Baba Booey...in Golf Digest

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Nemo, Oct 15, 2014.

1. Nemo

Nemo Beer Can Thick Gold

Reputations:
    http://www.golfdigest.com/magazine/2014-11/disruptors-innovators-risk-takers-in-golf
    [​IMG]

Photos by
    John Loomis
    November 2014

Golf has never been exactly static. (Hit a feathery with your mashie lately?) But now, the pace of change is more intense than ever. From equipment to conditioning to country-club memberships, here are 33 people who can't be bothered with the status quo.

We're at a pivotal moment in golf's history. Advances in technology, a booming economy and Tiger Woods' popularity lifted the game to new heights in the 1990s and early 2000s. But now that momentum has stalled, or at least slowed. Where does golf go from here? Some argue for following the path golf has always followed, believing that the game's tradition is its greatest appeal and its only salvation. But others—we call them The Disruptors—aren't so sure about that. Unwilling to sit passively, they're looking for new and surprising ways to increase participation, to make courses more appealing and eco-friendly, to engage with fans and customers, to help golfers learn the game faster and more easily. They're amateurs and professionals, course owners and employees, accomplished players and choppers. Though they might not make everyone happy, they're shaking things up.

Which might be just what golf needs.

[​IMG]

"Ridiculous."

That's what Gary Dell'Abate thinks every time he hears his nickname—Baba Booey—breaking the silence after tee shots on PGA Tour telecasts.

"It's as stupid as some guy yelling, 'Mashed potatoes,' " says Dell'Abate, executive producer of "The Howard Stern Show" on SiriusXM radio.

And yet ... he appreciates it. "To me, it's the secret handshake of 'The Howard Stern Show,' " Dell'Abate says. "Yelling Baba Booey anywhere is like saying, 'I'm a Howard Stern fan.' "

Why Baba Booey? "It was 20-something years ago," he says, "and I mistakenly referred to the cartoon character Baba Looey from 'The Quick Draw McGraw Show' as Baba Booey. What I thought was a simple mistake still lives today."

Stern fans have been yelling "Baba Booey" during live TV broadcasts for many years, but the practice gained momentum at tour events in 2013 after Ian Poulter complained about it to Stern on Twitter. Before long, Stern and his sidekicks began rating their favorite Baba Booey golf shout-outs on the radio show. Jason Dufner, a Stern listener, came on the show after winning the 2013 PGA Championship and said he didn't mind hearing the Baba Booeys and even found them funny.

The irony is that Dell'Abate was neither a golfer nor much of a golf fan before all of this. But during Dufner's visit, Dell'Abate met PGA of America executive Julius Mason, who told him he could arrange some lessons if Baba Booey ever decided to take up the game. He did just that, taking half a dozen lessons with a young pro in Connecticut earlier this year. Through early September, Baba Booey had played four nine-hole rounds and was beginning to consider himself a golfer.

"I'm not a good golfer, but at least I understand how to play the game now," he says. "I'm president of an AIDS charity called LifeBeat; I lost my brother in 1991. I've been thinking about putting together a golf event, and now I feel like it makes a lot of sense. Maybe we call it The Baba Booey Invitational."

Like the antics of Bill Murray at Pebble Beach, first reviled and then embraced, the shout of "Baba Booey" at a pro tournament is, in fact, pretty ridiculous. But it also symbolizes a not-entirely-negative type of disruption, which is at the heart of every profile on these pages. Gnash your teeth if you must. Kick in your TV. Cancel your subscription. The fact is, Baba Booey is like the Rodney Dangerfield character in "Caddyshack"—a voice from outside golf's stuffy inner sanctum that says, "Lighten up, people!" —Craig Bestrom

2. Nemo

Nemo Beer Can Thick Gold

Reputations:

AmishGirl and whatsit like this.
  3. Dominic GPS

Dominic GPS TIT: Texan-In-Training VIP

Reputations:
    ibw

4. Nemo

Nemo Beer Can Thick Gold

Reputations:
    Fun Facts....
    Team Stern loves the ambush or disruptive behavior of others broadcast or workspace but quickly dumps any non amazing callers at the Revolution. Howard doesn't even tolerate a regular caller fumbling their script.

Tapes Team repackage the same 100 hours of vetted re-re-re-edited tapes
    The other 30,000 hours.....BANNED?

Last edited: Oct 15, 2014
    PelicanWig, blindbella, ARM and 2 others like this.
  5. Alisonsbankacct

Alisonsbankacct Out to lunch.

Reputations:
    Tannest white collar worker I've ever seen. Must be that brutal office schedule.

And that outfit is more ridiculous than Hamptons Booey from years ago

Jayla, Shortwave98 and ARM like this.
  6. piledriver123

piledriver123 Wonky hunter and Shed lover VIP

Reputations:
    What a delusional douche. I would rather flip through this magazine with pics of this large gummed simian being beat to death with a big Bertha. I hate this douche

1Vegasgirl and GIRLY like this.
  7. MrWarmth

MrWarmth ADORABLE DEPLORABLE Gold

Reputations:
    It was a mere 10 years ago that Stern was saying that golf is for fags.

GIRLY likes this.
  8. CCMaguire

CCMaguire Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

John Mahlin likes this.
  9. Mulletude

Mulletude I'm Big In The Hate Club, Ya Know VIP

Reputations:
    Ma-ma-Monkey's arms are so hairy, at first look I thought that he was wearing a long sleeve shirt.

yaddc likes this.
  10. ohmicah

ohmicah Real Gad About Town

Reputations:

Booey seems to agree:

"I'm not a good golfer, but at least I understand how to play the game now," he says. "I'm president of an AIDS charity called LifeBeat; I lost my brother in 1991. I've been thinking about putting together a golf event, and now I feel like it makes a lot of sense. Maybe we call it The Baba Booey Invitational."

11. yaddc

yaddc Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Boy this:chimp: has come a long way. Was he related to that :chimp: who bit that womens face off , since it happened in CONN where boo e is from.

12. John Coktoaston

John Coktoaston Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

look who also got into golf digest - New York's lisa g!

13. 2 2 Toothie

2 2 Toothie Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    You could hear it in Howard's voice when he asked Bill Murray what he thought of someone shouting Ba Ba Booey during golf tournaments. Howard's opportunity for Bill to say that it's funny. Murray killed Howard and Gary's hope in the best way. Murray said he didn't know that existed. Whether that is the truth, Murray said he hadn't heard. Even better if any of Murray's his friends thought it was funny, Murray would have been aware.

14. 2 2 Toothie

2 2 Toothie Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    No sports credibility at all. This from the man who chunked a ball for his Met's baseball first pitch.

15. yaddc

yaddc Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Props to Bill.

16. Nemo

Nemo Beer Can Thick Gold

Reputations:
  17. Dismember

Dismember Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Disruptors
    Innovators
    &
    Monkey-Faggots

18. Beths Arab

Beths Arab Well-Known Member VIP Gold

Reputations:
    The only magazine that arrogant big toothed douche bag belongs in is National Geographic.

John Mahlin and Mulletude like this.
  19. Rockside7

Rockside7 VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Custom fitted, $1500 clubs.

Probably given to him.

All so he can shoot 120, if he's even truthful about his score.

2 2 Toothie, Nemo and Imus O Sternsky like this.
  20. Imus O Sternsky

Imus O Sternsky VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Nice clubs though.
    [​IMG]

Nemo likes this.