Beethoven, Bach, Mozart, Brahms, Schubert and

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by LaserT, Apr 18, 2015.

1. LaserT

LaserT You have to have fun. Gold

Reputations:
  2. Fuzz Nuts

Fuzz Nuts VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    I have this vision of the composers in the title writing music for arts sake.

I love Williams but he seems more pop culture, but damn good pop culture. You may be right but I'm not with you quite yet. Sorry.

shitba likes this.
  3. LaserT

Reputations:
    Hey I agree Fuzz, the top guys are brilliant and I left out a few like Tchaikovsky, but John Williams hits the nails on the head on every movie he composes for. Just a great sound and just pure musical brilliance in my opinion. The dude rocks.

4. Fuzz Nuts

Fuzz Nuts VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    I
    I agree 100%.

Stravinsky is my boy. Love him.

LaserT likes this.
  5. zutroy

zutroy Totally nude. Totally flawless.

Reputations:
    Some of Jon Brion's compositions from "Magnolia" were definitely inspired by Williams' work on "Schlinder's List."

LaserT likes this.
  6. shitba

shitba Shot Dead VIP

Reputations:

Last edited: Apr 3, 2016
    LaserT likes this.
  7. Droog

Droog Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    People don't realize just how important the score is in a movie. It dictates the emotions we should be feeling. Scary movies or scenes are tame if the volume is turned down. Watch the end of Schindler's List without that violin and you'll make it through without tears. I don't know what he gets paid to do movies but it probably isn't enough.

LaserT and Fuzz Nuts like this.
  8. LaserT

Reputations:
    Will take a listen tomorrow.

9. BrerJimmy

BrerJimmy Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Who are 5 people who have never been in my kitchen?

LaserT likes this.
  10. LaserT

Reputations:
    The guy is priceless.

John Williams Oscar nominations
    March 2014

Academy Award nominations and Oscar wins for John Williams. Sources: johnwilliams.org, Oscars.org, Internet Movie Database, Wikipedia

How many Oscar nominations does John Williams have? John Williams has been nominated for 49 Academy Awards and won 5:
    Best music (scoring of music — adaptation or treatment), “Valley of the Dolls” (1967), lost to Alfred Newman, Ken Darby, “Camelot”
    Best music (score of a musical picture — original or adaptation), with Leslie Bricusse, “Goodbye, Mr. Chips” (1969), lost to Lennie Hayton and Lionel Newman, “Hello, Dolly!”
    Best music (original score — for a motion picture [not a musical]), “The Reivers” (1969), lost to Burt Bacharach, “Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid”
    Best music (scoring: adaptation and original song score), “Fiddler on the Roof” (1971), won
    Best music (original dramatic score), “images” (1972), lost to Charles Chaplin, Raymond Rasch, Larry Russell, “Limelight”
    Best music (original dramatic score), “The Poseidon Adventure” (1972), lost to Charles Chaplin, Raymond Rasch, Larry Russell, “Limelight”
    Best music (original dramatic score), “Cinderella Liberty” (1973), lost to Marvin Hamlisch, “The Way We Were”
    Best music (scoring: original song score and adaptation or scoring: adaptation), with Richard M. Sherman, Robert B. Sherman, “Tom Sawyer” (1973), lost to Marvin Hamlisch, “The Sting”
    Best music (song), with Paul Williams, for “Nice To Be Around,” “Cinderella Liberty” (1973), lost to Marvin Hamlisch, Alan Bergman, Marilyn Bergman, for “The Way We Were,” “The Way We Were”
    Best music (original dramatic score), “The Towering Inferno” (1974), lost to Nino Rota, Carmine Coppola, “The Godfather, Part II”
    Best music (original score), “Jaws” (1975), won
    Best music (original score), “Close Encounters of the Third Kind” (1977), lost to John Williams, “Star Wars”
    Best music (original score), “Star Wars” (1975), won
    Best music (original score), “Superman” (1978), lost to Giorgio Moroder, “Midnight Express”
    Best music (original score), “The Empire Strikes Back” (1980), lost to Michael Gore, “Fame”
    Best music (original score), “Raiders of the Lost Ark” (1981), lost to Vangelis, “Chariots of Fire”
    Best music (original song), with Alan Bergman, Marilyn Bergman, for “If We Were In Love,” “Yes, Giorgio” (1982), lost to Jack Nitzsche, Buffy Sainte-Marie, Will Jennings, for “Up Where We Belong,” “An Officer and a Gentleman”
    Best music (original score), “E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial” (1982), won
    Best music (original score), “Return of the Jedi” (1983), lost to Bill Conti, “The Right Stuff”
    Best music (original score), “Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom” (1983), lost to Maurice Jarre, “A Passage to India”
    Best music (original score), “The River” (1984), lost to Maurice Jarre, “A Passage to India”
    Best music (original score), “The Witches of Eastwick” (1987), lost to Ryuichi Sakamoto, David Byrne, Cong Su, “The Last Emperor”
    Best music (original score), “Empire of the Sun” (1987), lost to Ryuichi Sakamoto, David Byrne, Cong Su, “The Last Emperor”
    Best music (original score), “The Accidental Tourist” (1988), lost to Dave Grusin, “The Milagro Beanfield War”
    Best music (original score), “Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade” (1989), lost to Alan Menken, “The Little Mermaid”
    Best music (original score), “Born on the Fourth of July” (1989), lost to Alan Menken, “The Little Mermaid”
    Best music (original song), with Leslie Bricusse, for “Somewhere in My Memory,” “Home Alone” (1990), lost to Stephen Sondheim, for “Sooner Or Later (I Always Get My Man),” “Dick Tracy”
    Best music (original score), “Home Alone” (1990), lost to John Barry, “Dances With Wolves”
    Best music (original song), with Leslie Bricusse, for “When You’re Alone,” “Hook” (1991), lost to Alan Menken, Howard Ashman, for “Beauty and the Beast,” “Beauty and the Beast”
    Best music (original score), “JFK” (1991), lost to Alan Menken, “Beauty and the Beast”
    Best music (original score), “Schindler’s List” (1993), won
    Best music (original dramatic score), “Nixon” (1995), lost to Luis Enrique Bacalov, “The Postman (Il Postino)”
    Best music (original musical or comedy score), “Sabrina” (1995), lost to Alan Menken, Stephen Schwartz, “Pocahontas”
    Best music (original song), with Alan Bergman, Marilyn Bergman, for “Moonlight,” “Sabrina” (1995), lost to Alan Menken, Stephen Schwartz, for “Colors of the Wind,” “Pocahontas”
    Best music (original dramatic score), “Sleepers” (1996), lost to Gabriel Yared, “The English Patient”
    Best music (original dramatic score), “Amistad” (1997), lost to James Horner, “Titanic”
    Best music (original dramatic score), “Saving Private Ryan” (1998), lost to Nicola Piovani, “Life Is Beautiful”
    Best music (original score), “Angela’s Ashes” (1999), lost to John Corigliano, “The Red Violin”
    Best music (original score), “The Patriot” (2000), lost to Tan Dun, “Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon”
    Best music (original score), “A.I. Artificial Intelligence” (2001), lost to Howard Shore, “The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring”
    Best music (original score), “Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone” (2001), lost to Howard Shore, “The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring”
    Best music (original score), “Catch Me If You Can” (2002), lost to Elliot Goldenthal, “Frida”
    Best music (original score), “Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban” (2004), lost to Jan A.P. Kaczmarek, “Finding Neverland”
    Best music (original score), “Munich” (2005), lost to Gustavo Santaolalla, “Brokeback Mountain”
    Best music (original score), “Memoirs of a Geisha” (2005), lost to Gustavo Santaolalla, “Brokeback Mountain”
    Best music (original score), “The Adventures of Tintin” (2011), lost to Ludovic Bource, “The Artist”
    Best music (original score), “War Horse” (2011), lost to Ludovic Bource, “The Artist”
    Best music (original score), “Lincoln” (2012), lost to Mychael Danna, “Life of Pi”
    Best music (original score), “The Book Thief” (2013), lost to Steven Price, “Gravity”

11. ltd86

ltd86 Racist Banned User

Reputations:
    Schubert :confused:

can a nigga get some vivaldi, handel, wagner, or tchaikovsky?

Schubert:mad:

Williams is a beast, btw:hat:

LaserT likes this.
  12. LaserT

Reputations:

13. Hand Banana

Hand Banana Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    No Verdi or Wagner, and putting Beethoven before Bach?

Also, Bernard Hermann is the best composer of scores for film. Everyone knows that.

LaserT likes this.
  14. Hand Banana

Hand Banana Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I've never cried watching List. It's melodramatic, manipulative drivel.

Now, Come And See? That makes Spielberg look like the confectioner he is.

15. Tranquil

Tranquil Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I read the title, and was going to say John Williams. He is great, I listen to Cinemix online all day at work and I can always recognize his music. Few runners up would be Jerry Goldsmith, John Barry, and James Horner (Although James Horner copies a lot of his own music for each "original" score that he does, still a great composer)

16. peterfonda

peterfonda Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Fred once called Psych "the Mozart of the song parodies".

17. bobblebooey

bobblebooey Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Jaws "Barrel scene" without/with score.

LaserT likes this.
  18. joe361

joe361 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    How about some love for Ennio Morricone.

Tmmy Sirianni likes this.
  19. LaserT

Reputations:
    They were in no order. I just put up the most recognizable names making a post about John Williams. I was not comparing any of the greats in the post. I was just recognizing the great John Williams. :)

20. EmperorsNewCaps

EmperorsNewCaps Member

Reputations:
    Much like Spielberg, I've always found the dude immensely overrated and by-the-numbers bordering on cheese, sorry.

It's astounding how much of his work recycles themes or pieces from his earlier work. An obvious example would be how the Harry Potter theme is the exact same music as Home Alone, specifically when the kid does the extended montage while he sets up the booby traps.

And did the Olympics have that theme before or after Star Wars? Because it's very similar as the battle themes.

I do hate that old-school "classical" sound, though, it's so milquetoast in this day and age. The greats are great, sure, but I'd rather ride out bumping some Schoenberg in the whip versus Mozart. And Brahms? Laughable. Fuck neo-classical. I might pop on 'Wozzeck' right now.

It was said earlier, but Bernard Herrman curb stomps the shit outta Williams any day of the week. And his shit sounds ahead of its time even today. Dude pushed the boundaries of sound while Williams is straight outta 1775.

And he isn't even fit to wipe the ass of an Ennio Morricone. Talk about a bawse.