Art Bell Sets NEW quitting Record. Quits BEFORE he Starts...

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Rodney21a, Feb 11, 2015.

1. Rodney21a

Rodney21a Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:
    Famous Radio QUITTER art bell as set a new world record for quitting

From Art’s FB page:

I have some very sad news to report, barring some sort of miracle there will be NO Dark Matter Radio show. Here is why: I will be unable to use ANY Bumper music, I will be unable to use any Theme music. The cost of using even the small amount that I use in my show stops us cold. Both Keith and I have talked this to death and there is no way around it.

Yes I could do the show with no music but I will not because it was part of the very soul of my show as any of my former listener’s know. I feel like crying to be honest with you. Keith and me along with others have poured time and money into this effort. I was about to spend $20,000.00 on just the Studio here in Pahrump. We had also cleared free streaming just as I had promised. The ..bottom line is that the music Industry has in my opinion shot themselves in the foot by making it impossible for anybody in my position to stream or provide any copyrighted music on the Web. That is why nobody, even Rush will do it. I am so sorry. If anything changes I will be right back on it. Just sad.

Followup:

It warms my heart for some of you to be saying you do not care but for me it was a major part of the energy for me and I think the listener as well, I picked bumper music like others might pick a fine wine for a special dinner, it was part and I think a major part of the magic.

Followup 2:

Just for the record, I am not quitting, I am just not starting till we can resolve this in some way. I do not want or need anybody’s money. If we can find a way around this we will proceed. I was just trying to keep everybody up to date with the fact that we seemed to hit a brick wall. We are working on it.

2. alittlebitcunty

alittlebitcunty Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    For the record he's not quitting, he's just got to change the music industry first.

3. wife is a whore

wife is a whore Stripped of POTY for butthurting staff VIP

Reputations:
    What a clown. How long was he in radio, and he didn't know he would have to pay for music rights?

4. ScottBaiosPenis

ScottBaiosPenis Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    get some royalty free library music and move on ya fuck

5. drunkmonkey

drunkmonkey Shit Mult Banned User

Reputations:
    didnt he quit that last year?

teehee likes this.
  6. Psyche

Psyche Freethinker

Reputations:
    F'N Art :facepalm:

ScottBaiosPenis and teehee like this.
  7. Psyche

Psyche Freethinker

Reputations:
    That was on Sirius, methinks. Similar deal though. Never really got off the ground.

teehee likes this.
  8. drunkmonkey

drunkmonkey Shit Mult Banned User

Reputations:
    man i love art but fucker is sensitive as fuck , always has a reason to quit like fat artie

9. Rodney21a

Reputations:
    This guy offered art a solution

"Gene WebsterHave you checked into www.streamlicensing.com orwww.soundexchange.com? I know www.gridstream.com which is an online radio stream for an MMORPG is using streamlicensing for their streams"

art responds

"Art BellGene, you might notice it ends in Jan 1015"

others have suggested he use royalty free radio like Phill Hendrie

10. Night Ape

Night Ape Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I've read there wouldn't be a fee to use his normal bumper music during the live stream, but it would need to be removed for the subsequent podcast or he'd get charged for it. Not sure if that's really the way it works.

They were testing the stream on YouTube last night. YouTube are cunts about music rights. I'm thinking that's the main issue.

Art doesn't want to use different music, so he's being stubborn. I'm pissed he left Sirius. Had he stuck with it, his show would have been huge by now instead of pissing away the last two years.

11. Winst

Winst Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:

Spanner likes this.
  12. Winst

Reputations:
    Art's gonna Art.

Art's gonna part.

teehee likes this.
  13. Winston Ono

Winston Ono Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    @ArtienotfatArtiequitter

teehee likes this.
  14. Rodney21a

Reputations:

The Numbers on Playing Commercial Music on Internet Streaming
    Posted on February 11, 2015 in Bumper Music | 581 Views | Leave a response
    The bare facts from Keith:

I’d like to provide you the info on how we determine costs of playing Art’s established commercial music on the Internet and in podcasts.

Since 2007, Internet Radio stations were saddled with having to pay “mechanical fees” like that of CD publishers, that terrestrial radio stations were exempt from for decades. These fees were set by the Copyright board and when enforced caused companies like Pandora to re-visit their business model. Fortunately for them, being large operations, were able to appeal and negotiate lower caps on their usage. (It seems that it’s cheaper to pay 25% of their gross sales instead of the fees, imagine that! So 25% is a deal for them.) But pretty much everyone else in 2015 must currently pay 0.0023 for each playback of a song to a listener. There are no known exemptions for “bumper music” or partial playback.

Leaving ASCAP and BMI aside for the moment, this one license fee is significant. It’s not inconceivable to expect 10,000 listeners to the show each night.

Doing the math, 10,000 listeners x 12 songs a night x 22 days a month is $5566.

The fees from ASCAP and BMI are based on your gross revenues. They want a straight percent off the top of any income from sponsors and subscriptions. (Which is all of our income.) They don’t even care that you only play 5 minutes of music an hour! So depending on how many subscribers we get, these fees go up and down. Not based on plays, but subscriber income. The additional fees added to the above is approximately another $500 per month. (Not counting SESAC yet.)

So now we’re at $6066 / mo for 10,000 listeners.

Think of the paying subscribers as having to pay for all the streaming licensing. So you have to have enough people paying to cover the cost of everyone. If we do not achieve a certain minimum, we cannot cover the costs right away. As the program grows, we must maintain a certain ratio to pay these fees. Let’s be generous and say we can achieve a 25% ratio of paid to free listeners.

2,500 subscribers paying $5/mo yielding us $4.50 net is $11,250.
    Less $6066 for music license alone nets $5184 per month.

That’s not much to pay for 3 full time people. Not to mention all the other costs of running this thing, bandwidth, equipment investments, software, storage costs, etc.

As the show grows, maybe the subscriber base grows and maybe just the free stream listeners will grow. We believe the ratio needs to be closer to 35-40% subscribers to free listeners, to keep this running. Yeah, there is money to be made from those “very few” commercials, but it also raises the license fees. This ratio may be hard to maintain, let alone have enough to start on day one! Payments are made monthly, so we better have the funds ready!

It gets worse!

Now those downloadable podcasts that everyone wants, for those who pay the subscription, gets another license fee to handle “Permanent Digital Downloads.” These are the podcast files that can be downloaded on your MP3 player and played over and over, so the rates are even higher, 9.1 cents per song. Remember also, they don’t understand bumper music either, a song is a song, no matter how much of it. (We may stand corrected, but this seems to be the situation as it stands.) If we were to include 12 bumper music songs in a show we pay 12 times. So for each subscriber:

12 songs x 9.1 cents x 22 shows a month is $24.02.

So, who wants to pay $30 a month? Even if we could get beyond the streaming license costs, we could never have the music in the podcast file. Does that sound appealing to you either?

Bottom Line

In order to pay the outrageous “mechanical rights” license for commercial music playing on the “free to everyone” stream, we must have a certain percentage of the listeners to be paying subscribers. Yes we can offer more incentives to attract more subs. But we won’t really know.

Get this, we would also be responsible to manually log each and every playback of a song, along with the number of people listening at that time, for each of the 12 songs on each of the 22 days on each of the streaming platforms we would appear on and supply that info to each licensing agency. Any volunteers?

At this point who has a crystal ball?

Going forward, if the music industry could understand the talk radio type of user, and establish a different rate structure for limited play bumper music, that would help. If we could operate under some other entity that already pays these fees, that would help, but we’d just be giving them more of our income also.

P.S.

If anyone in authority knows where we went wrong in our understanding of the rates quoted above, please contact me, webmaster@artbell.com we’re hoping there’s a way.

[​IMG]

Randall KnappThis is not The post you should be posting after being presented with solutions.

Lufi RatspeedArt, I think you're forgetting one important thing about early FM stations. They turned their back on established radio by playing independent rock artists. History is repeating itself. Don't bother with mainstream music. I will tell you right now, there are mad amounts of indie bands and musicians who would be dying to have their own original music played merely for recognition and attention to their art. That may be another possibility. Not that I don't like ABBA... just another possible solution. I'm part of a small Steampunk radio station, and that's all we do is stream independent music, and we pay no royalties. They love us for playing their stuff, and we link to their pages so they get exposure. We live in an online community where people respect each other and we play by our own fair rules, independent of the lawyers and bean counters. It's the way to go. Just no more Riders in the Storm is all

Robert Ethan QuillI don't listen to the bumper music. I listen to you Art Bell. I realize "bumper music" is (was) part of your "schtick" but it's a new medium and concessions need to be made. The main thing is to get you and your guest on the air.

Robert ShuttSeems to be a way to back out.I know it means a lot to Art.But I feel its not important to most in the grand picture.Like listed above most starting artist would love to have any airtime given to their music.

Eric MarcumIf this is an attempt to gin up the fan base, I think it will have the opposite effect. You have been supplied with feasible alternatives, so it is time to come clean. I am as big a fan of Art as anyone could be, but I have to say this reeks of a cop out, and I am greatly disappointed.

Steve MillerPersonally I think Art is looking for the easy out here. He has zero intentions on coming out of retirement. Plus he has been out of the game so long I was a listener 20 years ago but I'm very much enjoying George Noorey over at Coast to Coast. I'm not sure Art could pull off a comeback tour. We the fans have offered many solutions to bumber music, but the management team doesn't seem to care.

15. Ipokesmot

Ipokesmot Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:
    Meanwhile.. there's tons of streams not paying any "fees" (Jew gold) on Vaughnlive and Shoutcast and...... ASCAP and BMI can suck a cock. Not to mention torrents.

As for Art... either shit or shut up.

[​IMG]

16. Winst

Reputations:
    I am pretty sure that Art has "quit" before he even started once before....maybe even a few times before.

teehee likes this.
  17. HooHoo

HooHoo Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Botox Barnacle likes this.
  18. MutteringJohn

MutteringJohn Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    How much do local talk radio stations pay to use commercial music for bumpers if they have around 125,000 listeners an hour during drive time.

19. Botox Barnacle

Botox Barnacle Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    This guy is so creepy and suspicious in his own life, going all the way back to how his wife mysteriously dies in his RV while camping in seclusion with him and then him jumping up and suddenly marrying some Filipino girl half-his-age one month later. He's sensitive because at the heart of it, he's paranoid, lazy, and runs away if challenged with anything. And I'm still not sure what the hell he was blabbering about when he said his son allegedly was raped and given AIDS by his own teacher.

Very strange and suspicious man.

smichal, Araxen and teehee like this.
  20. Botox Barnacle

Botox Barnacle Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Yeah, this adds to my suspicions about this man. He fled the country for awhile and lived like Gary Glitter in the Thai/Philippines pedophile wonderlands.

teehee likes this.