Be careful in front of your TV

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Shithead, Feb 11, 2015.

1. Shithead

Shithead Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Samsung privacy policy warns users of smart TV spying on them
    Samsung has warned users that their smart televisions have the capability to pick up spoken sensitive information and transmit it to third parties. Many people on social media have pointed out that Samsung's voice command televisions resemble the technology in the novel "1984."
    BY Alejandro Alba
    NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
    Tuesday, February 10, 2015, 2:55 PM
    [​IMG] John Locher/AP Samsung is warning smart TV users that their voice-command TVs can pick up sensitive information and be transmitted to third parties.
    Full disclosure: third party companies might be spying on you via your smart TV.

Samsung's private policy for its voice recognizing smart televisions is warning users to not discuss sensitive information around the TV because it could be picked up by third parties.

The policy reads: "Please be aware that if your spoken words include personal or other sensitive information, that information will be among the data captured and transmitted to a third party through your use of Voice Recognition."

Many users on social media pointed out that the privacy policy text resembles a passage from George Orwell's "1984."

The passage reads: "Any sound that Winston made, above the level of a very low whisper, would be picked up by it, moreover, so long as he remained within the field of vision which the metal plaque commanded, he could be seen as well as heard. There was of course no way of knowing whether you were being watched at any given moment. How often or no what system, the Thought Police lugged in on any individual wire was guesswork."

Samsung's privacy policy has many families concerned, but the voice command feature can be turned off and third party spies can be avoided.

Samsung told ABC News that the company takes consumer privacy seriously and they think costumers should know what their product is capable of doing.

"Samsung does not retain voice data or sell it to third parties," A Samsung spokesman told ABC News. "If a consumer consents and uses the voice recognition feature, voice data is provided to a third party during a requested voice command search. At that time, the voice data is sent to a server, which searches for the requested content then returns the desired content to the TV."

1Vegasgirl and smichal like this.
  2. Butcher

Butcher ?

Reputations:
    I could swear my Samsung winked at me the other day :wtf:

3. Calloused Shins

Calloused Shins Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    So does this mean John hein will finally be brought up on charges for being a boy lover?

jameslanza, baci and 1Vegasgirl like this.
  4. Limo Wreck

Limo Wreck Aboard the great mothership Staff Member

Reputations:
    Thats funny, Samsung should warn users of their bait and switch panel lottery.

babybear and 1Vegasgirl like this.
  5. AmishGirl

AmishGirl Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
  6. MrWarmth

MrWarmth ADORABLE DEPLORABLE Gold

Reputations:
    And then you got gonggerea

:rs:

7. markluke

markluke Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Can you elaborate? I'm going to be buying a new TV soon and am wavering between a 75" Samsung and an 80" Sharp

8. Limo Wreck

Reputations:
    Yeah, you can google Samsung Panel Lottery and get plenty of info but the short version is.. Samsungs panel is great but you have to make sure when you buy one of their TVs that you are getting a Samsung panel. They basically outsource their panels with three or four cheap Chinese companies. Before you buy you have to look on the box at the version number to see which panel that TV has. The Samsung is the one you want, I always wondered why I would see great reviews on one site and absolute shit reviews for the same tv on another site. After digging a little deeper I found out about the panel lottery. The chinese panels have bad picture quality and poor viewing angles at the same price as the Samsung panel that you think you are buying.

babybear and 1Vegasgirl like this.
  9. Dorb

Dorb Lovable Old Pig VIP Gold

Reputations:
    If half a million people are watching a samsung tv in prime time and they are listening to our conversations, that would mean a half a million samsung emplyees would have to be listening in.
    They must have hired a whole lot of people to do this. I for one would not want any of them hear me fart!

10. Dorb

Dorb Lovable Old Pig VIP Gold

Reputations:
    Was checking out samsung tv's bout a year ago at best buy and all I could see in the screen were reflections of myself and the store.

baci likes this.
  11. LukeReject

LukeReject Mult Banned User

Reputations:
    I wonder how many people ever read the posted privacy policies for products and websites?

12. markluke

markluke Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Thanks - I had also heard about Dell monitor panels and some being made in Mexico, so it makes sense to check it all out before buying. I'll be getting it from Costco so if I end up getting one I don't like I can easily return it within 90 days.

13. BatmiteReturns

BatmiteReturns Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Same thing for laptop cameras. Just get a piece of black tape and cover up the lens when you are not using it.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2015
  14. MrWarmth

MrWarmth ADORABLE DEPLORABLE Gold

Reputations:
    Jesus. We live in fast times :worried:

15. Limo Wreck

Reputations:
    If you make sure to get the Samsung panel I think you will enjoy it but I wouldnt settle for one of the other panels.
    Most folks write down the version number they need for the size tv they will be buying and take it with them and ask the store employee to find that version number in the pile. Samsung will probably lose me as a potential customer because I buy online and I really dont want the hassle of returning stuff until I get what I have paid for.

markluke likes this.
  16. yaddc

yaddc Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I got a 60in smart, pretty cool , we just dont talk when watching it.

17. LukeReject

LukeReject Mult Banned User

Reputations:
    Married huh?

18. Shithead

Shithead Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Mesmorized by the Wig during AGT?

yaddc likes this.
  19. Beths Arab

Beths Arab Well-Known Member VIP Gold

Reputations:
    I think you pretty much have to be a law professor to figure the majority of them out,if you had three hours to read them.

20. yaddc

yaddc Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Cameras on computers, Tvs spying on ya what the fuck is next.