Bengals furious over flag for hit on Dez Bryant

Discussion in 'The Bar' started by Lucky Pierre, Dec 10, 2012.

1. Lucky Pierre

Lucky Pierre Well-Known Member

Reputations:

[video=youtube;psWMWRg9jgA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psWMWRg9jgA[/video]

During the third quarter of Sunday’s Cowboys-Bengals game, Dallas faced a third-and-20 andTony Romo launched a deep ball along the sideline to Dez Bryant. For a split-second Bryant had it, but then Bengals safety Reggie Nelson came in and lowered his shoulder into Bryant’s chest, dislodging the ball. The Bengals began to celebrate a big stop.

And then the Cowboys began to celebrate as a flag came out.

The referee announced a personal foul on Nelson for the hit (which you can see here), but it’s hard to see why: Nelson didn’t lead with his head, and he didn’t hit Bryant in the head. The Bengals looked furious on the field, and afterward both Nelson and coach Marvin Lewis said they had no idea what Nelson did wrong.

“That’s what [defensive coordinator Mike] Zimmer teaches us – to go low and not aim for anybody’s head,” Nelson told the Cincinnati Enquirer. “I think I did a good job of taking that teaching.”

Lewis said he thinks Nelson’s hit was so clean that the NFL should provide it to players as an example of the right way for a defensive back to do his job.

“I thought it was a great target and probably one that will be on their teaching reel of how to do it,” Lewis said. “Reggie’s done a good job with those things. He was on their teaching reel last year, and I thought that one was picture perfect.”

One of the most frustrating aspects of the penalty is that the official who appeared to have the best view of the collision didn’t throw his flag. The flag came from another official farther away, and yet the official who was right on top of the play didn’t correct his colleague’s mistake.

The penalty ended up not being particularly costly to the Bengals, as the Cowboys threw back-to-back incompletions and then Nelson himself forced Dallas to punt by sacking Romo on third down. But just because it wasn’t costly doesn’t mean the Bengals aren’t right to complain. This was a bad call.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...gie-nelson-was-flagged-for-hit-on-dez-bryant/

2. LonghornJ

LonghornJ VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    They should be, that was a bullshit call.

3. freds

freds you broke it VIP

Reputations:
    good hit.

that referee is a bigger douchebag than Ed Hochuli. probably his nephew.

4. Billy Brown

Billy Brown Thinking big VIP

Reputations:
    Clean hit

5. BearShit

BearShit BearShit + Tom Hardy = BFF

Reputations:
    the game is over and been over 24 hrs since. who gives a shit nothing can be done

6. kelliejean

kelliejean Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    bengals :cheer:

7. Harry Gibbs

Harry Gibbs the boss of all men

Reputations:
    i think his faggit dreadlocks flew up an made it seem like it was helmet to helmet when seen in regular speed.