Bad news for the NFL.....Get ready for touch football

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Shithead, Sep 18, 2015.

1. Shithead

Shithead Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Study finds 96 percent of former NFL players had CTE
    BY Michael O'keeffe
    NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
    Friday, September 18, 2015, 12:34 PM
    • A
    • A
    • A
    Share this URL
    [​IMG] Al Messerschmidt Archive/Getty Images
    Hall of Fame Chargers linebacker Junior Seau also had CTE, an exam following his suicide found.
    More bad news for the NFL on the concussion front: Ninety-six percent of deceased pro football players examined by researchers have tested positive for chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE), the brain-destroying disease that has been linked to the deaths of Junior Seau, Dave Duerson and Mike Webster.

Researchers with the Department of Veterans Affairs and Boston University have found CTE in 87 of 91 former NFL players tested, PBS' Frontline reported Friday. In total, the researchers found CTE in 131 of 165 players who played for pro, semi-pro, college and high school teams.

"People think that we're blowing this out of proportion, that this is a very rare disease and that we're sensationalizing it," said Ann McKee, the director of the brain bank, a collaboration between the VA and BU. "My response is that where I sit, this is a very real disease. We have no problem in identifying it in hundreds of players."

FOLLOW THE DAILY NEWS SPORTS ON FACEBOOK. "LIKE" US HERE.

CTE is believed to come from repetitive blows to the head and football players are especially at risk because of the thousands of hits they suffer in practices and games during the course of their careers.

The repeated shots to the head damage nerve fibers, which release proteins that pool in the brain and kill cells in regions that regulate emotions and critical thinking. Forty percent of those who tested positive were offensive or defensive linemen, players who are hit on virtually every play of a game.

CTE has been linked to dementia, memory loss, depression and other conditions.

[​IMG] NFL/AP
    Dave Duerson, the former Bears and Giants safety, had brain damage when he committed suicide, researchers said in 2011.
    Frontline noted that the figures come with a caveat: Players who donated their brains for research most likely suspected that they had the disease, leaving researchers with a skewed population of subjects.

"We are dedicated to making football safer and continue to take steps to protect players, including rule changes, advanced sideline technology, and expanded medical resources," an NFL spokesman said.

In its 2015 Health and Safety Report, the NFL said concussions dropped 35%, from 173 in 2012 to 112 in 2014. Frontline disputed that claim, saying an analysis of information reported by teams during the preseason shows a smaller decrease of 28%.

In court papers filed last year in connection to a class-action head trauma lawsuit brought by former players, the NFL acknowledged that it expects about a third of its retirees will develop long-term cognitive problems. A federal judge granted approval to a $1 billion settlement to that case in April, although many players have opted out.

The NFL donated $1 million to McKee's lab in 2010, but the league attempted for years to refute any links between football and brain disease. The NFL's Mild Traumatic Brain Injury Committee concluded in a series of scientific papers released between 2003 and 2009 that pro football players "do not sustain frequent repetitive blows to the brain."

The controversy surrounding the NFL's concussion crisis will likely sharpen later this year with the release of "Concussion," a film starring Will Smith. The film focuses on Bennet Omalu, the neurosurgeon who first linked CTE to repetitive head trauma. League doctors publicly assailed Omalu's work and demanded a retraction of an article he wrote for a medical journal.

2. LawyerLarry

LawyerLarry Mr. Fuckmoney in the Bank VIP

Reputations:
    Tldr. As long as they still tackle in college.

ARM likes this.
  3. HypocriteHowie

HypocriteHowie Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    The NFL deserves every bit of criticism it gets here and should pay through the nose to those that suffer. Fucking guys got their "bell rung" and were forced back out onto the field. If they got too injured they could be cut with no pay. What a shit system for the players and a great deal for the owners, fuck them.

4. chapped

chapped Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Sad that all these NFL players had no clue that contact with other people might happen from time to time before signing multimillion dollar contracts

Shortwave98 and Willowglen like this.
  5. unclefreddy

unclefreddy Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    You got to admit, this is what the players live for, they yearn for hard game play. I think all the players know the risks, that's one of the reasons they are paid the big bucks - much more than soldiers. Also, a lot of these players heads are messed up even before they finish high school. Have you ever talked to a football player, its not like they chose football over becoming a surgeon. All joking aside, I feel bad, but this is not an OSHA problem, the players should be told immediately that playing football can be detrimental to their health, they can then have the opportunity to quit. Maybe instead of wearing pink in the month of October, that money should go to a football veterans health charity.

RonHeinzkaboot, ARM and Tracy like this.
  6. Dump Button

Dump Button Former Mall Security Guard

Reputations:
    The end of football is near folks.....this goes all the way down to little kids tackling each other.

I played football all the way to college FB and I would never let my son play

the end is coming wether you like it or not

gnarly barkley and Domo Cup like this.
  7. PI Nate

PI Nate Disenfranchised since 1984... Gold

Reputations:
    No one is forcing them to play the game, they know the dangers. They'll even lie to get back in.

During a "Real Sports" segment on HBO in January, Urlacher said: "If I have a concussion these days, I'm going to say, 'Oh man, something happened to my toe or knee or something, I've got to come out for a few plays,' just to get your bearings back. I'm not going to sit in there and say 'I got a concussion. I can't go in for the rest of the game.'"

8. PI Nate

Reputations:
    A ton of people dont share you view and think their kids athletic talent is the way out.

Rescued Owl and Dump Button like this.
  9. DuckDong

DuckDong VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Agreed

No different then sending a guy into mines and having company doctors telling them they "had a cold" when they knew it was black lung.

If folks want to play fine... just be upfront about what you know. Dont lie about it.

10. joemama

joemama Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Yeah no one gives a shit except the assholes who don't even watch the game.

Not going to change a thing.

11. DDragon

DDragon VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    No more white football players because blacks need football to escape the ghetto thus they wont stop playing meanwhile white parents wont let be letting their kids play. Get ready for 32 starting black quarterbacks.:freebird:

Dorb likes this.
  12. Dump Button

Reputations:
    for the NFL the use of PEDs has highlighted the CTE issue. Bigger, faster, stronger

RonHeinzkaboot likes this.
  13. Slow

Slow My name is my name DawgShed News

Reputations:
    Agreed. If you are a great athlete why not go for a sport where you have a much lower chance of getting injured and pooping your pants in a nursing home at 60 years old.

It will eventually be the national flag football league.

Dump Button likes this.
  14. Slow

Slow My name is my name DawgShed News

Reputations:
    If there are 32 black quarterbacks then who is going to win the superbowl?

Last edited: Sep 18, 2015
    Donkeyboy2190 likes this.
  15. PI Nate

Reputations:

[​IMG]

Average NFL Player salary in 2015 $1.9 million per year

16. HypocriteHowie

HypocriteHowie Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    While they may know some of the dangers I doubt many of them know that some day the pain in their head and the depression they are suffering from may cause them to kill themselves.

And to kill themselves so that they don't destroy the brain so others can learn.

Once the insurance carriers stop covering people that play football due to brain injuries things will have to change.

17. Dump Button

Reputations:
    flag football isn't a bad idea either.....might save the NFL

18. DuckDong

DuckDong VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:

Now but they are protected now.

I was talking about the guys from the past. They didnt make crap and ala Corey Stringer were told to suck it up or get out.

19. Dan

Dan Do you like my car?

Reputations:
    Reminds me of the old Bob Nelson routine...

20. PI Nate

Reputations:
    No one is forcing them, a thousand like them will take their place.

unclefreddy likes this.