Stern Show Artie Lange

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by bennymuso, Aug 22, 2016.

1. bennymuso

bennymuso Italian by name, British by nature

Reputations:
    What do you think of him?

2. Phuck Yoo

Phuck Yoo Active Member

Reputations:
    Artie Fartie.

3. Donkey Patrol

Donkey Patrol The Mouthy One Gold

Reputations:
    He was excellent on the show, for a while

He had some really dark eras as well

When he was interrupting with unfunny shit for awhile, that was tough to take

The show is in need for someone funny in that studio

4. beetlejosh

beetlejosh I got a head that's large Gold

Reputations:
  5. VarmintSam

VarmintSam Well-Known Member VIP Gold

Reputations:
    Keeps landing great gigs but eventually self destructs. :oops:

6. Hamster

Hamster Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I was a fan. Stopped listening to the show when he did not come back.

Read both books.

Rooted for him to succeed on Direct TV.

Followed him on Twitter.

Tried the podcast for 3 months.

Then just finally quit it all. Just had to move on.

7. June DeMay

June DeMay Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Me, too except for the twitter thing.

Artie had the corrupt cop from the documentary about the 75th Precinct on the show and abruptly left the condo to have lunch with him, leaving Falato hemming and hawing trying to explain where Artie went and carrying out the rest of the podcast. It was so disrespectful to his paying audience. It wasn't as if they couldn't stop recording and start back up when Artie return - he just threw that shit out there. I stopped rooting for him then. I still listened for a while but I noticed the same attitude becoming more frequent until all his "comedian" friends abandoned his show and then I bailed.

wowowo, Gunt, yaddc and 1 other person like this.
  8. bootyclause

bootyclause Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    He was funniest as fatter Artie but pre-"major drug problem" Artie. Like the first few years at Sirius. I never liked his standup that much.

The last year or two with Stern was bad to me. I remember getting kicked off the SFN because I was arguing with people who said he was clean and I was some kind of "hater". Can't remember the context of getting kicked off, they were dicks over there. Basically Artie was slurring his speech, nodding off and then viciously attacking anyone within arm's length. That Artie era kind of ruined the Stern show.

9. bootyclause

bootyclause Well-Known Member

Reputations:

Yeah, his attitude is terrible. He comes across as just lazy or feeling sorry for himself. Howard has become that way also, complaining about waking up early and hard work, etc.

Phuck Yoo, anon998 and Gusbuss like this.
  10. RaeRae

RaeRae VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Very funny with ad libs and one liners. Mediocre stand up comic and shitty actor.

11. FATS NAVARRO

FATS NAVARRO Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Interesting radio, interesting PODCASTING!

12. hugh jasol

hugh jasol white trash on dope Gold

Reputations:
    His hosting gig on the Nasty Show on Showtime was, unfortunately, painfully unfunny. Perhaps it was because he seemed sober and was trying too hard.

themo5555 likes this.
  13. oldpaddy

oldpaddy Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I pay for his podcast.

14. TheHighHat

TheHighHat Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    All of his comedian friends didn't abandon him. There are only three people that I can think of that don't do the show anymore, and they all stink: Geno Bisconte, Chris Cotton, and Sue Costello. Whether they abandoned him or he abandoned them, I don't know, but it was definitely an "addition by subtraction" thing.

Oh, and Ryan Reiss and Alli Breen aren't on anymore, but I think that's just because of Artie's erratic schedule. Artie's been doing a lot of midnight/into the wee hours episodes. Sometimes, Dave Juscow does them with him. Juscow is a major improvement over Bisconte, Cotton, and obviously the completely dreadful Costello.

Unfortunately, Joe Matarese is still on the podcast from time to time. Also unfortunately, Artie just spent about 45 minutes on the phone with Richard Lewis.

Every once in a while, Artie does an episode with Dave Attell, Russ Meneve, and Dave Juscow. Those episodes are always great. He made the last one (which he did two Mondays ago) free, and it's funny as hell. Attell has at least a half-dozen killer lines in the episode.

http://radiomisfits.com/aqp11/

If Artie could do an episode like this once a week, he'd be on the top of the heap. But he's a junkie fuck-up that's put himself and his podcast on his drugs timetable.

That
    's the problem.

Targzissian likes this.
  15. June DeMay

June DeMay Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    You're right, of course. I mistated my point. I meant that when his 3 rate comedian friends who donated their time for free everyday (Artie did learn something from Howard after all) stopped coming in is the time I bailed on the show. If some of them came back, I wouldn't know.

Tangentially, it irked me when that unfunny fat black comedian who used to come up from Philly every day finally saw the light and stopped coming in he was ridiculed. I thought, "Hey, Artie, pay the man for being a regular on your show and maybe he'll show up."

16. gwartney

gwartney Unafilliated Gold

Reputations:
    I pretty much gave up on him the 50th time I heard the cocaine in the pig outfit story. I still like him and wish him well but i don't get all fired up when he's a guest on a tv show anymore. I have a great picture of him and my daughter at one of his shows.

Jozebelle and BobbyDigital like this.
  17. TheHighHat

TheHighHat Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    But if he's unfunny, why pay him?

Also, there was a "finding God" element to Chris' exit. Artie talked about it on the podcast.

And Chris didn't come up from Philly every day, and he didn't come up just for the podcast; he shares, or shared, a shitty apartment somewhere in the city.

I think the idea is: you stick around Artie's world, you're going to eventually get something. Dave Juscow is actually in the new Apatow show "Crashing" because of doing Artie's podcast. Artie did a "Mad TV" anniversary sketch and had a couple of the guys in it, which got them paid.

Artie's also generous with his opening acts.

And while it wasn't a steady paying gig, I'm sure Artie "soft touch" Lange slipped Chris some cash here and there. Chris is a bottom-of-the-barrel brother. A $20 bill would have meant something to him, and I'm sure Artie kicked him a few from time to time.

More than anything, I think those original z-listers thought being regulars on Artie's podcast would turn into/lead to something, and it didn't. But that's not on Artie; that's on their delusions and lack of talent.

I don't know if you caught Chris' last appearance on the podcast, but it was a real meltdown. He took this incredibly bizarre angle kind of trying to defend Bill Cosby, and it just blew up the room. And that was coming off the heels of Geno melting down earlier, when Artie busted his balls because another comedian on the podcast, Ryan Reiss, made one of Geno's jokes better. Geno just flipped the fuck out.

I don't think Chris has been on since that episode, and I think Geno was on only once or twice after that. It was a real psychological bloodbath, albeit on an extremely retarded level. And what went down in that episode had nothing to do with money.

Thank you for saying you mistated your point, by the way. So many people, especially those of a certain genre, wouldn't do that; they'd just go on the attack.

Targzissian likes this.
  18. HowieHasBeen

HowieHasBeen VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    He's a fucking slob.

19. Ta Ta Toothy

Ta Ta Toothy Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Honestly? I never think of him.

The guy was never funny.

I might laugh when he OD's though.

20. MobyDick

MobyDick Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    He's two push-ups away from a young Mark Hamill.

DinnerSocks likes this.