"Artie Lange Bounces Back"

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by RobinsLapBand, Aug 23, 2012.

1. RobinsLapBand

RobinsLapBand Member

Reputations:
    http://www.atlanticcityweekly.com/arts-and-entertainment/features/artie-Lange-interview-Bounces-Back-book-167083505.html
    Artie Lange is a train wreck and that’s just one reason to catch the unpredictable comic/radio personality.

The mercurial Lange is a politically incorrect wise guy, who has been as sarcastic as he has been high over his long, strange but amusing journey.

The observational humorist is unlike most contemporary entertainers. He walks a high wire on and off stage.

Like a slugger, Lange has had big hits and misses while performing under the lights and joking on the Howard Stern Show for nearly a decade. Lange is big on taking risks, some of which have paid off royally and others, well, those are best put behind him.

“That’s the way it should be,†Lange says while calling from his Hoboken apartment. “Nobody takes chances anymore. It’s not fun. Nothing is cool anymore. Country music ain’t cool. If Waylon Jennings and Johnny Cash were around, they would be sick. You look at what’s happening in rock music and I just wish Jimi Hendrix would return from the grave and punch everyone in the face.â€

The former Mad TV cast member lives like rockers from a generation ago. He lives hard but he can still tell the tale, barely. In 2010 he tried to commit suicide and landed in a psychiatric ward for eight months.

“I was in a dark hole for a long time,†Lange says. “It was horrible and I’m lucky to be alive.†

The experience prompted Crash and Burn, a book, which will hit shelves in October. The project chronicles Lange’s near death experience and comeback.

“I hit bottom and it was hell for a long time,†Lange says. “I look at the last three years and I’m just happy to be here.â€

Crash and Burn is the follow-up to Too Fat to Fish, which entered the New York Times best-seller list at No. 1 in 2008.

Lange has made the most off of his appetite for self destruction.

“I’m having fun with it,†Lange says. “My fans are having fun with it. No matter what, I’m still me.â€

The irreverent Lange, who will perform Saturday, Aug. 25, at the Borgata, has been dealing with demons that have almost taken him away but he has never lost his black humor and ability to shock behind the microphone.

“Last month, I was sickened when I saw Justin Bieber on the cover of Rolling Stone,†Lange says. “It said ‘Justin Bieber, hot, ready, legal.’ I had the urge to help Jerry Sandusky break out of jail so he could spend some time with Bieber. C’mon, it’s ridiculous who Rolling Stone puts on the cover these days.â€

Lange is content to deliver stand-up and co-host the Nick and Artie Show with comic Nick DiPaolo, which airs on SiriusXM and is syndicated by Premiere Radio Networks.

“I’m having a great time with Nick,†Lange says. “We talk about whatever we feel like, which is like the show I do on the road. It beats what my dad did [toiled as a general contractor]. I have no complaints and I’m just thrilled to still be alive.â€

New Jersey has helped shape the comedic sense of the former longshoreman at Port Newark. Lange is a quintessential Garden Stater. He grew up in Newark, has a place in Toms River and enjoys coming to Atlantic City. 

“New Jersey has had a huge effect on me,†Lange says. “I’m Jersey through-and-through. Growing up in New Jersey when I did just gave me a natural edge. It gave me that sarcasm, which I’ve used as a comic. You’re a certain way if you live in New Jersey. I played a million clubs in New Jersey. I played Rascals, Bananas and all of these odd rooms like [the ones] part of T.G.I. Fridays. I think there is something about working your way up in New Jersey. There’s no place like it. I love it here, whether I’m in North Jersey or down in Atlantic City. I have such a good time in Atlantic City. I’ve been going down there for a long time and the fans, whether they’re from New Jersey, New York or Philadelphia, they’ve been very supportive.â€

Lange believes the pain he has experienced over the years has helped him become a better artist. 

“I think dark things help most people become better performers,†Lange says. “Look at the Rolling Stones and where they were when they were doing Chuck Berry covers and all the hell they went through that inspired [the documentary film] Gimme Shelter.â€

Lange will always praise Stern for helping his career reach another level. “I had a great time on his show and I can’t thank him enough,†Lange says. “After things happened [his suicide attempt], Howard just wanted to make sure I was OK.â€

Stern thought it was time for the two to part company professionally, largely for Lange’s own good.

“Howard didn’t think those morning hours and that atmosphere was good for me and he was right,†Lange said. “He has been really supportive and I’m back doing what I do, which is stand-up an I’m on the radio again. I’m a survivor.â€

Artie Lange 

Where: Borgata Music Box, A.C.

When: Saturday, Aug. 25, 9pm

How Much: Tickets $55 and $65. 

Lange: Glad to be alive

2. CAPTAIN KIRK

CAPTAIN KIRK New Member

Reputations:
    Hmm...AC this Saturday...:cig:

3. FCCstandards

FCCstandards Non-Essential Salooner VIP

Reputations:
    Nick and Artie are on Siriusxm?

4. RobinsLapBand

RobinsLapBand Member

Reputations:
    Yes, but I have no clue what channel or start time.

5. RobinsLapBand

RobinsLapBand Member

Reputations:
    Artie is spot on about Rolling Stone putting Justin Bieber on the cover. What a joke and shows how far RS slipped.

6. Snotty

Snotty My Snothand be strong!!! VIP Gold

Reputations:
    Channel 94 Sirius.....10P-1A Eastern

7. FCCstandards

Reputations:
    The smaller size sucks Bieber's asshole as well

8. shabadoo25

shabadoo25 Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    XM only. Channel 165, Extreme Talk. 10p-1am.

9. FCCstandards

Reputations:
    Nice of Howard to promote it. What a douche

10. Snotty

Reputations:
    Oh I forgot......MONDAY THROUGH FRIDAY!!!!!!!

11. FCCstandards

Reputations:
    I guess it's two companies not one.

12. Kamie

Kamie Active Member

Reputations:
    Ok, so HOWARD actually fired Artie? That is not really the story Howard and Sirius have been telling. I always thought that management​ fired Artie. Hmmmm....I also don't think that Artie is glad to be alive. Sad.

13. RobinsLapBand

RobinsLapBand Member

Reputations:
    I wonder why Howard NEVER supports anyone who left the show. Kind of sad.

14. Snotty

Reputations:
    Been on since Oct-'11 You can get the podcasts for free...And they have no commercials.....The show with Danny Aiello I know made Hamptons CRAZY!!!! Made you proud to be a Hetero sexual booze guzzling eat what you want man!!!!!

15. RobinsLapBand

RobinsLapBand Member

Reputations:
    From what I see and read Artie is going to self-destruct once again.

16. Snotty

Reputations:
    His "Mommy" Made him what he is........

17. Kamie

Kamie Active Member

Reputations:
    Schadenfreude. I don't think Howard is truly happy for anyone else's success apart from the show. When he was saying how happy he was for Kimmel yesterday, I didn't believe a word of it. I could almost hear him thinking "that should have been me".

18. Snotty

Reputations:
    No, No, No......Sirius also........Ch 94....Same time....EST

19. R.P. McMurphy

R.P. McMurphy Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    " You look at what’s happening in rock music and I just wish Jimi Hendrix would return from the grave and punch everyone in the face.”

...lmao! back to reading....

20. RobinsLapBand

RobinsLapBand Member

Reputations:
    Thanks for clarifying. I'll give the show a try and see how it is. Does anyone here listen to it? If so, how is it??