Battle of Gettysburg artifacts.

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by LaserT, Dec 16, 2014.

1. LaserT

LaserT You have to have fun. Gold

Reputations:
    A battle that had over 50,000 deaths.

"Having concentrated his army around the small town of Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, Gen. Robert E. Lee awaited the approach of Union Gen. George G. Meade’s forces. On July 1, early Union success faltered as Confederates pushed back against the Iron Brigade and exploited a weak Federal line at Barlow’s Knoll. The following day saw Lee strike the Union flanks, leading to heavy battle at Devil's Den, Little Round Top, the Wheatfield, Peach Orchard, Culp’s Hill and East Cemetery Hill. Southerners captured Devil’s Den and the Peach Orchard, but ultimately failed to dislodge the Union defenders. On the final day, July 3rd, fighting raged at Culp’s Hill with the Union regaining its lost ground. After being cut down by a massive artillery bombardment in the afternoon, Lee attacked the Union center on Cemetery Ridge and was repulsed in what is now known as Pickett’s Charge. Lee's second invasion of the North had failed, and had resulted in heavy casualties; an estimated 51,000 soldiers were killed, wounded, captured, or listed as missing after Gettysburg."

[​IMG]

This particular bayonet was recovered from the battlefield at Gettysburg in the vicinity of the Henry Spangler Farm.

[​IMG]

This is a period US military telegram sent on April 9, 1865 that reports General Robert E. Lee’s surrender.

[​IMG]

The sand-cast brass Confederate belt plate found on the battlefield.

[​IMG]

Recovered from the battlefield.

[​IMG]

General Sickles actual broken leg and a sample 12lb cannon ball that broke it.

[​IMG]

The bone in this photograph is the left arm of Pvt. John Gilbert, Company C, 42nd New York. Gilbert’s arm was amputated after he was struck by a bullet during the Battle of Gettysburg.

[​IMG]

Union soldier hat from Gettysburg.

[​IMG]

The sword worn by General William Barksdale at Gettysburg.

[​IMG]

A soldiers skull and his weapons/belongings found on the battlefield of Gettysburg.

[​IMG]

A soldiers boot that was found.

[​IMG]

2. Shuli sucks

Shuli sucks Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Cool!! Howard would love to have the skull

3. Nikki

Nikki growing a tail

Reputations:
    The Civil War is fascinating to me. I can't imagine seeing these poor injured men all around and not being able to help them.

And when the cannon balls hit the men, their bones became weapons and killed other soldiers.

We also had the Dred Scott case here. I love history.

Ta Ta Toothy and blindbella like this.
  4. Calloused Shins

Calloused Shins Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    That ball and shattered leg is awesome. Howard related because the battle of Gettysburg and the Sony hacking are the same thing

kippy, Birddog, Fatass and 4 others like this.
  5. Cygnus X1

Cygnus X1 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    These are my favorite threads!:dancin2:

Ganggreen87 and Ta Ta Toothy like this.
  6. LaserT

Reputations:
    Surgical and amputation kit. Alcohol and a mouth stick was needed. Christ, God bless them. :facepalm:

[​IMG]

blindbella, JameGumb and joyceface like this.
  7. LaserT

Reputations:
    Lincoln at Gettysburg....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Evil Clown, blindbella and joyceface like this.
  8. Nikki

Nikki growing a tail

Reputations:
    Imagine being the 30th or so poor SOB who had to have an arm or leg amputated with a dull saw blade. :(

9. joyceface

joyceface Queen of Everything VIP

Reputations:
    We just spent Thanksgiving in Fredericksburg and Spotsylvania Virginia - sites of some of the bloodiest battles in our history. Very interesting stuff. Did you know that Stonewall Jackson's arm is buried by itself, away from the rest of his body?
    This is the route of Stonewall Jackson's march
    1454994_10203007868813678_1115274820714899746_n.jpg

10. Shuli sucks

Reputations:
    Why does LIncon always look like he is cgi like jar jar binks

Fatass and Ynnek4 like this.
  11. Nikki

Nikki growing a tail

Reputations:
    That war aged him so much. When you look at pictures of him when he was first elected, to the day he gave the Gettysburg Address, he looks 20 years older.

Fun Lincoln fact: Lincoln is not buried in the "Lincoln Tomb" but underneath it. Buried there by the caretaker to protect his body from robbers.

blindbella and LaserT like this.
  12. Javaforgotme

Javaforgotme Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:
    If you ever get the chance - I highly recommend getting your family to Gettysbugh and touring the battle grounds. It is hallowed ground. And it has been preserved - not touristy at all. You can buy a cd and self tour. I did with my son and it was awesome. You can stand where the soldiers stood and fell. It is an eery experience.

To stand at the top of cemetery ridge and look down on the fields of Pickett's charge and to think of all the Americans that died on that ground will put your heart in your throat.

BTW - Eisenhowers house is on (or very close to) the Gettysburgh property.

13. HorseFanNetwork

HorseFanNetwork Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    as much as wig and moose bashing is welcome,i enjoy the posts of yours. a bit of a break into headier topics

14. Shuli sucks

Reputations:
    And wasn't he suffering from deep depression too.meanwhile assholes like Obama bush Clinton play golf basketball and saxophone

Nikki likes this.
  15. Nikki

Nikki growing a tail

Reputations:
    Experts say he was depressed. He had a rough childhood too. Imagine being in charge of a Nation with this deadly war going on. I think that would have killed him soon after the war if JWB hadn't.

16. Nikki

Nikki growing a tail

Reputations:
    It reminds me of the site of the Arizona at Pearl Harbor. Very sobering to see. Not a tourist attraction at all, but a place to reflect on the horror of war.

17. LaserT

Reputations:
    I thought he was too.

[​IMG]

joyceface, blindbella and Nikki like this.
  18. Nikki

Nikki growing a tail

Reputations:
    The weight of a nation on that face. There are experts who say he had Marfan Syndrome, but its never been proven. Between the War and the death of 2 young children, it must have been a horrible burden. His wife also suffered depression.

Ganggreen87, blindbella and LaserT like this.
  19. Domo Cup

Domo Cup Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

23,000 Candles - One for Each Soldier Killed, Wounded or Missing at the Battle of Antietam

They light these candles every year and I would love to go sometime. Can't imagine how chilling the sight of 23,000 candles burning at night across the rolling hills and farms of Sharpsburg would be. Single bloodiest day of the war. :rip:

20. SouthernListen

SouthernListen I don't follow the crowd. Sorry about that. VIP

Reputations:
    Actually the 50,000 was total total casualties (killed, wounded, captured, missing), with only about 7-8 thousand killed in battle there. A good percentage of the wounded would have died over the coming weeks, however. Especially on the Confederate side, as they had to haul them over long distances in unsprung wagons during a retreat. The Union wounded (and captured confederate ones) were treated at hospitals set up near the battlefield and in the nearby areas. The Confederate medical services were also inadequate.

It is a beautiful battlefield, one worth seeing even if you're not into the history.