Artie got his "Gay Jackie Robinson."

Discussion in 'The Artie Lange Show' started by JesseUzbekistan, Apr 29, 2013.

1. JesseUzbekistan

JesseUzbekistan New Member

Reputations:
  2. ltd86

ltd86 Racist Banned User

Reputations:
    Except Jackie Robinson was a pretty good player. This is a nobody.

Artie's take will be the PC one saying we need more people like him, good for him, brave, etc.

3. Peau de Soie

Peau de Soie Edit Button? Thanks LaserTilt!

Reputations:
    Because he couldn't actually think that? Which part of "being on the ass end of history" escapes you?

I know Artie's thrown around "fags" and lots worse in his time, but I choose to believe his slow "evolution" is genuine and not just pandering.

It is a good thing. How long do you want these people to live in fear, terror, and shame?

Artie was the first person I thought of when I saw the news. :)

4. ilovebacon

ilovebacon Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Artie's like the fat, white Harriet Tubman for gay athletes. Leading them to freedom and whatnot. :c

5. ltd86

ltd86 Racist Banned User

Reputations:
    "Terror" and "shame" - we're being a bit dramatic. TV shows and movies glorify gay characters and there are even entire TV shows (and channels) dedicated to gays.

Anderson Cooper, Ellen DeGeneres, and Neil Patrick Harris, etc. really hurt their careers by coming out..

I don't care what individuals do but it's enough already with the media's obsession and incessant advocacy of this single issue.

Who decides what the ass end of history is? Just because an event or progression of events is taking place doesn't mean it's necessarily right or wrong, correct or incorrect. People who can think for themselves can analyze each situation on their own and not merely try to run along with the herd.

6. Peau de Soie

Reputations:
    This is funny. :)

You can't be fucking serious, can you? These people have lived every day of their lives, privately and in their very public careers, hiding something. Why? Just by chance? Or because they were shamed (if brought up religiously) or fearful of others' bigoted reactions? You don't think they've lived with a "terror" that if they tell the truth their lives will be shattered? Because lately "the gays" are on TV and all over the place that means there should be absolutely no hesitation for ALL the gay professional athletes to just come out already? (Glad we agree then.) Or are you saying they were always simply mistaken, and that there was NEVER any reason for them to be ashamed?

You don't care what individuals do, but you don't want to see it in your face? Guess what, I feel exactly the same way, and seeing gay "PDA" still makes me a little uncomfortable. But I see that as my own failing. I don't take it to mean that they should take everything behind doors, any more than heterosexuals should. The "media obsession" is because we're undergoing a CHANGE, and change is news. The sex and secrecy angles don't hurt I suppose. By the way, "incessant advocacy of this single issue" is an interesting interpretation. I see plenty of other "issues" in media, and hadn't noticed their exclusion.

Who decides what the ass end of history is? The people in the future, duh. But if you can't see a continuum of increased human rights over time I don't know what to tell you. Some of it scares and disturbs me too (not a big fan of the "body modification" trend or "gender reassignment"), but that's okay. Maybe we're old.

By the way, as to "necessarily right or wrong, correct or incorrect", of course you're absolutely right. Even if things (the advance of history) were swinging in a direction where gays or black or Jews or Muslims or women felt scared to admit who they were or unable to advance in society, that would still be wrong. And for all I know the people who want gay people to shut up and for non-Christians to get with the program may have their way in the end. But viewing history as a hopeful arc where things get better and happier for everyone (until we run out of resources and finally kill each other) is kind of a nice conceit.

7. NoddinOff

NoddinOff New Member Banned User

Reputations:
    Why do gays have to shove it down everyones throat is my question, sexual preference and orientation is a private issue gay/straight either way so them having to "hide it" doesnt garner sympathy from me, that shit should be left at home just like my preference for fucking women isnt appropriate conversation out in public/at work either. Truth is I bet like 99% of straight guys could not give 2 shits whether someone is gay or not they are indifferent to it and most likely are annoyed by the incessant "were here were queer get used to it" type attitude, yeah we get it you are allowed to be here just shut the fuck up about it.

8. mattzane227

mattzane227 Active Member

Reputations:
    hahahahaaaaaaaaaaa

9. ltd86

ltd86 Racist Banned User

Reputations:
    NoddinOff- Thank you for saving me the time. I typed out a long thing saying basically the same thing but closed my browser by accident and didn't feel like writing it again. Well said.

10. ltd86

ltd86 Racist Banned User

Reputations:
    Nice! Just saw esera tuaolo is on tonight ... I wonder why. I hope a good part of the show is spent talking about how great this is and hopefully they'll be more people like this brave nobody Collins in the future.

11. Wigster

Wigster Member

Reputations:
    I like Artie too, but holy fuck shut up. :facepalm:

12. Peau de Soie

Reputations:
    Why?

13. Murcielago

Murcielago Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast

Reputations:
    It certainly makes for some very boring and predictable conversation on the show, I skipped over almost all of it.

14. Death Smack

Death Smack Active Member

Reputations:

Homos and atheists. They just can't be happy until they tell everyone about it, at which point they claim they just want to quietly enjoy personal freedom.
    Look at me, look at me, I am a special snowflake

15. Death Smack

Death Smack Active Member

Reputations:
    Same here, I fast forwarded through 90% of the show, this show is getting ridiculous at times and as you stated, very predictable

16. onefourthree

onefourthree Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Straight people don't have to pretend to be some other way every day of their lives in order to prevent being shut out socially and economically by bigots. Gays do. Try for one second to imagine what that would be like. That's all you have to do, is imagine what it would be like to be in their shoes. I don't understand why that's so hard for people.

Did you hear about the nfl coach who was asking college prospects if they were gay ? This is why they hide it. The bigots are the ones who are making a big deal about it in first place. You can't blame the gays for this dynamic that's been imposed upon them.

17. ltd86

ltd86 Racist Banned User

Reputations:
    OK I thought about it. Who has been shut out socially or economically? Can you name one? Have you thought about it or are you just repeating something someone else said? I can name many people who coming out as gay has helped. Every singly media article and report on TV has been portraying Collins as a hero.
    So I'm imagining what it's like for Collins. Two days ago, I'm a washed up scrub who averages 3 points a game who plays for the Wizards and who no one has heard of. Today, I'm a household name known for my "bravery." What a champion.

18. mattzane227

mattzane227 Active Member

Reputations:
  19. Peau de Soie

Reputations:

You didn't. You didn't think what it would be like to be in their lives. You lack the empathy "gene" that has been shown to be missing in some people. That's okay.

Let's take the homos out of it. Can you imagine what it was like for the few black people who "passed as white" through the 19th and 20th centuries? Living every day with a big lie about who they were? Did they do that because they were stupid and society wasN't really against them?

I've met like 2 gay people ever but this seems obvious.

What is possessing gays to remain closeted in your opinion? Were they wrong all along and it was actually fine for them to leave the closet in 1955? Are they just stupid and misreading the landscape, as I think you're implying?

Maybe that landscape is mid-CHANGE.

20. looptax

looptax New Member

Reputations:

That is a seriously ignorant statement. Does Matthew Sheperd not ring a bell? The Stalinist Purge? Or even “Don’t Ask Don’t Tell?” That’s just the tip of the iceberg, “socially.” And “economically,” preventing gay marriage has -- for starters -- resulted in partnered homosexuals not qualifying for health benefits under their loved ones' insurance plans because they aren’t actually considered “married.”

Yeah, a “washed-up scrub” who went to Stanford and who’s made a gazillion dollars as a role-player in the NBA for over a decade. They can’t all be winners like you.

Ignoring the unfortunate choice of words -- sometimes you need to hit fucking morons swith a sledgehammer to get them to open their eyes. Or to at least shut them up. The LGBT community has been disenfranchised by bigots like you since the dawn of time -- so boo hoo & poor you if you have to listen to them defend their rights as human beings once in a blue moon.