Stern Show Article about Wiggy from the Chicago Tribune today

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by BlackDiamond, Dec 16, 2015.

1. BlackDiamond

BlackDiamond Well-Known Member

Reputations:
  2. Mark Mayonnaise

Mark Mayonnaise You look like a tree! VIP

Reputations:
  3. lovetalkradio

lovetalkradio Well-Known Member

Reputations:
  4. Tipsey Russell

Tipsey Russell VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    I had issues here

Tracy likes this.
  5. lilbuddy67

lilbuddy67 A man with breath-taking anger management issues Banned User

Reputations:
    Nice ad for the Trib. I have to subscribe to read that diatribe? F U

6. ElRexican

ElRexican Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    couldn't access it... please post text.

Tracy likes this.
  7. chapped

chapped Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Tracy and lilbuddy67 like this.
  8. Shortwave98

Shortwave98 A-Number 1 Banned User

Reputations:
    I cancelled my subscription to the paper version. I'm not signing up for this.

WHTHS likes this.
  9. chrisfromvegas

chrisfromvegas HOOLIGAN VIP

Reputations:
    The Denver Post did the same thing. No pay, no read.

The numbers fell off a cliff.

You can now read The Denver Post again.

Fillmore Fingers likes this.
  10. BlackDiamond

BlackDiamond Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Sorry guys...I am an old woman and don't know how to make it appear... So I cutted and pasteded...

Howard Stern renews with Sirius XM, but look where he's going.

Today's Howard Stern still might be amused by the Washington, D.C., radio guy who, the morning after 78 died when Air Florida Flight 90 wound up in the icy Potomac River, called the airline to ask the cost of a one-way ticket from National Airport to the 14th Street Bridge.

He's not that guy anymore, however, and hasn't been for some time. Stern, 61, announced on his program Tuesday that he isn't leaving Sirius XM satellite radio, agreeing to a five-year renewal with the subscription service that's been his home for a decade.

"You'll be able to get everything you want in audio and video, and then some," Stern told listeners of his new contract, which includes the rights to Stern's video and audio archives through 2027, although terms weren't announced.

It's a big deal for Sirius to keep Stern, estimated to have been making about $80 million per year and whose departure threatened to cost the company more than $240 million in annual revenue, according to analysis by Bloomberg Business. Between retirement and exploring other potentially lucrative media platforms, Stern had plenty of available destinations.

It would be naive, however, to say Stern is staying exactly where he is.

Because he never has. He never will.

If he's no longer pushing boundaries of taste as often or insistently as he once did — and rest assured his program remains unapologetically priapic, juvenile and potentially off-putting enough at times to never be mistaken for "A Prairie Home Companion" — he is pushing nonetheless.

Is Howard Stern going soft or just getting sharper?

Turns out he doesn't have to make jokes about the Columbine High School shootings, Aunt Jemima or the murder of Latin singer Selena. He can push to get more from himself, his guests and his now-thrice-weekly show.

Citing his recent prime-time stint as a judge on NBC's "America's Got Talent," some believe Stern is more mainstream. In truth, the mainstream caught up with him, yet he remains determined to advance it.

Nowhere is this more evident than in his interviews, always among the most interesting anywhere and only getting better.

Charlie Rose gets people to open up about their work. Stern gets them to open up about almost everything else, from their bedrooms to their wallets.

The windfall of nine-figure Sirius deals has changed Stern's life — including where and how he lives and the people with whom he routinely hangs out — and rare is the Stern guest who isn't asked directly or indirectly about how money has affected his or her life.

It's a topic not often touched elsewhere, although it's something almost everyone thinks about.

Just this week, Tina Fey discussed how she has two full-time baby sitters to help with child care, but simultaneously is concerned that her kids will grow up spoiled.

"I worry that they're going to be like (snotty) Manhattan kids who don't ever want to get a job," Fey told Stern. "Because all they hear me saying is, like, 'I'm so sorry that I have to go to work,' and, 'I hate it,' and 'I wish I didn't have to go.' I'm, like, giving them a reverse work ethic."

Stern's guests have long understood that it's better to not show up for an interview than to try to dodge his questions and stick to the standard promo script. Freed of the constraints of commercial broadcast radio, he's gotten better at easing into delicate territory since coming to Sirius.

Bill Murray, who rarely sits for interviewers, opened up to Stern. Sacha Baron Cohen, who prefers to interact publicly as his bizarre alter egos such as Borat, Ali G and Bruno, played it straight with Stern, whom he cited as an influence.

Even people Stern used to lampoon mercilessly now come into his lair, seemingly letting down their guard. So his show is where Madonna unexpectedly revealed her long-ago relationship with the late rapper Tupac Shakur, and Lady Gaga candidly discussed drug use and sexual abuse.

Stern's conversation with Adam Sandler on Tuesday was typical. As Stern got the comedian to talk a bit about anti-Semitism and being Jewish, Sandler's relatively late discovery of onanism, his relationship with his father, why he's never returned to host "Saturday Night Live" and more.

Who would have guessed Gwyneth Paltrow felt Brad Pitt was too good for her when they dated? Or that Matt Lauer would cop to having had a crush on former "Today" co-host Katie Couric?

Is Stern's show for everyone? Absolutely not. It never aspires to be.

But few shows are all-inclusive in an on-demand world of niche networks and countless programming options, where people pay good money each month for an array of channels while actually caring about only a handful.

Before Stern signed with Sirius a decade ago, it had fewer than 1 million subscribers and was bleeding money. It since has merged with rival XM and expanded its reach to 29 million subscribers, generating more than $1 billion in annual profit.

As much as Sirius XM has grown, it seems Stern has grown more.

philrosenthal@tribpub.com

Twitter @phil_rosenthal

Copyright © 2015, Chicago Tribune

FishySausage likes this.
  11. Rabid Dogman

Rabid Dogman Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    The Prairie Home Companion is more "unapologetically priapic, juvenile and potentially off-putting" than the Stern Show has been in the last 5-10 years.

Penelope likes this.
  12. 1Vegasgirl

1Vegasgirl Well-Known Member VIP Gold

Reputations:
    Sean Hannity congratulated Stern during his show today.

AmishGirl likes this.
  13. RonHeinzkaboot

RonHeinzkaboot Adultophile VIP

Reputations:
    it's the same article as the one in the WP
    Obviously a PR template
    Madonna revealing dating Tupac, that was old news
    him renewing generated a temporary stock bump
    but I didn't see any buzz about it.
    just sucks they sucked the budget for other content and gave it to Stern
    $90 million a year for 12 years and he only has to work for 5
    must be sweet
    does his staff and production. come out of that money? or does he get more money for that?

14. PI Nate

PI Nate Disenfranchised since 1984... Gold

Reputations:
    :winner:

Shortwave98 likes this.
  15. Fillmore Fingers

Fillmore Fingers Sandy Vag Banned User

Reputations:
    Horseshit.

16. MutteringJohn

MutteringJohn Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Did it mention that Howard wanted to SkullFuck Mancow's father or how he wanted his children to die of cancer.

Tracy likes this.
  17. Hal E. Burton

Hal E. Burton Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Buchwald's really earning his pay this week.