Baba Booey 25 (101 Special)(What Do You Think Of Baba???)

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by codeine, Aug 30, 2015.

1. codeine

codeine Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Anyone listening to this special on 101 this Weekend & Last Weekend?

Just more recycled shit but better to listen to than the *new shows*.

Anyway.... A few questions? Do you think the show (Howard Stern Show) would have been such a big hit in the 1990's & 2000's before Sirius due to this expression? I wonder if the show would have gained as much fame without these simple 2 words "BABA BOOEY"?

Also... Gary is obviously a terrible employee/manager and a terrible producer. Howard always hired slow unqualified people to run his show because he is a cheap fuck.... Without the Baba Booey nickname for Boy Gary, do you think Howard would have kept Gary all of these years???

Anyway, basically Gary won the lottery. Without The HSS, Gary probably would have ended up being a phone boy at WNBC and then going on to work at a furniture store being a salesman. And probably dying in 1999 of a cocaine induced heart attack.

Howard also won the lottery with Gary & The Name Baba Booey.

2. StillAFan

StillAFan Mult

Reputations:
    You don't get the show. Gary has steered the ship for years, his character may seem incompetent but in reality Gary has run the most successful show in radio history for a very long time. You can't do that if you don't know what you are doing. You are correct that the term "baba Booey" has become a part of our national vernacular, one of Howard's innumerable contributions to our culture.

3. SlinkyNeckStern

SlinkyNeckStern High Pitch Mike Lookalike

Reputations:
    We don't know what he does well behind the scenes. (If anything.) His buffoonery could have been bullshit for bits. But it seemed like genuine incompetence at the time. My guess - he really is a boob.

The nickname probably did help with his security.

4. Big Biscuit

Big Biscuit Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    If Gary is that sharp, he would understand more than anyone that the show has been in steady decline for years AND as the "outstanding" producer he is........figure out a way to fix it. The buffoonery may be schtick, but the arrogance and inabiility to influence Howard (good producers do this with the on air talent) in a positive direction is his responsibility and a death knell for the show.

5. FCCstandards

FCCstandards Non-Essential Salooner VIP

Reputations:
    Gary's an idiot.

6. bznick

bznick Hustling, Flowing, and Hating! Gold

Reputations:
    He's lucky, not good. He's a complete fuck up and fortunate to have profited from it.

7. vaporizer

vaporizer Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I don't think the popularity of the show was based on the Baba Booey thing. The show USED to be about people sitting in the studio and riffing. It also used to be about Howard saying fucked up things that people were surprised to hear on public broadcasts. The one thing that is definitely the most important part of his testicle radio show that he hasn't had to deal with on Sirius - and something that has made him VERY lazy - is all the dancing around the seven dirty words much like kids do, putting the joke over on the powers that be by getting his ideas out there in a creative, juvenile, and SMART way. It's not like that anymore. The show has suffered massively for it.

I don't know that Gary is terrible per se. I think that Gary fit the mold when he started - able to book guests, work for peanuts, take boffs shit. As the years went on Gary learned the game and knew that Howard would never fire anyone and adjusted his work ethic around that. Why do you think Gary was able to show up to the most successful and powerful show in New York radio history wearing clothes that made him look like he was getting ready to do some landscaping? Gary is no idiot.

Absolutely. But as I said before, Gary is no idiot. He sensed that Howard was (and is) a pushover and that's where we are today.

Eh. Not exactly. It's certainly free promotion for the show when ass holes show up to PGA events and scream it or scum bags like Joey Boots crash remote news feeds.

The fact of the matter is, yes, the Baba Booey thing was (and is) HUGE for the show. Howard, however, did just fine before it and was able to keep Gary mostly in place through the 90's as he was climbing to the top of the radio mountain. It was the best B line a show could have ever gotten from a supporting player.

TheJackiePuppet likes this.
  8. tv910

tv910 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    The best thing about the special is that there aren't any interviews. That saves me the trouble of changing the channel or turning off the radio, like I usually do during Howard's bore-fests. The worst thing is that most of these clips have been played recently on Sternthology.

9. Night Ape

Night Ape Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Gary is a spineless wimp.

He's the lowly nerd the other nerds picked on to feel cool and he's turned it into a livelihood.

That's what has kept him employed all these years: his inhuman ability to be a permissive punching bag.

Howard destroyed a man and the man is thankful to him.

If anything, Gary is Howard's greatest creation.

10. Ganggreen87

Ganggreen87 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I would liken running the howard stern show to being a social director at a fraternity.
    Not much to do, one or two big things a quarter the rest is gravy and everyone is generally happy. A party or event goes side ways you take some shit for it Monday at Chapter. Bigger events you have sub committees plan em like your yearly party etc etc

Calling a list of "celebrity" names and begging people to book with the show isn't much work and that's what Gary does. Gary's reputation isn't getting people In there Howard's is and people really don't care formHoward. That's why at CBS a bunch had to do those phone junkets and you could just tell they hated it. Gary acted like it was a big get but they were contractually oblagated to do so.

What does Gary do for a living?
    He is a glorified phone tree operator, plan and simple. Monday he just starts working down the list, begging

11. Abner Devereaux

Abner Devereaux Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I believe Gary is great at his job. Juggling the demands placed on him with reality all the while being roasting daily is not something I would apply for.

If all the rants directed towards him are honest then it's even more interesting. If they replace him with someone that is off limits to mention on air then it would be funnier to talk about here than whatever they are doing on air.

After reading this forum for the past week I honestly believe the show exists now to provide material for the humor here. The posts here are actually funny.

12. TheSurvivingJesusTwin

TheSurvivingJesusTwin Half as ubiquitous

Reputations:
    Competent or not, I love that horse-toothed, baboon-lipped, mustachioed, cro magnon, monkey-faced, da da dufus.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2015
  13. Uncle Larry

Uncle Larry Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Gary did a good job of taking crap for having big teeth, sleeping on the job and waiting by the phone to have guests call to book themselves as they go on every show in NYC. However, he's no genius and the attempt to create an image for him as a tech expert was an epic fail.

The fool who asks callers what they do for a living may be taking a big pay cut if Howard calls it a day after this contract expires.

14. 1Vegasgirl

1Vegasgirl Well-Known Member VIP Gold

Reputations:
    Lost any credibility when he wore his obama t-shirt.:happyhappy:

Shortwave98 and the G-man like this.
  15. F Timmy

F Timmy Well-Known Member

Reputations:
  16. MilkyDischarge

MilkyDischarge Se suelto el diablo Gold

Reputations:
    I'm enjoying it. It's classic studio and back room antics when people I enjoyed were there. There's three weeks of this then he last weekend is all Bababooey songs, which I'll skip.
    He's part of the chemistry when the show was great, and I appreciate him for that. If they had an all-business, getting things done producer, the show would have been very different.

Tracy and codeine like this.
  17. the G-man

the G-man Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    If Gary were a competent producer Howard never would've needed to hire Tim Sabine or Marcy Turk. Gary's job is a glorified assistant/ booking agent. His primary role since 1990 has always been to play a character on the show .

18. SalsMasterShake

SalsMasterShake Mouthpiece VIP

Reputations:
    THIS. Plus, his elevation from deservedly ripped on moron from The Booey Tapes, not long before Jackie left, to Sacred Monkey near the time Artie left, forms a large part of why I stopped listening to THSS (that, and Gunkwig's hypocrisy, star fucking, BethO, kittens, and general faggotry).

I can remember my stomach turning during a WUS when, after an obligatory, "sir, what do you do for a living?" to an irate caller complaining about how shitty THSS had become, the caller called Booey an ape or something similarly simian, and Hein and Booey went into this dissertation about how unfunny and passé calling Booey a chimp was. :facepalm:

He is seriously Number 1 on my "want to punch as hard as I can in the face" list. Howard's probably Number 2. :punch:

19. lilbuddy67

lilbuddy67 A man with breath-taking anger management issues Banned User

Reputations:
    BabaHelloWave.gif

codeine likes this.
  20. ChristinesEmotionalFriend

ChristinesEmotionalFriend Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I agree with the bolded part, but unlike most here I actually like Gary's character. I'd eat shrimp with Booey and talk about which songs sound better on vinyl.