Artie Lange vs. Jackie the Jokeman

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by BostonNick, May 6, 2015.

?

The Chair

1. Artie

40.6%
  2. Jackie

59.4%
  1. BostonNick

BostonNick Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I don't think we've done this one in awhile so I'm just curious. Which one did a better job on the show and who was more talented?

I have my problems with both but I think Artie was funnier and made the show bearable as Howard started to turn into the strange celeb ass kisser/bore that he now is.

Jackie on the other hand probably wrote anything Howard said that was funny...Fred did as well, I know.

I'm going Artie for the mere fact he was always real and his stories (that are now way over done) were awesome

RONNIE THE CLAW and inlimbo76 like this.
  2. johnfreeman1

johnfreeman1 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Only time Jackie was really funny, was when they were goofing on him

hoochieking, MobyDick, Jayla and 7 others like this.
  3. Tipsey Russell

Tipsey Russell VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    I could go either way I suppose
    I'm indecisive

but all I know is that the show was 100 times better when either of them were on it than it has been with neither

4. BostonNick

Reputations:
    This is so true

fixer, Scarlett Ohara and Mulletude like this.
  5. MorningSong13

MorningSong13 Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    That's just simply not true. We don't know how funny Jackie was because he would feed a lot of his lines to Stern. Stern was undoubtedly funnier in the Jackie era.

6. Bri7

Bri7 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Artie was a great story teller, and it was fun to have him in the studio

Jackie, it was fun to hear the crew goofing on him all the time, I think I had more fun with the Jackie era.

7. I invented that

I invented that VIP Extreme Gold POTY Politics

Reputations:
    imo, the show was funnier when jackie was on so i vote for jackie.

8. sstressed

sstressed enhancement toker VIP

Reputations:
    they were both good in their way. artie was so quick he always made me laugh. with jackie, it was the fights and shitting on others that made him a stand out to me.

listened to every show since 1995. recorded every show since 1996 (until a year or so ago) and listened to nothing but the show on my ipod for years.

i miss the fun show. :nocheer:

kingship and wife is a whore like this.
  9. vaporizer

vaporizer Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Regardless of who you like, Stern in 2015 is obviously missing something and that's a really strong comedy writer. Benjy ain't shit. Sal and Richard are far fucking worse than him.

I liked Artie, but I'll always compare him to Ron Wood in the Stones where Jackie was Mick Taylor. I chose Jackie. Howard fed us lines that were amazing in his voice and we thought he was quick and funny, but astute listeners knew who was giving him those ideas. When Jackie packed up and left, the show took a big hit, still missing Jackie even when Artie was around.

My opinion of Artie went dramatically downhill as he was getting deeper and deeper into his addiction, calling-in to miss work "hey gar...", and falling asleep on the air. I mean, who the fuck does that? Addicts, right? And Howard kinda let it roll because I think he thought in a way it was kinda funny. It wasn't all that funny to me because I was paying to hear someone sleep on the air when they're supposed to be working.

More egregious - sleeping on the job or walking out on your co-workers because you're not getting paid what you want even though you've stated many times you're a team, the "comedy Beatles"? Still not so sure.

I guess I just liked Jackie's energy. And Fred had a lot to do with that with the drops of Jackie laughter during the news. Jackie it is.

10. reno

reno VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    I picked the Joke Man. Anyone but Benjy.

11. Robert Higgins

Robert Higgins Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Jackie apology > Artie bank robbery story

12. Richard Tucker

Richard Tucker Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Artie always struck me as trying too hard, until he quit trying altogether.

The best yesrs of the show were with Jackie Marlow (which is not open to debate). Those years also had Billy West, Stuttering John, Grillo, KC, but Jackie was a major part of what made it great.

Jokeman is the clearcut winner. They both suck at stand-up though...

13. Ta Ta Toothy

Ta Ta Toothy Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Not even a close contest.

Jackie all the way. I liked Artie personally, but he never made me laugh. Not once. The Artie era was the beginning of when I slowly started to listen less and less (and that was when the show was still listenable). Jackie added many dimensions to the show. Not just the funny lines spoon fed to Howard (falsely making him seem witty), but his personal life which added endless content to the show. Plus, has there ever been a funnier laugh track on any show than Jackie's laugh? I think not.

14. BostonNick

Reputations:
    Its such a weird thing because you guys are right "in a sense" Howard was actually funny due to the Jackie lines...However if Jackie is so funny when writing lines then why is he so corny on his own??

RONNIE THE CLAW likes this.
  15. DogStar69

DogStar69 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Artie is more talented. He's had a showbiz career before and after Howard.

Jackie is doing shows at Denny's.

Jackie was with the show on it's way up
    Artie was with the show on it's way down

Both contributed a lot to the show. Both are responsible for leaving the show.

RONNIE THE CLAW, Frank and BostonNick like this.
  16. Tinman

Tinman Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Look up the word catalyst, that's why Jackie made everyone in that studio a better performer.
    :hat:

17. RottenPlumHands

RottenPlumHands Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Jackie's laughing in the background during enhanced so many segments. I like Artie, but Jackie was an essential part of most of "the" moments of the Stern Show. Gary's tape, Robin's book, laughing during horrible news stories, etc.

18. Head Censor

Head Censor Turgid Member VIP

Reputations:
    I think by any objective standard, you would have to agree that Artie was the more talented comedian. While both Jackie and Artie were able to harness the power of the Stern Show to help promote their stand-up appearances, Artie had the talent to parlay that into selling out the Borgata and other multi-thousand seat venues all over the country. Jackie, on the other hand, even at the height of his popularity, never got much beyond doing gigs at the local Chuckle Hut or making the rounds of the volunteer firehouse tour, a la Bob Levy.

As well, we have to take into consideration the fact that Artie worked in a somewhat more challenging environment than Jackie. Although it's true that Artie benefitted from the much looser speech restrictions during his satellite years, it's also the case that he had to endure the horrible period as Wiggy went through his transformation from cutting edge shock jock to a pussy whipped, plastic surgery obsessed, evolved, beautiful soup eating, uber-PC, rainbow warrior, starfucking, kitty wrangling, Gong Show host. It became more and more difficult for Artie's blue collar comedy sensibility to shine through in this make believe and highly cynical world of Wiggy's celebutard faux activism.

Also, and perhaps even more importantly, Artie had the unfortunate duty of presiding over the era in which Robin made her transition on the show from heifer cow to sacred cow - yet another consequence of the pussification of Wiggy. Much of the funny that Jackie brought to the table came at Blobbin's expense - a wellspring of comedy that was largely denied to Artie.

You could also make the case looking at their respective careers post HSS, that Artie's radio show in its various formats, even with all its flaws, is/was infinitely more entertaining than sitting through an hour of Jackie's Joke Hunt. I really feel that the schlocky, campy humor contained within the Joke Hunt and the Jokemaster Jr. reveal the true essence of Jackie's comedy.

And last, but not least, we have to be willing to allow for the possibility that our impressions of Artie today are unduly influenced by his final disastrous year on THSS. Not even Artie fans liked what he became as he descended further into the depths of his heroin addiction. Jackie, on the other hand, has had many years pass since his last HSS and we know how our memories tend to filter out the bad and hold onto the good. In my humble estimation, the HSS peaked in the early Artie years.

19. ScottBaiosPenis

ScottBaiosPenis Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    jackie wrote some of the funniest lines ever, and he was so quick it was scary

idk why he is so weird when he is "on mic" for some reason he cant do for himself what he did for stern. i just dont get that. plus i dont think a bigger ball buster has ever lived.

20. Captain

Captain Alto, Blanco y Guapo Gold

Reputations:
    Jackie and Billie were the much-needed antidote to the Cult of Howard. Jackie clearly thought he was as big as Howard, and his jealousy for not being so recognized was a great dynamic for the show. He was hardly a "yes man" to Howard and his "yuck-yuck" brand of humor was so fucking bad it was actually good on the show, because his stupid one-liners would become the fodder for some great retorts. Same with Billy. Billy was doing old school improv and voice work. It was not "funny" on its own, but it worked real well on the show (think Jackie puppet, which is one of the best bits for comedy . . . ever). Billy knew his value, and moved on when Howard didn't back him in those negotiations back in October 1994 or 1995 (cant remember exactly).

Artie was a good guy, and a great conversationalist when he wasn't all doped up. But he didn't have the hunger and muted animosity that Billy and Jackie had.