Back to the Future was right: a working hoverboard will be available in 2015

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by boognishstern, Oct 21, 2014.

1. boognishstern

boognishstern Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Back to the Future was right: a working hoverboard will be available in 2015
    By Signe Brewster
    2 hours ago

[​IMG]
    photo: Signe Brewster
    Summary:
    A California startup has created a real-life hoverboard, and they even let me ride it. But it’s mostly a publicity stunt meant to raise interest in levitating other things.

The good news: Just like Back to the Future Part II promised, you will be able to get your hands (or feet) on a working hoverboard on Oct. 21, 2015.

[​IMG]
    The super stylish Back to the Future Part II hoverboard.

The bad news: The board, which is called the Hendo, will cost $10,000 and the battery only lasts 7 minutes.

Despite the hefty price tag, Arx Pax, the Los Gatos, Calif., startup behind the board, let me take it for a ride Monday afternoon. I wasn’t immediately steady enough to jerk the board in different directions, but I kept my balance as it slowly spun in a circle while I bounced between two of Arx Pax’s engineers. The board was large, almost like a doublewide snowboard. It felt as if I was standing on a giant air hockey puck hovering three quarters of an inch above the ground.

[​IMG]
    That’s me on the Hendo hoverboard. Photo by Arx Pax.

Arx Pax doesn’t actually care much about giving you a totally rad new way to get from point A to B. Its real focus is a square white box that it is also offering up as a part of the $250,000 Kickstarter campaign it launched today. It’s a developer kit that’s meant to help anyone add hovering capabilities to anything they want, from a priceless work of art in a museum at risk for earthquakes to a robot moving parcels across a warehouse floor.

The big catch is that the Hendo can only hover over a conductive material. At the Arx Pax office, we hovered over a floor and half pipe covered in copper. That’s because the board generates a magnetic field. When there is a sheet of metal underneath, it is powerful enough to push the board upward (it’s the same technology as a Maglev train). The developer kit can support up to 40 pounds. The Hendo board can support up to 300 pounds, with support for 500 pounds planned for the future. It only dipped for a fraction of a second when I hopped on.

[​IMG]

Arx Pax’s founders, husband and wife team Greg and Jill Henderson, aren’t shy about the aspirations they have for the technology; they want to see everything from flying cars to space elevators made with it. When you speak with them, it’s clear that they generally live by that kind of ambition. Jill used to work in communications, while Greg was an architect. Jill described him sitting at home at their table with Wikipedia open, grappling over how to make his dream of levitation possible.

“It’s the advantage of showing up without everyone else’s preconceived scientific notions,” Greg said. “We don’t have the proofs written out. A lot of scientists find that offensive. When we get this technology out into the hands of everyone else, that’s something I hope we can catch up on.”

[​IMG]
    Greg and Jill Henderson with a Hendo board. Photo by Signe Brewster.

Arx Pax will refine the board over the next year to make it smaller and more stylish. It emits a noise right now that sounds like a cross between a fan, screaming and nails on a chalkboard, but within the next few months the startup expects to have it be completely silent. The team will also make it possible to step onto the board before it starts hovering. I witnessed a prototype called “Manta Ray” jump up from the ground and begin hovering without the lift the board needed to start.

It’s possible to make the board hover higher, but one engineer explained that to double the hover height to 1.5 inches it would eat up about four times as much energy. Only certain applications would call for that kind of power consumption.

So now that we’ve solved hoverboards, where are those flying cars from Back to the Future?

2. LaserT

LaserT You have to have fun. Gold

Reputations:
    I want the sneakers...

[​IMG]

3. boognishstern

Reputations:
    Nike Goes Back to the Future With Self-Tying Sneakers
    By Jon M. Chang
    @JonMChang

Feb 18, 2014 2:17pm
    [​IMG]
    (Roger Kisby/Getty Images)

“Back to the Future Part II” made some whimsical predictions for what 2015 would bring, including flying cars and hoverboards.

But Tinker Hatfield, a shoe designer at Nike, is looking to turn some of that whimsy into reality, saying that Marty McFly’s self-tying sneakers are on the horizon.

Hatfield spoke at a recent event at the Jordan Brand’s Flight Lab in New Orleans in preparation for the NBA All-Star game. The website Sole Collector reported that when an attendee asked about the futuristic sneakers, Hatfield replied, “Are we gonna see power laces in 2015? To that, I say YES!”

This isn’t the first time Nike tried to replicate the famous on-screen sneakers. In 2011, the shoe company released Nike Mag Air. It didn’t have self-tightening laces, but the shoes looked like they were taken from the movie prop room. Nike made only 1,500 pairs and auctioned them off, with all the proceeds going to the Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson’s disease research.

Hatfield did not specify whether they would be bringing back the Nike Mag Air or putting the power laces in different model shoe. Nike declined to comment further on the matter.

smichal and LaserT like this.
  4. cia212

cia212 Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Cool. But it still needs to be on a copper or aluminum surface, right?

smichal and boognishstern like this.
  5. boognishstern

Reputations:
    sounds like that's the case, which sucks almost as much the price tag

smichal and cia212 like this.
  6. HS Cult Leader

HS Cult Leader Elite Member Gold

Reputations:
    That sounds a little like the noise my Induction stove makes when I have two frying pans close together on high. :shakey:

Last edited: Oct 21, 2014
    smichal and boognishstern like this.
  7. MorningSong13

MorningSong13 Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    I'd rather have Gray's Sports Almanac

8. BuffaloTom

BuffaloTom Closed By User Banned User

Reputations:
    Great, now I have one more thing to hurt myself with.

smichal likes this.
  9. Brokenbad

Brokenbad Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    cough-cough pump n' dump cough fart

AllAboutHim Ed likes this.
  10. DogStar69

DogStar69 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    It's like a roomba with chain saw noise. I bet when a person is on it it's 1/64 inch off the ground.

smichal likes this.
  11. lilbuddy67

lilbuddy67 A man with breath-taking anger management issues Banned User

Reputations:
    That'll be perfect for my copper-floored gymnasium.

smichal, John Mahlin and Ving like this.