Are you underpaid?

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by chuk, Dec 29, 2013.

1. chuk

chuk Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Then become a stagehand!

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/28/a...dxnnlx=1388277677-HuQ70oRmiiiiJMw6H/6NYg&_r=0

"Those high costs were underscored by a stagehands walkout that forced the cancellation of this season’s opening night at Carnegie Hall and called attention to the hall’s five full-time stagehands’ total yearly compensation, an average of more than $400,000 each. An examination of tax records, contracts and other documents by The New York Times found that hefty stagehand salaries at many New York nonprofit performance institutions are more widespread than was previously known."

2. datchguy

datchguy New Member Banned User

Reputations:
    I am completely underpaid, but it is what it is.

3. Lou Skunt

Lou Skunt ____________________ Banned User

Reputations:
    Sign me up.

4. StRyDeRxX

StRyDeRxX Bling Bling Gold

Reputations:
    Unions taking advantage once again...

5. FishySausage

FishySausage Original Nuttah VIP Gold

Reputations:
    I am a grip. (basically a stagehand for film and tv) and in a union. All i can say is this figure is ridiculous and unheard of. There is more to this story

But yes, I am underpaid.
    Came across a paycheck stub under my cabinet from 2006 and my hourly wage was 1.50 an hour MORE than the hourly on the project I just finished working on.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2013
  6. newcastlefan

newcastlefan גֵּרְשֹׁם VIP

Reputations:
    The CEO of my employer gets an $8mill bonus this year for not noticing as our european division lost approx $20 billion. Obviously we do not reward or value performance, so of course i am underpaid. (and we are not a union shop)

7. crazypreacher

crazypreacher Hey yo

Reputations:
    Big time.

8. PelicanWig

PelicanWig Beautiful Soup

Reputations:
    Wiggy is underpaid! He has endless meetings and spends countless hours a day in addition to the entire first week of xmas break writing new bits for the show and programming the channels! H100 & H101 are hands down the best programmed stations on the platform! The content is literally side splitting and cutting edge and the constant stream of new and cutting edge programming makes me wonder why the radio even has a tuner function? Why would a listener ever need to listen to anything else besides these two gems??? For Christ sake just pay the man! The sacrifices he has made, i.e. cheating on his wife, destroying his relationship with his 3 daughters, selling a bullshit product to his working class fans, committing stock fraud and marrying a gold digging cunt are priceless!! Thank you Wiggy for staying true to your message about bullshit in the broadcasting industry and the phoniness in the celebrity world! Please Wiggy just take all the money. Take it all! Take my 401k and my nephews college fund. You and the Cunt deserve it all, and more!

9. FCCstandards

FCCstandards Non-Essential Salooner VIP

Reputations:
    If they knew how much work I actually did? Then no

10. newcastlefan

Reputations:
    "At the Metropolitan Opera, that means moving tons of scenery day and night. Their tasks are “extremely complex, extremely high-tech and possibly extremely dangerous,” said Martha S. LoMonaco, a professor of theater at Fairfield University, in Connecticut. “They should not be viewed as the schleppers of the theater industry.”
    Although Local 1 officials declined to comment for this article, a close reading of their newsletter, Spotlite, gives an indication of their goals, priorities and mind-set. "

now i see the difference: they haul complex and high-tech hardware around whereas my industry only works to keep the NYSE, NASDAQ, currency exchanges, and markets in every first world nation on the plant from crashing. Obviously Local 1 worth so much more. Let see: they go on strike, some rich people can't see one performance of Der Fliedermaus. My group goes on strike, and the world economy goes into a tail-spin. Obviously they deserve almost a half-million each.

11. newcastlefan

Reputations:
    i think it's specifically local 1, not all theater unions.

12. FishySausage

FishySausage Original Nuttah VIP Gold

Reputations:
    I realize but I think its still the parent local of IATSE. And they haven't been doing shit to keep my wages up

13. Quite Frankly

Quite Frankly Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Be sure to tip your local sandwich artist.

14. datchguy

datchguy New Member Banned User

Reputations:
    Riley Martin is grossly underpaid, his job is to keep a nuke from exploding over Tel Aviv. :grad:

15. Kool

Kool Well-Known Member

Reputations:
  16. nearly.normal

nearly.normal Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Those 5 they mention are Stage "Mangers", not Stage "Hands" (HUGE difference) at one of the most prestigious concert halls in the world in one of the most expensive cities in the world. That pay is not ridiculous.

17. Rocinante

Rocinante Well-Endowed Member Gold

Reputations:
    Meh, I can grab a bunch of Mexicans to do the same job at 1/10 the cost.

18. fuzzynuts

fuzzynuts 99% Relevant

Reputations:
    My pay varies on the job I do.

I think if a person works hard they get what they deserve or they can move on.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2013
  19. newcastlefan

Reputations:
    400k/annually is outrageous for grips. you can label what they do anything you want, but essentially they are grips and they are pulling down money equivalent to some surgeons. that is totally ridiculous.

20. Fa Fa Fruit Fly

Fa Fa Fruit Fly Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I doubt there is anyone who doesn't think they are underpaid. But in reality, nobody really is underpaid.

If you don't like what your job pays, get a different job. If you agree to work for the pay your employer offers, then you are appropriately paid. I wouldn't work doing surgery for minimum wage, and I doubt anyone else would either. So people who employ surgeons have to pay more to entice those workers.

If you think your pay is low for the job you do - welp, guess what? You just don't have a highly marketable skill set. Sorry.

Unions twist this natural capitalist order of things and we end up with longshoremen making $300k a year, stage dopes making $400k a year, and police making $350k a year. Nothing wrong with those salaries if that's what the free market will pay, but those salaries aren't free market.