Arlington National Cemetery

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by XXXXX, May 25, 2015.

1. XXXXX

XXXXX Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    http://www.arlingtoncemetery.mil/

http://www.arlingtoncemetery.mil/Explore-the-Cemetery/Tomb-of-the-Unknown-Soldier

The Tomb of the Unknown Soldier

Tomb of the Unknown Soldier at Arlington National Cemetery

[​IMG]

The Tomb of the Unknown Soldier at Arlington National Cemetery stands atop a hill overlooking Washington, D.C. On March 4, 1921, Congress approved the burial of an unidentified American soldier from World War I in the plaza of the new Memorial Amphitheater.

The white marble sarcophagus has a flat-faced form and is relieved at the corners and along the sides by neo-classic pilasters, or columns, set into the surface. Sculpted into the east panel which faces Washington, D.C., are three Greek figures representing Peace, Victory, and Valor. The six wreaths, three sculpted on each side, represent the six major campaigns of World War I. Inscribed on the back of the Tomb are the words:

Here rests in honored glory an American soldier known but to God

The Tomb sarcophagus was placed above the grave of the Unknown Soldier of World War I. West of the World War I Unknown are the crypts of unknowns from World War II, Korea and Vietnam. Those three graves are marked with white marble slabs flush with the plaza.

http://www.arlingtoncemetery.mil/Explore-the-Cemetery/Changing-of-the-Guard

The Changing of the Guard

Changing of the Guard Ritual

[​IMG]

The guard is changed every hour on the hour October 1 to March 31 in an elaborate ritual. From April 1 through September 30, there are more than double the opportunities to view the change because another change is added on the half hour and the cemetery closing time moves from 5:00 to 7:00 p.m.

An impeccably uniformed relief commander appears on the plaza to announce the Changing of the Guard. Soon the new sentinel leaves the Quarters and unlocks the bolt of his or her M-14 rifle to signal to the relief commander to start the ceremony. The relief commander walks out to the Tomb and salutes, then faces the spectators and asks them to stand and stay silent during the ceremony.

The relief commander conducts a detailed white-glove inspection of the weapon, checking each part of the rifle once. Then, the relief commander and the relieving sentinel meet the retiring sentinel at the center of the matted path in front of the Tomb. All three salute the Unknown who have been symbolically given the Medal of Honor. Then the relief commander orders the relieved sentinel, "Pass on your orders." The current sentinel commands, "Post and orders, remain as directed." The newly posted sentinel replies, "Orders acknowledged," and steps into position on the black mat. When the relief commander passes by, the new sentinel begins walking at a cadence of 90 steps per minute.

The Tomb Guard marches 21 steps down the black mat behind the Tomb, turns, faces east for 21 seconds, turns and faces north for 21 seconds, then takes 21 steps down the mat and repeats the process. After the turn, the sentinel executes a sharp "shoulder-arms" movement to place the weapon on the shoulder closest to the visitors to signify that the sentinel stands between the Tomb and any possible threat. Twenty-one was chosen because it symbolizes the highest military honor that can be bestowed -- the 21-gun salute.

Last edited: May 25, 2015
  2. wife is a whore

wife is a whore Stripped of POTY for butthurting staff VIP

Reputations:
  3. IfTheyOnlyKnew

IfTheyOnlyKnew VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    :tears:
    :rip:
    :flag:
    :usflag:

4. FCCstandards

FCCstandards Non-Essential Salooner VIP

Reputations:
    I saw the changing of the guard on a high school trip. Fucking awesome. That Lincoln memorial is amazing.

5. Quality Control

Quality Control dove Gold

Reputations:
    Same. I'm planning on being in D.C. for two weeks this summer and I can't wait to go back. I love that place.

6. FCCstandards

FCCstandards Non-Essential Salooner VIP

Reputations:
    I swear they are robots. Just like the the British soldiers that stand outside all day.

7. SouthernListen

SouthernListen I don't follow the crowd. Sorry about that. VIP

Reputations:
    It's a shame the money spent on this can't be used for transgender awareness programs instead.

wife is a whore likes this.
  8. Gusbuss

Gusbuss VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:

Me too. I live a few miles away and never tire of going into DC. Some nights i just hop in the car to see the monuments in the evening when there are less visitors.