.

The 47-year-old man, who is unidentified, takes up to 1,000 digital photographs a day - mainly of landscapes - and becomes extremely distressed at the thought of throwing them away.

He never uses or looks at the pictures, which are saved on his computer and on hard drives, but is convinced they might be of use in the future, say doctors describing his situation in the journal BMJ Case Reports.

The man’s case has prompted the medics to introduce ‘digital hoarding’ as a new type of hoarding disorder.

[​IMG]
    An unidentified man hoards pieces of paper, bike parts and digital photographs. Pictured is the man's living room, published by the medical journal with his permission

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...g-foregoing-sleep-cleaning-leaving-house.html

DIGITAL HOARDING DISORDER: A NEW MENTAL ILLNESS?
    Doctors from the Netherlands believe they have coined a new term for a specific type of hoarding disorder.

Writing in the journal BMJ Case Reports, they presented the case of a man who accumulate and organised thousands of digital pictures.

This caused him distress and impaired his life as if affected his sleep and hygiene.

[​IMG]
    No scientific papers on digital hoarding have been documented up to now, doctors said

Writing in the journal, the doctors said: ‘Digital hoarding is the accumulation of digital files to the point of loss of perspective, which eventually results in stress and disorganisation,’ they wrote in the journal.

‘Although digital hoarding does not interfere with cluttering of living spaces, it has an immense impact on daily life functioning.

‘Although no scientific papers have been published on this subject, the problem is frequently described on the internet by patients and by professionals.’

They continued: 'No university or hospital websites have addressed the problem or offered professional treatment.

'A few clinical psychologists claim treatment in the form of behavioural therapy focusing on distraction by other activities, building on social skills and improving sleep hygiene.

'Technology companies have reacted to the phenomenon by offering tools and software for archiving and filing computer files.

'However, the possibility of saving more files might stop any tendency to actually delete files to gain more overview of data.'

2. MilkyDischarge

MilkyDischarge Se suelto el diablo Gold

Reputations:
    I'm afraid of all the files eroding over time along with the media they're on, from an old floppy to old hard drive. Some day I should get my old computers running and try to drag those old files onto something more robust

Shortwave98 likes this.
  3. DuckDong

DuckDong VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    OP

What the fuck can be that important to have backups numbering 1000s of discs?

I back up pics to the cloud and other than that some tax files the rest I can give two shits about

4. bootyclause

bootyclause Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    things are supposed to be easier with modern technology but I'm amazed at the amount of time and energy it takes to keep track of music and photos now. It's much easier to lose them now too.

AmishGirl, Mike Huntslooce and stash like this.
  5. HS Cult Leader

HS Cult Leader Elite Member Gold

Reputations:

Nothing "important", just shows and hi-def movies. I also collect whole seasons of old TV shows I liked. ect...

6. VarmintSam

VarmintSam Well-Known Member VIP Gold

Reputations:
    When does he plan on watching all those?

7. superstone

superstone Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I'm so pro life I won't even abort a computer file.

Mack29 and joyceface like this.
  8. Shortwave98

Shortwave98 A-Number 1 Banned User

Reputations:
    I've gotten every movie I've rented off Netflix and Red Box stored on hard drives.

9. DuckDong

DuckDong VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Here is the key... if you haven't used it in a year... pitch it.

10. bignosepelican

bignosepelican Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    So sad.

11. SternsEgo

SternsEgo Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Hello no, I gotta sit down and get rid of at least half the music on my playlist. I'm so fuckin thankful to be in the digital age. I got into the cds in my gen. I remember my folks having the cassettes I hated that let alone the shit cds that skipped. The digital MP3 players were a god send, I remember when I was 16 I got one and never looked back. I hated fafa fooey when he went off on his vinyls, it just took up space.

Alisonsbankacct likes this.
  12. EmperorsNewCaps

EmperorsNewCaps Member

Reputations:
    I do, but I prioritize based on liklihood of files existing elsewhere.

Like I have multiple. multiple backups of this radio show I love that was local to Florida and I've never seen anybody else on the friggin' internet ever reference or be aware of, but a season of a show or mainstream music I'll backup once. Maybe twice. Photos wgaf. Unless they're creepshots.

Media is so cheap I kind of don't get why you wouldn't at least save all of it. Desperately need to keep that 30 bucks worth of space clear? I don't get it. You can get 5 terrabytes at CostCo for a hundred bucks now...

13. Joe Bauers

Joe Bauers Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I Tossed all my hard discs.. just threw them all away..

DuckDong likes this.
  14. Goods

Goods Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Have you ever gone back and tried to read those 10 year-old CDRs? :coffee:

15. dadkins

dadkins Active Member

Reputations:
    It usually takes me a year or two to fill up a large hard drive when movies and seasons of TV shows. After about two years, hard drive space has doubled and the price goes down. I usually just upgrade to snigger hard drive and copy everything over and start with a fresh drive. I stream all my music and pictures are stored in cloud backup.

Everyone should run Plex Media Server. It's free and amazing. I stream all of my movies and shows to my Rokus and you can stream from the iPhone app when you're away from home, sync files for offline viewing and invite friends to share your library with. Fuck iTunes.

16. Hal E. Burton

Hal E. Burton Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

17. Getthepoisonout

Getthepoisonout I regret my username

Reputations:
    I tend to keep most of my files but at least I organize them. I have a few portable drives for storage and for important files like family photos, etc. I have them backed up on an external drive that I keep at my office.

18. Dorb

Dorb Lovable Old Pig VIP Gold

Reputations:
    Floppies have a very short life span. Data on a hard drive will last a very long time providing the drive doesnt break.

19. playitagainfred

playitagainfred Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    this guy is Hillary's worst nightmare

20. HowieStearn

HowieStearn HateClub

Reputations:
    saving digital files is stupid.
    This is me at home. thanks
    [​IMG]

Remley likes this.