Before the Wall: Final chance to flee from East to West Berlin

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by jersery, Nov 7, 2014.

1. jersery

jersery Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:
    Nothing to add other than interesting period in history.

Aug. 12, 1961

Before the Wall: A final chance to flee from East to West Berlin.

[​IMG]
    On Saturday Aug. 12, 1961, a record number of people (approximately 4,000) fled from East to West Berlin. The following day, the world awoke to find 30 miles of barbed wire running through the heart of the city. The barrier was laid by East German soldiers. Two days later, on Tuesday Aug. 15, the same soldiers began to transform that wire into a wall — the Berlin Wall.
    [​IMG]
    After World War II, the Potsdam Conference had divided Germany into four occupied zones, each under the control of one of the allies: France, Britain, the United States and the Soviet Union. Berlin, the capital, lay in the eastern section controlled by Russia and was itself divided into sectors.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Between 1948 and 1961, 3 million people had fled the Communist state, representing one-sixth of East Germany's population. By August 1961, an average 2,000 people made the one-way journey from East to West Berlin each and every day.
    [​IMG]
    So began the creation of what was officially dubbed the "Anti-Fascist Protection Rampart." Checkpoints between the two sides were shut down, and the wire became the wall. For almost three decades, the wall cut Berlin in two. More than 100 people would die trying to make it across.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Wigward, blindbella and Bye You! like this.
  2. bobp

bobp Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    I was getting a bit emotional looking at these photos, especially seeing the older people. What a fucked up way to have to live. I hate that shit.
    Then I saw the Hasselhof photo at the end and I laughed my balls off. Damn that's funny.

Wigward likes this.
  3. jersery

jersery Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:
    And more walls to keep riff-raff out.

An Indian Border Security Force soldier patrols near the fenced border with Pakistan in Suchetgarh, southwest of Jammu on Jan. 14, 2013.
    [​IMG]
    A section of the controversial Israeli barrier cuts beneath the West Bank refugee camp of Shuafat on Oct. 31.
    [​IMG]
    Clothes hang for drying in the backyard of a home facing the border fence at the United States-Mexico border outside of Brownsville, Texas on Aug. 25.
    [​IMG]
    The moon is seen above the border fence which separates Morocco and Spain's north African enclave of Melilla on Dec 3, 2013.
    [​IMG]
    Tourists stand near a barbed wire fence near the demilitarized zone which separates North and South Korea in Paju on Oct. 31.
    [​IMG]
    A view of the border fence which separates Morocco and Spain's north African enclave of Melilla on Dec. 3, 2013.
    [​IMG]

Children play in a park next to a fence marking the United Nations buffer zone in a partially restricted area in the Turkish Cypriot controlled area of central Nicosia on March 14. Cyprus is split by the buffer zone east to west, with ethnic Greeks living in the south, and Turks in the north.
    [​IMG]
    White people
    [​IMG]