Stern Show Artie making a crack about Howard not letting him go to rehab

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by killallposers, May 11, 2016.

1. killallposers

killallposers VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    I'm listening to Eric the Midget comps on the youtube. I'm on #6 and it's his visit to the studio. Man, this show used to be fucking entertaining. It's sad listening back knowing how everything ended up. Why does all the good stuff have to go to shit?

Anyway, Kurt Engel was in and Howard asked him about Vince. Kurt said he broke ties with Vince after he wouldn't let him go to rehab for a painkiller addiction (which he got from wrestling injuries). Howard said that wasn't right. Long after this subject was dead and they were wrapping up and saying goodbye to everyone, Artie jumps in and says he and Kurt have something in common, they both have bosses who won't let them go to rehab.

Do you think that joke was written for Artie or did he throw it out on his own? Howard played into the joke, but sounded to me like he didn't know it was coming.

If someone can find a youtube link to this appearance, please post it. I can't find one and the comp I'm listening to is no longer up on youtube.

2. DrSublux

DrSublux Who am dis VIP

Reputations:
    Let me get right on that and a single fuck was given

3. DiamondGoddess

DiamondGoddess Born Ready for My Close-Up! Gold

Reputations:
    Hmmmm...I think this is really interesting!!!

Artie would definitely drop lil bits o truth like that.

Junkie Artie was funnier?

4. Fillmore Fingers

Fillmore Fingers Sandy Vag Banned User

Reputations:
    He had no interest or desire to go into rehab--but he also knew that Howard would not let him keep his job if he was off at an intense rehab for 3 months.

5. killallposers

Reputations:
    I have no doubts Artie wasn't really interested in getting clean and wouldn't have taken rehab seriously, but he may've brought up going if pushed by his family. I'm just wondering if Artie was referencing an actual occurrence where he brought up going to rehab and Howard said no or talked him out of it.

6. Fillmore Fingers

Reputations:
    Of all the clips in my arsenal--which is considerable--there's not even the slightest mention of the Wig "convincing" him he doesn't need rehab. Much as I would KILL to have that on record, I don't think it ever happened. Casual indifference to Artie's drug problem is the extent of the Wig's concern then or now.

7. killallposers

Reputations:
    I meant off-air as well. It just struck me as an odd comment, like there was something behind it.

8. Rockside7

Rockside7 VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:

It may not have been discussed on the air so, you wouldn't have a clip of it but, I can almost see it occurring.

I can see Howard using subtle threats that if he left for either rehab or, another work opportunity, his job wouldn't be waiting for him when he got back.

9. DiamondGoddess

Reputations:
    Definitely could go either way.

It was either an Artie truth bomb,

or was his self-deprecating humor, pointing out how he wouldn't go to rehab.

Is it even legal to prevent somone from going to rehab when they need to, holding thir job hostage?

Notfunorfunny and Rockside7 like this.
  10. Rockside7

Reputations:

In a normal job, you probably can't prevent someone from going to rehab.

Howard probably has something in their contracts where he can get rid of them for any reason though.

11. DiamondGoddess

Reputations:
    If Howard deprived Artie of rehab by threatening his job, that shit is pure evil!!!

12. redwolf

redwolf Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    those old Eric the midget shows or calls were great, I am disappointed I didn't enjoy them more when he was still around, the best they have now is Bobo call of the day bullshit, for really good listening listen to when Eric was banned from the show and called in as Derek from Texas, good stuff!

13. DinnerSocks

DinnerSocks Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Howard flat out told Artie, on air, to take as much time as he needed during their reconciliation following the infamous "Bro Fight". In late 2008, we were fast approaching the "Rock'n Roll Artie" era where he lost just about all of the charisma and charm that he had and just became an arrogant, obnoxious prick. Just look at his fights with Yucko, Lou Bellero, and Ben Stiller and capping off with his appearance on "The Joe Buck Show"; there was a complete change in his attitude. He thought being mean equaled funny. I dislike Howard but, at least back then, he would've given Artie as much time as he needed if Artie was serious about cleaning up. No doubt Artie was just trying to be funny and "edgy" with his comment to Kurt Angle.

14. Rockside7

Reputations:

"Artie, I have a show to do. You do what you have to do but, I need to get someone in here to keep the show going. I wish you all the best. Maybe we'll work again in the future, Bro."

15. DiamondGoddess

Reputations:
    *le sigh*

Totally!!!

(Artie was worth more to the show by being high.)

Notfunorfunny likes this.
  16. Rockside7

Reputations:

Yes, I do recall Howard saying that but, I don't trust him.

17. killallposers

Reputations:
    We don't know that this wasn't something Artie brought up to Howard earlier than that. Also, Howard's a liar. Or maybe it was simply a joke, maybe even written by someone else.

18. Tony Dogs

Tony Dogs Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Ironically, Howard eventually decided he didn't need someone to fill Artie's role in order to keep the show going.

19. Fillmore Fingers

Reputations:
    Prior to Beer League, there's a 45 minute clip that's a study in passive-aggressive bullshit on both the wig and Artie's parts. Artie has it written in his contract that he can take time off to do other projects. Howard disregards it and says "I need you to work here." (Boy did he ever, Captain autopilot).

Artie has no balls to say fuck off, wiggy knows he can give his blessing but doesnt.

Tracy, DoucheBro, BrerJimmy and 9 others like this.
  20. Fillmore Fingers

Reputations:

Passive aggressively, he could and would totally hold that over his head. Don't think for a second that the Wig didn't know exactly what buttons to push. LOYALTY, GUILT-TRIPS, etc.

In the event he didn't go down that road he could have easily said "Hey man, you need to keep working. That's the best therapy right there. Now let me take out my megaphone and do a twenty-seventh unfunny attempt to debase your grandma Caprio and kill more airtime."

Tracy, Rockside7, grendelxii and 2 others like this.