Artie's Last Day on Stern, In His Own Words

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by TelegramSam, May 26, 2013.

1. TelegramSam

TelegramSam I love Sam's cock Banned User

Reputations:
    I wanted to put this out there because new posters constantly come in under the impression that Artie was not "fired" (informed his contract wouldn't be renewed) until after the suicide attempt. According to Artie, at least, this wasn't the case. I've been trying to track down different times when he discussed it, this is the best example so far. I thought I'd just type it out, put it out there in the ether, and when I find other comments add to it and bump it. So, here is the transcript of his comments on April 2, 2012 on The Nick and Artie Show.

Some background, during this show Artie was informed in the middle of the show that he was being placed on mandatory medical leave for the remainder of his contract by Tim (to the end of 2010 and Christmas vacation). He was asked to go home and refused. Howard had not re-upped yet at this point. Sometime during this period, he was informed that his contract wasn't being renewed but I can't say if it was after he was sent home or he knew going in that day. He's clear that he knew this was his final day on Stern based on these comments and others he has made, but I won't say for sure until I track some of those down that it was during this show when he found that out because that's uncertain in these comments.

Artie's Last Day, In His Own Words

Caller: One more thing, hey uh, Howard's on vacation. Before they went on vacation they were talking about you, about the last day you were there. What was like, what happened the last day you were there? They didn't get into it.

Artie: It was, uh, it was horrifying it was uh, you know I mean listen, clearly I've had some well publicized problems that hit their peak that day. And um, I don't remember much about it. Like Robin's news, apparently I was there for it, I don't really remember much about it. Um, and uh, they didn't know what to do, they wanted to send me home and I wouldn't go home. I'm mad I didn't go home because they wanted me to and I really didn't want to upset them anymore because I love those guys. But, the problem is in my head I love the fact that I staid. My last day ever. I was on there 10 years, if on my last day I didn't make it through the show I really would have been mad about that. The last day was a little crazy and I uh, I'm sad I upset them but I'm happy in a way I finished that last show. If I didn't finish that last show, as much of a slob as I look like, I'd be more...(Artie is searching for the words, and at this point he gets sidetracked by Nick and his guest).

EDIT: Fixed the year :facepalm:

Last edited: May 26, 2013
  2. Herc

Herc New Member

Reputations:
    Howard pocketed both Jackie's Marbles & Artie's Marbles . . . :secret:

3. mike25

mike25 Active Member VIP

Reputations:
  4. TelegramSam

Reputations:
    Looking back on it now, what happened to Billy's marbles as well? They never had a "Win Billy's Job Contest", and never had a new person in the "Billy Chair".

5. mike25

mike25 Active Member VIP

Reputations:
    Billy apparently was hired by the station to do commercials. howard got to borrow him. unlike at sirius, i've never seen the krock contract so i have no idea how things worked, or who was responsible for pay, but it was said that billy treated differently and had other responsibilities outside of the stern show.

6. TelegramSam

Reputations:
    You may be right about that, I only listened occasionally in those days and don't have a great knowledge of what went down at the end. Billy refuses to even speak Howard's name in an interview and obviously hates him, so we've only gotten one side of the story (Howard's). I know Herc is up on that period really well, hopefully he can fill me in?

7. Herc

Herc New Member

Reputations:
    When Billy asked for a full time gig there Howard said fuck you and he pocketed his Marbles as well . . . :facepalm:

8. TelegramSam

Reputations:
    Thank you sir, I knew it was something along those lines.:wigtip:

9. Herc

Herc New Member

Reputations:
    Howard puts the blame on his hatchet man at the time Tom. But Tom was just a patsy for Howard. Howard didn't want to pay him. Plain and simple . . . :secret:

10. lucasdb

lucasdb New Member Banned User

Reputations:
    Billy has talked about Howard many times including O&A where he spoke highly of him
    I get the hate, but don't make shit up

11. TelegramSam

Reputations:
    That was a long time ago. Recently he's gotten angrier, his last Jay Thomas appearance particularly. He refused to discuss Howard at all when a caller brought it up, and Jay had to talk him out of walking off the show.

12. lucasdb

Reputations:
    Another not true story
    Billy himself said that it was mostly do to Tom wanting him to sign a release that said he was solely responsible for any fines/lawsuits due to things he said on the air (leaving the management in the clear)

13. TelegramSam

Reputations:
    Tom=Howard, you do know that, right?

14. lucasdb

Reputations:
    I did not hear the show but in the last few years he took part in a vacation special
    I can't see why he would get madder recently

15. TelegramSam

Reputations:
    He said at the time he did that special because regardless of how things ended, he wanted to provide a commentary on his time there for the fans and to give some kind of closure to it. I don't listen to O&A, I can't comment on that, but I can tell you that at trade shows Billy will not autograph anything Stern related, and that he will not discuss Stern, THSS or anything along those lines on some of his recent appearances. He was on Jackie's Joke Hunt a year ago, and never mentioned Howard's name once despite being on Howard 101. If that doesn't tell you how he feels I don't know what does.

16. Herc

Herc New Member

Reputations:
    Jackie wrote lines for Billy to say. Which were fed to Howard for approval first. That's another Howard Stern rewriting history lie. It's always comes down to the money with Howard. Always . . .

17. lucasdb

Reputations:
    Howard was never held responsible for anything he said, the station was
    Why would he want Tom to make Billy responsible?

18. lucasdb

Reputations:
    Oh OK so Billy knows less about the reason he left than you do
    I swear this board is filled with fucking morons

19. Herc

Herc New Member

Reputations:
    :facepalm:

20. TelegramSam

Reputations:
    I'm not even sure as to what you're trying to say there.