Ben Affleck: I can handle the Batman haters

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by HS Cult Leader, Sep 17, 2013.

1. HS Cult Leader

HS Cult Leader Elite Member Gold

Reputations:
    [h=1]Ben Affleck: I can handle the Batman haters[/h] Published September 17, 2013
    TVGuide

[​IMG]

Ben Affleck says he can handle all the backlash he's received since he was announced as Batman in the Man of Steel sequel.
    "I'm a big boy," he told Jimmy Fallon on Monday's Late Night. "I can handle any snub. I can handle anything," he joked, referring to Oscar nomination snub for directing Argo.

Affleck said that Warner Bros. cautioned him that fans of the comics have been known to bash whoever was cast in the respective role. The actor said executives said to him: "'Listen, we want to talk to you because people go through this process and it can be trying. ... We want to show you some of the reactions that past people who have been cast have gotten, like on the Internet and stuff.' [They showed me] people who were in these movies who did a great job and [commenters would] say, 'Kill him!'"

2. cia212

cia212 Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    It's not the actor that's a target per se, it's when he and the writers take a great character from my childhood and ass-rape the memory. It's lazy to say that people will hate you no matter what when the reality is that people will only hate it if you do a bad job. It's like anything else, I don't hate building contractors, but I hate the one who screwed up my media room.

3. Judy Garland

Judy Garland New Member Banned User

Reputations:
    He and that Damon continue to punish audiences because of Good Will Hunting. My God, when will it end?

4. The Booey

The Booey Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Well, he's going to have plenty of opportunities to prove it. :giggle:

5. itpdude

itpdude New Member

Reputations:
    After the deluge of stupid super hero films, it's great to see one where the casting director trolls the fans of shitty super hero flicks.

6. Judy Garland

Judy Garland New Member Banned User

Reputations:
    LOL. I enjoyed the first few years of the comic book movie craze but it's beyond unoriginal now. Reboots of Spiderman? Are you kidding me? We're done with these movies now. Let's move onto the next big thing.

7. slacker

slacker New Member

Reputations:
    There should be a rule that once you play one super hero, u can't play another one... Hint hint Affleck and Reynolds...

8. whatsit

whatsit Dawg Lover VIP

Reputations:
    one word... Gigli

9. itpdude

itpdude New Member

Reputations:
    It's been going on forever, too. It's all quick-cuts, Super-Smash Bros. style movies. The CGI is impressive, but let's get real about it: When the CGI is the focus (as in, "man, the effects were incredible!"), the movie is not going to hold up. You know, like 2001: A Space Odyssey.

I think the effects are pretty well-done, but they aren't the focus. And man, that flick has held up.

10. newcastlefan

newcastlefan גֵּרְשֹׁם VIP

Reputations:
    having seen his reactions to negative reviews in the past, no he can't.

11. newcastlefan

newcastlefan גֵּרְשֹׁם VIP

Reputations:
    btw, the only movies i will pay to see him in, are kevin smith productions. is kevin producing batman?

12. itpdude

itpdude New Member

Reputations:
    Ha ha, you have a point. It's always suspicious to me when someone feels the need to make a point that they don't care what others think or how tough they are and all.

It screams something else entirely.

13. beetlejosh

beetlejosh I got a head that's large Gold

Reputations:
  14. Wigward Hairhat

Wigward Hairhat Active Member

Reputations:
    I wonder will Affleck wear his wig when he plays Batman or just save it for the scenes where he's Bruce?

15. hidden dragon

hidden dragon the princess of darkness Staff Member

Reputations:
    'This casting director has guaranteed this movie is going to be beyond stupid. It's going to be retarded beyond belief. Affleck should of been banned from super hero flicks after DareDevil.

16. Chimney Portions

Chimney Portions I drink cum Banned User

Reputations:
    Gobble gobble.

17. MarvelComics85

MarvelComics85 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    First things first, I never minded Ben Affleck as Batman. Yes, it's a little similar to Daredevil, but it will be under a strong production crew.

18. whatsit

whatsit Dawg Lover VIP

Reputations:
    [video=youtube;YaPUYy8WSC0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=YaPUYy8WSC0[/video]

2:40 Mark.

19. Chimney Portions

Chimney Portions I drink cum Banned User

Reputations:
    I can't stand Superman and I'm not the biggest Batman fan, so I really don't care. But, as talented as Affleck might be at directing, I've never seen him doing anything that leads me to think that he could pull off Bruce Wayne or a menacing Dark Knight.

Defenders keep saying, "Yeah, well people said the same thing about Michael Keaton and look how that turned out." Yeah, but before Burton's Batman, the only live action Batman that anybody had seen was Adam fucking West. So of course Keaton pulled it off. But Kilmer didn't. Clooney didn't. So I really see this thing being a disaster. Something that will make money, but turn off audiences.

You know who the star of a Batman movie is? Batman! Bale was relatively unknown, but Batman Begins was huge. Picking an established guy who's not exactly the epitome of coolness ans masculinity just doesn't make any sense. But if you look at all the casting choices that Warner Bros. has made in its recent superhero lineup (excluding the Dark Knight Trilogy), that shouldn't be a surprise I guess.

People should remember that Nicholas Cage was once dangerously close to playing Superman. Warner Bros. has a huge history of sabotaging their own franchises.

[​IMG]

20. whatsit

whatsit Dawg Lover VIP

Reputations:
    The Kevin Smith wrap is worth listening to but it may have already been posted?