Bad news for software bootleggers that use Windows 10

Discussion in 'The Bar' started by Diogenes1, Aug 17, 2015.

1. Diogenes1

Diogenes1 VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Windows 10: Microsoft can disable pirated software, unauthorized hardware

Microsoft can disable any counterfeit software or hardware running Windows 10, at least this is what is being interpreted based on the updated End User License Agreement (EULA). The new terms and conditions allow Microsoft to change or update software on your computer and changes to the EULA were first spotted by PC Authority.

According to the report, section 7b or ‘Updates to the Services or Software, and Changes to These Terms’ under EULA states that Microsoft, “may automatically check your version of the software and download software update or configuration changes, including those that prevent you from accessing the Services, playing counterfeit games, or using unauthorized hardware peripheral devices.

With Windows 10 already running on over 14 million machines, it is still uncertain how Microsoft will be able to disable counterfeit or cracked software which includes its own Office suite. With Windows 10 Home, Microsoft has already made the software update mandatory. The problem with this that a user might not even know when the update will take place and Microsoft has denied users the choice to say no to an update.

While PC games have been heavily cracked and distributed across various channels, popular video game streaming service like Steam have been gaining strengths. Microsoft quashed its Windows Live Games in support of Steam with Windows 10.

While Microsoft blocking pirated games/software seems understandable but its unclear what Microsoft means by ‘unauthorized hardware peripheral devices’. With Windows 10, Microsoft has brought Xbox games to computers and users can also stream Xbox games from Windows 10 machines. Microsoft disabling unauthorized hardware might well relate to Xbox game controllers which will now serve as a must-have peripheral for PC gaming.

2. DrSublux

DrSublux Who am dis VIP

Reputations:
    well okay then...good talk

3. face palm

face palm Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    you need an aspirin?

4. gwartney

gwartney Unafilliated Gold

Reputations:
    I've been told that you can still go in and disable automatic updates. I don't remember how. The big pain in the ass is for laptop users. You try to shut it off so you can go somewhere and it tells you not to shut it off because it is installing updates. I'll probably go in and eventually shut that service off.

5. gwartney

gwartney Unafilliated Gold

Reputations:
    I was thinking today that this is going to encourage people to leave their PCs on all the time instead of shutting it off to conserve energy. As far as pirated software, I have one pc that has legitimate Microsoft software but a couple of the others :whistle: (no games). Everything is working fine on it so far.

6. Gomez

Gomez Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    as long as it doesn't fuck with 4chan, I'm kool

7. VarmintSam

VarmintSam Well-Known Member VIP Gold

Reputations:
    You have to be a retarded asshole if you didnt see that one coming.

8. Diogenes1

Diogenes1 VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    "retarded assholes" is pretty funny...

VarmintSam likes this.
  9. sstressed

sstressed enhancement toker VIP

Reputations:
    i shut off the auto updates on win 7 but turned them back on. i've gotten a few updates that were kind of big but yesterdays was 14 updates and it took over 2 hours to download them. it usually takes a few minutes. when windows came back up it had a message saying to get windows 10. if it's not broke, i'm not fixing it. :grad:

gwartney likes this.
  10. Chriza

Chriza The One Man Gangbang VIP

Reputations:
    I haven't used bootleg software in years.

Diogenes1 likes this.