artie>jackie

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by jdwhatever, Apr 17, 2013.

1. jdwhatever

jdwhatever Fesh Gold

Reputations:
    easily

jackie was rarely funny, except for his laugh (which half the time was a drop fred was playing), and never really seemed to "get the joke"

artie made the show the best it ever was, and was mad hillary

2. jdwhatever

jdwhatever Fesh Gold

Reputations:
    splashwut

3. AGT Blows

AGT Blows Well-Known Member

Reputations:
  4. Anfkid

Anfkid Blue Banner Mafia Staff Member

Reputations:
    jackie wasn't funny. howard making fun of jackie and telling his fucked up life stories was.

i guess he was a funny writer. the show was great back then but to speak up and say something funny? no. artie every time.... until he turned into a drug snorting sloth slob

5. jdwhatever

jdwhatever Fesh Gold

Reputations:
    my exact feelings, although I question if he really was all that great of a writer

i think howard uses "writers" as crutches, I doubt benjys or jackies thoughts add that much to the show, I rarely laugh out loud at what he says, which kinda proves it to me

6. NotMyBro

NotMyBro VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    What a flawed comparison: Artie was an in-studio personality, Jackie was a writer.

7. jdwhatever

jdwhatever Fesh Gold

Reputations:
    jackie was an on air personality too, if you don't think he was, you didn't listen to those shows

his mic was almost always on, artie started out as a "writer" and I think he realized it was a ridiculous idea, so he told howard it wouldn't work, and howard told him he didn't need to "write" for the show (artie just said this on his show when jackie visisted)

jackie was much more of a personality than a writer, he just sucked at both jobs

8. SouthernListen

SouthernListen I don't follow the crowd. Sorry about that. VIP

Reputations:
    Jackie's joke's are not the funny part. His mentality for various skits and contests, ball-busting, and keeping Howard, Robin, and Fred grounded was his role. Artie was a "fan" and when sober he knew his continued employment was predicated on not crossing the major players. Totally different dynamic. Unfortunately it came off as bullying the little people working there with ball-busting while mostly avoiding those with the real power.

9. NotMyBro

Reputations:
    Definitely NOT to the level that Artie was. Jackie's main job was to feed Howard (and the rest of the people) lines. Artie did that for like few days and wasn’t good at it and was moved to a personality.

It's really not a valid comparison. Want a valid one? Compare Jackie to Benjy! They hold the same job.

10. SouthernListen

SouthernListen I don't follow the crowd. Sorry about that. VIP

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

11. Herc

Herc New Member

Reputations:
    Jackie was the "Head Writer". He wrote all the Bits, Jokes, Stuttering John Questions, Billy West Dialogue, Etc. Etc. Etc.

Everything that made the show legendary in it's "Glory Days". The show took went from sugar to shit after he left. End Of Story.

He was the only "True Writer" Stern ever employed. The entire back office with Fred in charge (Who's useless by the way) couldn't equal Jackie in terms of talent.

12. jdwhatever

jdwhatever Fesh Gold

Reputations:
    haaaarible comparison

benjys mic is almost never on, sometimes he goes multiple days without even speaking on the show, jackie was an in studio on air personality daily

benjy is there to punch up howards dull thoughts and be made fun of every so often

13. NotMyBro

Reputations:
    Well, they do the same job! It's just that Benjy fucking sucks at conversing so Howard has him less on mic.

Comparing Artie to Jackie is just stupid. Artie hasn't written shit for the show.

14. jdwhatever

jdwhatever Fesh Gold

Reputations:

bits were always the worst part of that show, bits are the worst part of any radio show

15. jdwhatever

jdwhatever Fesh Gold

Reputations:
    they don't do the same job

like i said jackie was on mic constantly, he was a main personality on that show

16. Herc

Herc New Member

Reputations:
    Please. The bits back in the day were great. Your just trying to diminish Jackie's contributions as Howard does now. Howard Revisionist Bullshit.

17. NotMyBro

Reputations:
    THEY DO! Do you even know when Banjy was hired and what Jackie's response to that was? I guess you don't.

18. jdwhatever

jdwhatever Fesh Gold

Reputations:
    i'm "trying"

it's my opinion, and i found the shows bits back in the day to be most corny

19. NotMyBro

Reputations:
    Artie's just a mean junkie comic who liked to put everyone down and told his crazy, drugs-induced, stories. That was his schtick.

20. Herc

Herc New Member

Reputations:

If you think the "Artie" years were better than the "Jackie" years. You need to listen to the unedited Master Tapes. Because any true fan knows the 90's under Jackie's comedy styling were the best years Stern ever had.